Today I played the Battleplan, "The Fiend's Lair" from the Fyreslayer's Battletome. What a game.

So to summarise the mission. My lodge has heard that deep within a nearby cavern lies a hoard of ur-gold. The only issue is that they do not know what else is in said cavern. As it transpires, there is a vast horde of undead, and the ur-gold is locked in the yet-undiscovered lair of the Undead Lord.

The Fyreslayers begin 12" on a square, with the 24" tile next to them void. Once they enter each of the other 4 square remaining on the board the enemy player sets up whatever units he has allocated to those squares, with the enemy general having to be set up in the final square. A very computer gamey, old style dungeon crawl mission, and as it turns out, a lot of fun, even when your opponent goes overboard with the undead. Oh and there's a rule where, in squares 2 and 3, zombies drop down from the cavern ceiling as potential reinforcements, or just splatter onto the ground in a shower of innards.

I deployed

Auric Runefather, 2 Runesons on Magmadroths, Runemaster, 2 Runesmiters, Battlesmith, 3 Grimwrath Berzerkers, 2 units of ten Vulkites, 2 units of 10 Hearthguard Berzerkers, 10 Auric Hearthguard and a Doomseeker.

Pics attached, the board, My deployment, the battleplan map.

Deployment.JPG

Deployment 2.JPG

Battleplan.JPG

My turn 1, and I make a tactical error, I move my whole army forward, with the doomseeker making it 1" over the line in to the first unknown cavern tile. I should have waited and taken another turn of movement before crossing the starting line, as this mean the undead got the drop on me. An error, but a fluffy one I feel, as it means that the undead, as defenders, got to spring their trap on me. So the undead player reveals....

2 units of 30 Zombies

20 Ghouls

Wight King

Vampire

Banshee

Varghulf

Between the Varghulf, Zombies and Ghouls I lose a pile of slayers. the Doomseeker manages to roll 3 1's to hit the vhargulf on 2's and goes down hard. I also lose both units of Gearthguard Berzerkers (despite their 4++ saves) and a unit of vulkites. It's only when the Grimwrath Berzerkers hit the undead lines that dead bodies start flying everywhere. 4 turns later and I have cleared this tile, but have taken significant casualties in doing so.

Pics attached, the undead revealed, the casualty pile.

Square1 (2).JPG

square1casualties.JPG

Onto the next tile, and I learn a lesson from tile 1, I make sure I take a turn to line up my forces, and my first movement of the following turn reveals the undead forces, allowing me to shoot and charge them before they can react.

This tile reveals

Necromancer

20 Ghouls

20 Skeletons

20 Zombies

Bone Giant

Corpse Cart

3 Crypt Horrors

banshee

cairn wraith

When revealed I use the magmadroths, who excel at destroying hordes in fiery death, to butcher the ghouls and zombies, my other infantry characters get the skeletons and the crypt horrors, leaving the bone giant, corpse cart and ethereals to counter charge me. I lose a few wounds here and there. the only real casualty is a Grimwarth who goes down to the Necromancer's Arcane Bolts.

Tile cleared in three turns, pretty good going.

Pics attached, the reveal and the result.

square2.JPG

square2end.JPG

So onwards for my Brave Fyreslayers, battered though they had been, they knew they were half-way to the Ur-gold. This is the turn where I forgot to take photos so wall of text ensues. Magmadroth sticks its nose into tile 3 and reveals:

Ghoul King

Vampire

3 Crypt Horrors

20 Ghouls

30 Zombies

This turned out to not be enough to stop me, as my now character heavy force battered through the undead in short order. I did finally lose a magmadroth to accumulated wounds.

Up next, the final tile and the Boss fight!

Pic attached, some zombies that fell from the cavern ceiling.

zombies.JPG

So this time I take two turns of just getting ready to attack tile 4, fending off a few dozen zombies that drop from the cavern ceiling.

Then I bravely send forth my surving Magmadroth to reveal that the Lair belongs to Neferata, one of Nagsh's Mortarchs. (My opponent had been sitting with his Nagash conspicuous by his side cackling, but this had turned out to be a ruse)

Undead forces deployed:

Neferata

Vampire

Terrorgheist

Varghulf

20 Grave Guard

Wight King

20 Zombies

My remaining forces quickly hammer through the zombies, wights and King, however the counter-attacking double turn from the undead allows Neferata, the Varghulf and the Terrorgheist to scream/bolt/charge me to death.

My final turn I have only a solitary Auric Runesmiter left who dies in desperate combat with neferata, only to be turned in to a Vampire Thrall by Neferata's blade.

So ended the game. Tile 4 turned out to be a tile too far for my brave Duardin. Neferata's bubble of -1 to hit and the terrorgheist screams were just too much for me.

A brilliant game and a battleplan that I heartily recommend to all.

Pics attached, the reveal, the fight and the result (vampyr thrall)

square4.JPG

ohdear.JPG

vampyrthrall.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Realm of Nordland said:

Hi, New to the forum.

This Battle Plan sounds excellent. I don't have the Fyreslayer BT as went Stormcast/Free Guild but I might have to try and hunt down this plan. Impressive army also.

Thanks very much. Heartily recommended scenario. If you have the AOS app and don't mind micro-transactions its 'only' £2.29.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived