Audio Dramas

AdamJ

Hello all,

I'm currently working my way through the Realmgate Wars novels and I'm really enjoying the ride. I've been considering trying out the Audio Dramas. It looks like there are two series so far - The Hunt for Nagash and Knights of Vengeance. What are peoples opinion of them? Are they worth investing in? How essential are they in terms of building up a full picture of the Realmgate Wars?

Also, even at the discounted subscription rate, £35 is a lot of money for the full series. Do Black Library have a history putting their Audio Dramas on sale eventually?

I've only listened to some of the 40K ones so pinch of salt is needed but I think they are really good. The production values are great and it does what it says on the tin. I want to get round to the new Age of Sigmar ones but not too sure when I would find time to listen to them (not much chance at home at minute and commute to work is too short and I'm one of these people who has to listen/read until the end!)

I've listening to all of The Hunt for Nagash and the first sequel of that. Loved the Hunt for Nagash, the entire thing is great. Seriously good. The first from the Knights of Vengeance was good as well. I just haven't had the time or cash to buy the rest yet.

I have listened to both The Hunt for Nagash and Knights of Vengeance and thought they were both great.  Would say I preferred The Hunt for Nagash as enjoyed the interaction with Manfred and he is voiced just how I imagine him.  I would say my only issues with the audio dramas is they are relatively short for the price (but still worth it as production quality is top)  and also each episode tends to repeat a fair amount of information as they do a lot of recap, I guess for those jumping in at a random episode or just to remind you between releases.  It got confusing for me listening back to back though as I though I was listening to the old episode again due to the start being so similar.

I would say these are not a requirement to understanding the bigger picture but they really helped me to feel like the world had a little more grounding as they give a little more character and encounter inhabitants of the realms.  Also be prepared for a lot of battles as these happen a little bit too often for my taste (know this is kind of the point)

I have yet to listen to any of the audio books in the realmgate wars, so cant really contrast.  But have been reading the big realmgate wars books from GW.

One thing I would note is I have also been finishing up reading all the End Times big books and novels, and although I'm fully enjoying AOS fluff I really am enjoying End Times more as the characters and underlying plot development seem much more compelling.  How do the AOS novels compare?

Sounds like a lot of positivity on here for the audio dramas, I think I'll give them a go!

One thing I would note is I have also been finishing up reading all the End Times big books and novels, and although I'm fully enjoying AOS fluff I really am enjoying End Times more as the characters and underlying plot development seem much more compelling.  How do the AOS novels compare?

I've not read the end time novels. AoS is the first version I've both played and read the novels for. So far all the Realmgate novels have been excellent and have really helped me to see what GW is trying to do with AoS. One thing I would mention is they are very Stormcast heavy so it'll either inspire you to start a stormcast army, or if stormcast aren't you thing you may find them not for you.

The audiodrama's are an insta buy- well at least for me. Love em to bits. Mannfred is just so enjoyable (gotta say I had to get used to his voice but now I can't hear em without it). The Stormcasts are also pretty good, but the best is Nagash. His voice gets better and better if you go through the Hunt for Nagash series. It send chills down my spine a couple of times!

I haven't listened to the new series yet but I am planning to. Very excited to continue the story.

They are amazingly done. The audio short stories are basically a side story directly proceeding Ghal Maraz. I'm guessing a build up to the first major undead release. 

You left out two major audio novels; the entire series of Wardens of the Everqueen and Call of Archaon - both amazing. The events of the Wardens of the Everqueen set the stage for the new Sylvaneth releases and the summer campaign.

Personally I hope even more come out on audio, it allows for multitasking such as painting while listening.

As others have said, the audio dramas are great, highly recommend them! All of the voice acting is spot on and the writing it terrific as well. I'm eagerly waiting the last one from David Guyer that's coming out soon. I have reviews of them all up on my site if you are interested.

Prisoner of the Black Sun

Sands of Blood

Lords of Helstone

Bridge of Seven Sorrows

Beasts of Cartha

Fist of Mork, Fist of Gork

Great Red

I think that the audio dramas are really good, particularly the first series which prominently features Nagash. The voice acting is great and they give a good sense of stories and alliances that don't conform to the Grand Alliance structure. The second series has a lot of Ironjaws and I was happy to hear that they carried through the style of voices from the few 40k audio dramas that featured orks. I hope that have a mother series in the pipes because I like the format of subscription and getting a pleasant surprise with new episodes like this morning with the last part of the current series. I hope the next series moves away from Ramos and the Hallowed Knights because whilst I like the Hallowed Knights, Ramos is a pillock. If wishes were horses I'd like to hear an audio drama featuring Fire Slayers who appear to be the literal red-headed step child of AoS.

4 hours ago, shinros said:

Listening to it right now. :D

Saw on Dakka, for a brief moment between whiney mofos bitching and moaning, that you were good enough to have a spoiler tag:) I'll listen to it tomorrow I guess. I'm excited and am waiting to read your spoiler text until I give it a listen.

correction, everything up to Warbeast is on an audio novel. Well, well worth the $50. However if you are diligent you can split it with friends as the MP3 is shareable. Not sure the legality of this - you can legally give your friend a book for free but I don't think you can photocopy every page for him. IP laws are confusing. 

I'm really loving the realmgate stuff, I think most of it is really well written. Call of Archaon and Guardians of the Everqueen in particular! I might try out the audio dramas based on the solid reviews here. I just wish they were available through audible!

Thanks for all the replies. I've just picked up the Prisoner of the Black Sun and...wow! Really high production values - a great performance from the cast with some brutal SFX! I'd always been put off as I though £10 was pricey for 70 mins whereas a £10 book would last me 5-10 hours. However I guess on reflection it's just the same as buying a music album and I found it well worth the price. I think I will also replay this more than I'll reread the books too!

Whilst the Audio Dramas have all the background music and SFX - do the Audiobooks have likewise or are they just someone reading the novel aloud?

@Mengel Miniatures Really enjoying all your AoS related review - thanks for taking the time to upload them.

6 minutes ago, AdHocGames said:

I've listened to the Hunt for Nagash, that was worth the money. But if you would rather read about Mannfred and friends, the novelisation is released this week - Mortarch of Night.

Yeah there is a cheaper hardback version and ebook version it's all 8 audio drama's in one book. Considering the name of the book I KNEW it was more about mannfred than anyone else yeah the stormcast are there but it felt like they were continuing his development from end times when I listened to them. 

As someone who listened to the audio drama version I recommend it for those who are not interested in listening to audio drama's. 

Right after glancing through all gates and reading the Death all gate blurb. Nagash is plotting something for sure. I mean the audio drama's were made into a official realm gate book and he did not turn up for the big she bang. Plus the events in the audio drama shows that he is planning for something. 

Destruction is punking the other factions as always. 

Archived