My Legion SCGT report

Ben

Hi all, 

here is my South Coast GT Battle reports.  

I think I managed to take photos in all my games, but certainly not every turn! 

I had a great weekend. I partied (and played) like it was 2009 again! 

I decided to not try and squeeze in all the filth and just took Chaos Dwarfs, expecting to be enjoying myself on mid-tables.  

150 pools list

1x Drazhoath The Ashen - 13 
1x Bull Centaur Taur'uk - 6
3x Daemonsmith - 12
1x Infernal Guard Castellan - 4
1x Infernal Guard Standard Bearer - 4
2 xBull Centaur Renders (6) - 12
3x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (30) - 21 
4x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (40) - 24 
3x Stormvermin (30) - 21
2x Magma Cannon - 14
2x Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher -12
1x Iron Daemon War Engine - 7

I decided to leave the storm vermin at home.

In every game I used Draz, 2 Smiths, 40 Infernals, 2 Magmas and the Iron Deamon.

I swapped between Bull Centaurs + Tauruk, 2 Deathshriekers or 30 Fire glaives depending on the scenario and if my opponent had monsters.  

Big thanks to all my opponents, I can't remember a tournament where I had so many fun games. Especially thanks to the guys who pushed all their biggest toys in front of all my shooting!

So here's the rundown.

G1. Awesome looking battle vs Mike Ralph.  I deployed 40 Chaos Dwarfs and 6 Centaurs vs 70 Duardin!  

A flame cannon blew up 20 Infernal guard on turn 1, but I retaliated and took out 20 Slayers.  I got the double turn and managed to clear up some characters off Mikes objective.  Mike then also got back to back turns getting all his infantry into my lines.  The Bull Centaurs managed to hold the line for long enough for Drazhoath and the artillery to arrive and I finally managed to swing the game around turn 4 when the Hammerers died. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

G2. Nurgle monster mash of Rob Perrin.  
This is the sort of army that I expected to face far more often than I did.  Archaon backed up by full Nurgle gunline with Epidimus too.  3x3 nurglings for the objectives.  

Drazhoath did a great job of killing Soulgrinders but Archaon got a double turn at first attempt and just cleared my objectives too quickly for me to really be in the game.  I seem to remember a fair few bad Mystical terrain rolls for Rob to keep the game interesting.  

No pics here :(

G3. The draw went up and I saw it was Death, I said to a mate that I hoped it was NAGASH as I fancied playing against him.  Turns out it was!  Oddly enough I felt from the start it was a great match for me!!! I deployed 70 dwarfs, 6 centaurs, 2 warmachines, 3 characters and also blew my Agenda to drop a Tauruk.  Lucky for me my opponent decided to leave Neferata in range of the magma cannons on turn 1 despite my warnings! I got the double turn so was able to kill her with the 4 shots and also charge/shoot most of his turn 1 summoning and also put a few wounds on NAGASH.  NAGASH ran in and tried to kill my Iron Deamon and I shot off his last 10 wounds on my turn 3! 

I was really happy with this result, it was textbook game plan execution.  It seemed like the first time that I had a solid battle plan with the Legion and it went according to plan with no major dramas.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

G4. Stormcast... NO VEXILLOR!!!!!!  Elliott's army had a lot of bodies but I don't think he had the experience with using it and threw it forwards piecemeal.  I was able to win the scenario fairly easily after he failed a double 1 charge with a unit of 10 Paladins that could of made the final 2 turns very interesting. You always need a bit of luck to get the results!

I used my hidden agenda in this one to draw out Vandus and kill him on my turn 1 after he moved into 18" range of Drazhoath but behind the terrain that in this scenario blocked line of sight.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg  

G5, another Ben and this time Stormcast with Star Drake, Vexillor, 10 Retributers and a Duardin flame cannon!  I was worried here so deployed the 2 death shriekers to make sure Ben chose first turn (or get 6 shots into the vexillor). Ben teleported the Drake into my army, killed a load of infantry but also took 4 wounds from Drazhoath being able to pile into him.  In my turn the drake died to massed magic and shooting.  He was in 6" of both my 1 use D3 mortal wound weapons, in range of both magmas, and all 4 damage spells.  I didn't event have to shoot the Deathshriekers at it!  After that it was just a case of shooting off the footslogging Paladins and grabbing his objective.  

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

The final game was against another army that I thought I would really struggle against.  Lewis had 2 gaunt summoners and a max summon pool.  He took first turn and summoned 40 plague bearers and 6 Flamers!  Luckily for me the gate that Skarbrand wanted to travel through ended up being closed and later the gate that blew up was in Lewis' deployment zone.  image.jpegimage.jpeg
The game came down to a the last turn when 5 wrathmongers had to charge 10 infernal guard to shift them off my gate and win the game but they failed another minimum distance charge (a turn after a soul grinder had done the same!). 

So I ended up with 5 wins and 5th place!!!

I used the Iron Deamon in all 5 games too!!!!

After the event I found out that I had been selected as one of the 6 armies getting voted for community choice for best army on the Games Workshop Age of Sigmar page.  I was lucky enough to win that !

image.jpeg

Thanks for reading! 

Really cool report Ben. I played Rob Perrin game one with the same result. Every unit he had was a hero, monster or both! Archaon came piling over with double pile-ins and all the re-rolls and cleared one objective. I killed all his mates so Archaon was running round solo by the end of the game but he'd pulled a couple of points in front by that stage. He used something like Archaon, 3 soul grinders, chap on maggoth, couple of Nurgle heralds, whip guy, boob snake rider and a sorcerer. Really potent in that first scenario!

• 2 weeks later...

Great report.

The body count is remarkable considering how many artillery pieces you had.

How did the Fireglaives do?

I'm considering using them (with Plague Monks for the synergy on the wound rolls).

Archived