The Warlords at Warhammer World

Ben Johnson

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great weekend, 6 top games, great atmosphere, no issues at all.  WHW is a great venue, food was top notch, and th  pub quiz great fun.  Thanks to those I met and made the weekend what it was.  Only downside was I missed out on the WHTV coverage which looks pretty epic, and the 5 hour journey home afterwards (5 games next time please :))

19 minutes ago, Terry Pike said:

@Arkiham My list was:

• Kairos Fateweaver
  • Great Unclean One
  • Sayl The Faithless
  • 3x10 Plaguebearers
  • 6 Stormfiends with Warpfire Projectors
  • 2 Warp Lightning Cannons

A full podcast of the event will be recorded in the coming weeks so we'll go into everything in detail.

Did you use a balewind? 

Amazing event! Great practice game vs Ben Curry - never faced the Legion before.

6 sweet games. Thanks all. I was fortunate to play some big names with stunning armies (Les Martin, Bryan Carmichael and Mark Wildman's inventive fanatic conversions). 

Great mix of factions on the adjoining tables and at the top. A little too much Gunline/bunker for my taste (6 out of 6 games) - but all fun.

Really slick organisation and little details like break-off cardboard score sheets and flexibility on tables when club mates drawn against each other. Fun pub quiz (went to a double tie break - at which point my dice failed). Cheers to the winners for donating their prize. Milkshakes were a strong shout.

If people are that upset about Balewinds, I suggested earlier either allowing models to charge them on an "8" (through interpretation of the 3 inch rule) or just allowing them to attack the base of the vortex (measuring like garrisoning).

The double range allows you to take a risk to make the likes of the Dark Elf Sorceress, Daemonsmith, Be'Lakor's spell, Vampire Lord's spell etc. viable. I'm looking squarely at you Savage Orruk Archers as this is a partial counter. Magic is seriously weak at the moment under the GH with heroes costed a tad high and the rules of one (except ironically for doubling the speed of Orruk Arrowboyz and giving them another +1 to hit). Was there a single Nagash at The Warlords?

Ironically he's a hard counter to the Savage Orruks as he is 2+ rerolling ones against their shooting (I think the filth get -1 rend against monsters) and he can heal off their pants bravery.

I had a great weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the event. I can honestly say I've never had 6 games against such awesome opponents at a Tournament ever, stretching all the way back to 6th edition.

My results at the table weren't anything to write home about, but with Ironjawz that was always going to be the case - I feel they are very much gonna come middle(ish) of the pack for the most part. Sure, they punch face super hard (which leads some people to thinking they are awesome after they get run over by them), but are deceptively weak and the models just fall away with relative ease. The fact that the 4 pure Ironjawz players (me, Pete, James & Alistair) that I was tracking all finished on around about the same record reaffirms this. I still love them.

Was great to hang out with so many cool people and good friends. Met some new guys as well who were super sound and hopefully I'll get to play them in the future.

Had a great Saturday night, first at the venue, then at the hotel bar and finally in Rock City until super late with Andy, Liam and Pano. Was a fun time. Literally can't speak today.

Congrats to all the winners. Especially pleased to see my friends from Facehammer doing so well on the painting. Good work boys.

On the topic of painting, I was obviously disappointed to not be nominated (or even get an honourable mention!!) but there is no hard feeling. I think the armies that did were all good. It was tough for the judges as they were just wandering around during games and looking top down at nearly 100 armies (understandable they wouldn't be able to get down at table level to look at all armies - would've taken all weekend in of itself), not an enviable job at all! My models are mostly black from the top and the lighting in there took the top highlight or two off everything (an issue for everyone tbh). Also when able to display armies as you would at an independent event on the Saturday lunchtime you also had the individual contest, meaning two of my best models were in cabinets and not part of the set up.

Many many thanks to all the people who came over to express their surprised that mine wasn't up there, I did appreciate it a lot especially as a lot of it was from painters I really respect. I don't consider not getting nominated as a knock on my ability or anything, nor do I consider the countless hours put in over the last couple of weeks a waste as there are plenty more tournaments coming up where I can try again.

I did hear comments about them only picking armies they already knew (staffers etc). I don't have a problem with this whatsoever. In a field of that size, it would've been very hard for anyone to pick out a finite amount of armies for the cabinet. It makes perfect sense you would check out armies that you know to be good - this happens at all independent events to some extent. I think every army nominated was entirely worthy and I certainly have no sense of entitlement. I'm sure there were countless other people there with equal aspirations to myself who would've also been disappointed.

I was in two minds whether to post anything on this matter but I've had a number of texts, tweets and DM's since the event asking about it. I realise commenting on may make it appear I feel bitter or whatever, but I do want it to be crystal clear that any disappointment is purely down to my own personal targets and all of the above is meant in a positive and constructive manner. I think the judges did a great job and congratulations should be given to all 7 painters for their awesome armies (and at least 2 other Ironjawz armies made it, so we were well represented!), I really enjoyed checking them all out.

I really really hope I've covered that in a suitable fashion and have conveyed my feelings as intended. Painting is such a tough thing to discuss in this manner as it's so easy to come across as a bad loser or whatever!! There is not a single ounce of negativity to be drawn from this post, so don't go trying to find one internet! :P

Much love,

Chris x

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I really really hope I've covered that in a suitable fashion and have conveyed my feelings as intended. Painting is such a tough thing to discuss in this manner as it's so easy to come across as a bad loser or whatever!! There is not a single ounce of negativity to be drawn from this post, so don't go trying to find one internet! :P

What you said. ;)

I think painting like sportsmanship is such a subjective subject and it's such a weird one to get nominated for, let alone win! Especially when you know there are lots of lovely armies out there as well as lovely players. I also don't think the lights in Warhammer World help, when setting things up on the board as some armies can get passed over for whatever reason. I was gutted you didn't get a nomination (especially how hard you worked) but I know it would have been tough competition!

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

See this I don't get, why do they insist they're fine as they are yet ban them in the tournament..

I suspect they banned the Balewind Vortexes, because it was probably something a lot of players weren't aware about/thought about. It's a cool idea but could be seen as a secret weapon and got sent off (nice Blood Bowl reference) ;)

16 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I suspect they banned the Balewind Vortexes, because it was probably something a lot of players weren't aware about/thought about. It's a cool idea but could be seen as a secret weapon and got sent off (nice Blood Bowl reference) ;)

The pack said you can only use Warscrolls with pitched battle profiles. None of the terrain has these, so technically you can't even use Sylvaneth woods!

I took mine up with me, didn't realize it was outlawed , never tried to use it in the end anyway . I pushed John for a clarification when I was in the registration queue and he just skirted around it and said come get me if it comes up in game, so I just couldn't really be bothered to summon something I didn't know the rules for in the end.

Only time I could think it might've been useful was in game 5, 3 places of power, but that was a weird game for me anyway as my opponent on the bottom tables was quite angry and just got upset and rage quitted by turn 2 because he was having a bad day or something (still not quite sure what was going there)

18 hours ago, Theslowcentury said:

Great event - had five good games out of the six! Cheers to my opponents and the special sub-culture we formed down the the tables between 40 & 49!

Exeter ruled tables 47-50!

Thanks to everyone I met up there, was nice to meet so many friendly faces. Was a great weekend. And good to see some Rygas guys up there =)

Looking forward to more events in the distant future when I'm next in the UK again.

Next one is in Auckland in 2 weeks with @Tronhammer NZ

Well I just about recovered from six amazing games of age of Sigmar against six top guys.

I took my nurgle demons, the same list I took to Alliance and this time won four out of the six and came 13th overall.

i had an excellent time. 

Game 1 I played the legend that is Dan Heelan and his serephon and had a blast it was scary playing against Saurus guard as I ve used them myself and know how though they are. I however challenged the power of the GUO who was a beast and refused to die and won the scenario with a major victory and lost no units and took all Dans army off bar a unit of skinks. This was a complete shock !!!!. An absolute pleasure to play him.

Game 2 shot me to the heights of table 8 and a game versus Brian Carmichael and his storm casts. I looked at the massed ranks of shooting and was really concerned that I was going to get shot off and managed to whether it until turn 4 when I lost a unit of drones and was now down on points by 440 I needed something to go my way and charged both GUO into four concussors and killed them in one turn and en killed his gryh hound and was now in with a chance but then Brian killed a unit of plague bearers for 200 so it was now 640 v 600. Turn 5 and I had to push and try and kill a unit to pull back 40 points I tried to charge one GUO into the fray but was 13 inches away and as result Brian shot him off despite my three saves so he took the game 880 to 600. A minor loss but a really fun game with lots of tactics ie running away and hiding by both of us lol. Again an awesome game.

Game 3 was escalation against Liam and his Clan Skyre List now this was a lesson in excellent list design the army runs like clockwork and he knows it well which met it was a really though game but I was scoring as I was dying and after a multitude of mortal words it was a major loss for me but by one point 8 to 7 so I was disappointed but then ordered four boxes of storm fiends for a variation of this list but with no tunnelling. Liam was a gent and after the game really explained how it works and ways to prevent it being so effective....... Those thoughts for another time.

so I finished day one with three great games and one win and two loses.

Day Two arrived and I discovered I was playing flesh eater courts against Alex and with two terror gheist and formations galore and three rings of immortality, I was worried about this but discovered at a ghoul patrol can't come within 9 inches when it arrives and a cunning plan was developed which prevented any rear charge plans for Alex and as such I racked up a massive amount of points and won the game despite having a terror gheist come back to life on me !!! Again a really great opponent.

Game 5 and I got to play a chap named Josh who gave the probably the best game of age of Sigmar I have ever had it was against a mixed chaos list with a doom bull general and a bullgor formation that was lethal the scenario was three place of power and I ran all my characters onto the objectives and settled in for a massive scrap and by George it was !!!!!!! A unit of bullgors with great weapons charged into a great unclean one and he held them for a few turns until they went crazy and inflicted thirty wounds from three guys the formation helps and 5 and sixes to wound explode into two extra hits some ten hits nine hits turned into lots of wounds and despite three saves that was one dead GUO!!!!!! This was simply amazing!!!!!! however due to my early game scoring I won another game 

Game 5 was take and hold against Bob and his khorne and Tzeentch Demons a truly fitting end to the weekend demons v demons and all to play for in a tough scenario I decided to go all out for the win as did Bob with skarbrand and a bloodthirster I ran 12 drones at his objective he ran most of his army at mine..... Skarbrand decided he did not like my general and smashed him off the face of the board with his axes.... 8 wounds no save whatsoever is no fun but awesome to witness !!!!! However the drones won me the game by landing turn 3 on his objective killing some blood letters an giving me the instant win......

Overall an excellent weekend seeing some old faces and new and playing an awesome game with lots of fun people the atmosphere was great no  I can't wait for the next one.... Hopefully the GT if Mrs B says so !!!!!

1 hour ago, Terry Pike said:

The lighting in the hall took even down the level of vibrancy of my army, luckily it looked super bright under the cabinet lights.

Totally agree, the lighting in there was odd. It seemed to wash out all my subtle blending and shading and made my army apear like one big yellow luminous light bulb.

I was somewhat concerned that I'd gone a bit too bright, so when I got back today I took the army out to give it another look over and it's perfectly fine.

They should really try and sort the lighting out, afterall, the best thing about miniature games is the miniatures.

P.S Loved the look of your army and was surprised it didn't win.

Archived