White Dwarf is returning as a monthly magazine (praise Tzeentch!)

Shane

More info: http://www.blacklibrary.com/white-dwarf-digital.html

I'll be subscribing to show my support. About time this went monthly. Proper content again.

[Thumb - wdm2.jpg]

It’s Back! White Dwarf is returning as a monthly magazine and it’s bigger and better than ever before!

From September, White Dwarf will be back as a glossy 156-page, A4 magazine with all the news, features and pictorials you know and love – and a whole chunk of new stuff you never imagined. News! Golden Demon! Battle Reports! Painting Masterclasses! Designers Notes! Exclusive games and rulesets! And of course, gorgeous photographs of the best fantasy miniatures in the world.

The first issue is out on Friday 2nd September and comes with our most amazing cover mount ever – a special gift to you to celebrate the glorious return of monthly White Dwarf.

Subscribe before 14 August and get an exclusive pre-launch price – and subscribers get their copies mailed early. 

Great news:D. I had gotten used to the weekly format but then flicked through a few old monthly issues and couldn't believe how much more content they had. My only hope is that they keep up the same amount of Paint Splatter guides.

The introductory prices seem reasonable. I think I'll set up the £12:50 quarterly direct debit and see if it's worth keeping up or just cherry picking certain issues. Here's to hoping the free gift is AoS related!

9 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I'm less positive. I only buy AoS issues of the weekly and leave the 40k ones on the shelf. Can't buy half (or less?) of a monthly mag, assuming the monthly mag carries both, and I'll feel ripped off flip flip flip flipping past the 40k pages.

Guess it depends on what it'll cost you. Might end up being the same actual cost either way.

Plus you might just see something neat for 40k...or at least that's what GW will hope to achieve. The current format splits the games' audience, for better or for worse.

5 minutes ago, Shane said:

Guess it depends on what it'll cost you. Might end up being the same actual cost either way.

Plus you might just see something neat for 40k...or at least that's what GW will hope to achieve. The current format splits the games' audience, for better or for worse.

That's what I was thinking. I probably buy half the weekly issues so that's roughly £5.50 on average per month (ignoring the fact that some months have 5 issues). I'd like to assume the monthly cover price will be around the £5-£7 mark so not too dissimilar and you'll end up getting everything.

I'll admit - I'm quite shocked!  Will be interesting to see how they handle their weekly release schedule as part of the reason for going weekly was to allow them the option to release new products more regularly.  Will we get information on releases a full month ahead?  Will they go back to monthly?

I'll likely go for the full year up front as I'm somewhat ****** about collecting magazines - think I'm only missing one issue from the weeklies and can go back as far as WD150 on the old monthlies.  Visions I'm still a bit non-plussed about, but only pay £9 a quarter so not bothered enough to change anything.  I'm also interested to see if the price stays at £50/year (or whatever) or if it goes up after that initial period.

£50 for a year (early bird discount) is a great price. Had Sight & Sound for a year as a present once. It's top having the surprise of a physical magazine awaiting you getting home from work each month.

As for release schedules, there's the possibility that GW have finally admitted to themselves that you control leaks by releasing the information yourself. So maybe, just maybe, they start announcing product a few weeks in advance. Get the initial photos and information out how they want to.

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

£50 for a year (early bird discount) is a great price. Had Sight & Sound for a year as a present once. It's top having the surprise of a physical magazine awaiting you getting home from work each month.

As for release schedules, there's the possibility that GW have finally admitted to themselves that you control leaks by releasing the information yourself. So maybe, just maybe, they start announcing product a few weeks in advance. Get the initial photos and information out how they want to.

I know they tried a longer period with the new Lost Patrol game, but not sure the outcome of that.  Sounds like it's going to be a "watch this space" which I actually quite like :) 

1 minute ago, Dez said:

I miss the White Dwarf special model with subscription...maybe they'll bring it back?

Funnily enough I was reminiscing about this over the weekend - still have the old Fortress from the 2 year subscription ;) 

I'm surprised they didn't rename it White Duardin.  It's probably a good move, hopefully visions is eventually combined into this I was always astounded by its RRP. 

Edit: I've just been informed by GW customer services that if you're already a weekly subscriber you'll be getting a letter in the mail "outlining how the changes will affect your subscription specifically".

I called customer services and asked them about existing subscriptions because I literally just resubscribed the other week. This is what they told me:

I had the 12 month subscription for the weekly mag for $190, since the new monthly one is only $80 my subscription is going to be doubled (so 2 years of magazines) plus a few extra months just because. 

:( No quarterly option for the US.  I could easily justify the 20 bucks a quarter, heck I would have subscribed without a second thought.  At $80 I have to balance it against the kids summer camps/pool memberships, and as expected/it should be,  Dads hobby spending will lose, Lol.

Surprising. In a good way. I quite like Warhammer Visions. It's a high quality coffee table magazine that you can ogle nice miniatures in, but it always felt very light. I'd look through it once in half an hour and maybe go back again another time and that was it. I was collecting them for future reference as if they were monthly catalogs and often thought that they would be great with some real content. Pretty much exactly what has been announced! Looking forward to things like the designer notes, battle reports and new rules.

On another point I don't think that this will herald a move away from weekly releases. The releases and magazines will just be decoupled and new stuff will be announced online rather in now anachronistic print form. That's my guess anyhow.

Archived