Paralyzed by doubt, waiting for points?

Are you in hobby limbo waiting for the General's Handbook, nervous to start anything because it might be invalidated by the points scheme?  I've got a couple ideas on how you can proceed with minimal risk.

1) Aim toward formations.  We don't know anything for sure, but it's a REALLY good bet that most published formations will be attainable.

2) Paint units in even multiples of the minimum size.  Again, we don't know anything for sure, but it's another good bet that minimum unit sizes will still apply, as per warscrolls, and it's a moderately good guess that units existing in multiples of the minimum size will still be a thing.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to push through the doubts and worries that some folk seem to be operating under, and pick up a brush/clippers?

I'm sticking to formations as well, can't really go wrong that way I figure. You should see how much stuff I've built and painted the last couple weeks....but I'll need to get around to pics first :)

The way I'm approaching it is picking a formation or set of models I like the look of. I don't see the point about worrying too much about the general's handbook as all we know is that it has three ways of playing and the Baddice, Heelanhammer and Facehammer guys seem quite happy with it.

No point worrying about the meta that the book will bring it, as it will change over time ;)

I just paint stuff I like. I can see the models and rules and I will make it work when points come.

[emoji4]

Same here. I love my greenskin and don't really care how points will effect them. I'll make them work. So I'm going to keep putting them together and paint my WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

The reason I started the topic was that I've been seeing on FB and Twitter a chorus of "I'm waiting for the GH...",  "Not gonna start anything until we see the GH...", etc.

Seems like a convenient excuse to procrastinate, but not really a legit reason to drop all hobby.  "I don't feel like it" is a PERFECTLY cromulent reason not to do hobby, it's not mandatory after all, but ruleset paralysis pretty much isn't, at least in this case.

I've only just got into AoS in the last couple of months after a long period of working on 30k.  However, I'm still working on the same principle I was when I started - building towards set formations.

When the points appear, units / heroes I take may have to be tweaked, but our gaming group has already briefly discussed just continuing as we were as we prefer the more narrative style of play.  Either method is valid and we only have a few more weeks to wait (hopefully).

I'm thinking about investing in some Auric Hearthguard but apart from dropping the reddies my hobby time is pretty limited so I don't want to invest the time if they turn out to be uncompetitive.

i do know my basing scheme so I'm playing around with that and doing some test models for the colour scheme. By the time the generals handbook is out I'll be ready to crack on immediately.

I'm actually finding the opposite. The imminent release of the handbook has rekindled my interest in painting and playing, neither of which I've done for ages. And it's not because of points, which I'm really not fussed about – I think it's more that the fact it's coming seems to have invigorated the community. 

On 17/06/2016 at 4:13 PM, Penddraig said:

I've only just got into AoS in the last couple of months after a long period of working on 30k.  However, I'm still working on the same principle I was when I started - building towards set formations.

When the points appear, units / heroes I take may have to be tweaked, but our gaming group has already briefly discussed just continuing as we were as we prefer the more narrative style of play.  Either method is valid and we only have a few more weeks to wait (hopefully).

Completely :)  One of the really good things about AoS is that it's as flexible as it is.  One thing that flitted across my brain last night after we'd chatted was that the points cost could be used to determine the underdog bonus rather than the wound difference.  This way we'd still stick with a limited number of models (means we know it'll fit on the gaming boards) but give a bit a of thought towards points rather than being dictated by it.

Archived