'Competitive' Ironjawz

Malakithe

Game 1: Nagash/Neferata/Vamp Lord Abyssal Terror.  This was actually a very scary list with all the buffs that get laid on Nagash he has a 2+ rerollable and he ignores rend.  It turned into me avoiding combat like the plague with my Mawcrusha while fleeing whenever I could from combat with Nagash.  Turn 2 I got a charge off on the Vamp Lord on Abyssal Terror and killed him which hampered Nagash's mobility.  Turn 4 I tracked down Neferata and got her.  This would have been an wasy scenario but it was Take and Hold so just the two objectives.  He ended up just landing Nagash on his own objective and sitting there.  Turn 5 I was able to finish off the big guy for the Major.  The guy I played in this game James was an absolute delight to play against.

Game 2: Dwarf/Empire Shooting.  This was the game I lost, and im normally not one to blame the dice, but mine shit the bed and his where bonkers.  I never went first on any turn except the first, and you guys realize how much it sucks when an IJ player never gets to go first against a gunline.  At one point he made 38 shots hitting and wounding on 4's and got 19 wounds, was insane to see.  I ended up only getting a Minor loss.

Game 3: Sylvaneth.  I went into this game scared cause I have this fear of Sylvaneth.  It was your normal Sylvaneth lists... Kurnoth Hunters, Dryads, Treelords jumping around.  It was Escalation thou, which is a great scenario for us having a ton of Battleline.  I was able to just camp out on 2 of the objectives and hunker down.  On turn 4 i made a big move and shot my MawCrusha out of a cannon towards the 3rd objective and killed a Treelord to push him off of it.  Holding all 3 for a turn got me the points I needed to win the Major Victory.  

Game 4: Nighthaunt.  They did the pairings the night before so I had sometime to think about this matchup.  Its the classic struggle of the unstoppable force vs. the immovable object.  The scenario was Border War  I figured both of our strategies would be similar get on 3 objectives and hunker down as best as possible.  I decided to fly my Maw Crusha straight up the field to make him as big and annoying of a target as possible.  Turn 1 I slammed him into a big unit of Hexwraiths and did some serious damage to them.  Fast forward to end of turn 4.  We realized that although the game had been a bloodbath that he could not surpass the points I had so we called it.  Major in my favor.  This was another game where my opponent, Joe, was an awesome guy to play against.

Game 5: Mixed Chaos.  This was an odd list but my opponent was 4-0 so I knew it could do work.  He had a Chaos War Mammoth, a Hellcannon, a Chimera, and a ton and a half of characters including a Deamon Prince, a Lord on Mount, a warlock engineer, a Tzeentch Lord on Disc, and some Khorne hero.  The scenario was Three Places of Power so heroes where vital.  We also decided to play with the garrisoning rules because of the large amount of buildings we had.  Turn 1 I moved up and took all 3 objectives figuring id get points wherever I could I also did 11pts! of damage to the War Mammoth with spells the Foot and an Arcane Bolt, I thought he would clear me off 2 of them but the Chimera rolled a 6 for damage on its shooting and killed a Weirdnob on my 3rd objective.  This game ended on bottom of turn 3 and it turned into who can kill the characters.  I wont go into a  ton of detail unless someone really wants me too but this game got nuts.  My opponent Mike and I went and drank some beers after the game which was awesome.

Game 6: Mixed Undead, mostly Flesheater Stuff and a Mourngul.  It was Gift from the Heavens so both of us spent the 1st turn being very pensive and buffing up.  I moved up and laid magic into the Mourngul trying to weaken it at least and did 3 wounds to it, which was about what I expected.  He let me go first on turn 2 and my comet dropped in my right hand area.  I once again was very passive and only moved up just a bit. I also laid more magical pain on the Mourngul doing 2 more wounds while holding my objective and waiting for his to drop.  When he did it drop on my left hand side which was good for me cause it was far away from my objective and I could stretch his forces out.  On turn 2 he made a dash towards my objective with a unit of Crypt Horrors and his General on Terrorgeist, he ended up killing 6 of the Ardboys on the objective... but the Ardboys held strong rolling a a 2 on their Bravery.  I won the roll to go first in Turn 3 which was huge!  I spent a solid 5 minutes deciding what I needed to do, and I realized that if I killed his Crypt Horrors and his General and kept the Mourngul and his Vargeists busy I could hold my objective for the remainder of the game and just need to contest his.  So I split my army into 2 groups and sent them to work.  I sent my fresh unit of Ardboys, a unit of Brutes, my Gruntaz, and one each of a Warchanter and a Shaman to hit his line in the back and contest the objective which they did.  It turned into a long protracted combat that he would have won in the end but i just kept contesting his objective.  The rest of my army secured my objective and got me my 5th Major Victory.

If anyone has any questions about any individual game I can go into more detail, these are just some quick writeups.  Or about anything I did tactically

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@IronjawzBrian - Congrats on your placing, very impressive! Great result with what is quite an unusual list (if nothing else, not being able to dictate first turn very often would concern me)

I'm glad you posted here, was hoping you would. I am very interested in your match ups and reports of the games as I'm sure are many others here. Would be cool if you are able to share! :D 

I saw you mention elsewhere that you think Ironjawz are a top tier army...interested if that was a serious comment haha!

Yes I think they are a top tier army.  The combination of hard hitting, resiliency, and solid offensive magic make them a great army IMO.

Thanks for the write up @IronjawzBrian.

Sounds like you had some great games. In your preparation/other games, how have you found you measured up against the current hotness, IE warrior brotherhood/grots n tusks. Both these lists are prevelant in the UK scene currently and have the ability to blast off 6 wound heroes without much difficulty. 

With things like Tzeench around now as well, there is even more that can pick off the characters. 

Do you think the outcome of the weekend would have been the same if there were more power lists in attendance? 

14 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

Thanks for the write up @IronjawzBrian.

Sounds like you had some great games. In your preparation/other games, how have you found you measured up against the current hotness, IE warrior brotherhood/grots n tusks. Both these lists are prevelant in the UK scene currently and have the ability to blast off 6 wound heroes without much difficulty. 

With things like Tzeench around now as well, there is even more that can pick off the characters. 

Do you think the outcome of the weekend would have been the same if there were more power lists in attendance? 

I have a ton of experience against Warrior Brotherhood and against Clan Skryre and I am confident I can beat or at least have a chance at beating both of those powerful lists.  There was I think 3-4 Warrior Brotherhood Armies.  When it comes to Grots n Tusks its rougher.  You gotta keep your characters back and mitigate the alpha.  It usually involves sacrificing two units, but once we get stuck my confidence is high that we will win the combat, its all a matter of not losing to much before the tide begins to turn.  And the Talisman of Protection is vital.  There was 3-4 of these lists also.  I have 0 experience against new Tzeentch yet, except that I think I'm gonna start an army of them.

Hey,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to do the write up. Sounds like you played some cool guys with cool armies...can't really ask more from a tournament, right? :) Once again, congrats on your result.

1 hour ago, IronjawzBrian said:

Yes I think they are a top tier army.  The combination of hard hitting, resiliency, and solid offensive magic make them a great army IMO.

I think it's really interesting you consider them top tier. I guess though it makes sense that different armies may tier differently in different metas! Out of interest how have you done in other tournaments? Have you found them consistent? I would say my experience could be pretty much summarised by saying that they are wholly inconsistent and incredibly match up dependant. Again though, this could be down to meta shift. I think it's fair to say that no one would be claiming Ironjawz are top tier here in the UK at the competitive end!!

Could you expand any more on your thoughts around Ironjawz having resiliency as an attribute? This again seems to go against common perception. In fact, I consider a lack of resilience one of our biggest weaknesses, though I can see your list mitigates that to some level by going MSU.

Genuinely interesting to have some differing opinions here and I'm keen to pick your brains as much as possible!!

Cheers

Well, in all honesty, the tournament scene is just now starting to form in our area.  So LVO was actually my first proper tournament in AoS.  That will be very much changing in the next few months as our local scene is getting going and I have more GTs planned.  Nova, Triumph, and i heard a rumor PAX in Philly.  I find my army is very consistent, its speed allows me to dissect my opponent when and where I want.  That's the glory of the Gore-Gruntaz, yes i see them as underpowered and prolly a bit over points, but having that one speedy unit was a great asset, in my Game 5, they got a long bomb charge and killed the Deamon Prince.

As for resiliency, I honestly don't see how anyone could not see them as resilient, everything has 2+ wounds, everything that matters has a 4+ save base.  Not alot of armies can say that.  You take the Talisman of Protection on my Maw-Crusha and put Mystic Shield and he is one of the most tanky things in the game.  14wounds +2 and +4 against mortal.  That +4 againts mortal was a god sent.

9 minutes ago, IronjawzBrian said:

Well, in all honesty, the tournament scene is just now starting to form in our area.  So LVO was actually my first proper tournament in AoS.  That will be very much changing in the next few months as our local scene is getting going and I have more GTs planned.  Nova, Triumph, and i heard a rumor PAX in Philly. 

You gotta start somewhere, right? Great to hear the scene is starting to ramp up where you're at, that's good news. Be interesting to see how/if the meta shifts as a result of this. My concerns* on that, from an Ironjawz point of view, is that right off the bat most people will pretty much be at the ceiling of what can be achieved listwise with Ironjawz (give or take). There is no real next level to turn it up to, if that makes sense?

I find my army is very consistent, its speed allows me to dissect my opponent when and where I want.  That's the glory of the Gore-Gruntaz, yes i see them as underpowered and prolly a bit over points, but having that one speedy unit was a great asset, in my Game 5, they got a long bomb charge and killed the Deamon Prince.

I would concur, speed is definitely something in our favour and allows us some manner of control in game. This is why I was surprised to see a lack of the Ironfist in your list. Is this something you've tried much? Any reasoning for going without it? Felt the army got where it wanted without it perhaps?

Gore-gruntas, whilst long bemoaned by many (including myself), do have a place in lists I would concede nowadays. I am confident they will get a points reduction in General's Handbook 2 which will make them all the more viable (and good...I have 18 of the things!!)

As for resiliency, I honestly don't see how anyone could not see them as resilient, everything has 2+ wounds, everything that matters has a 4+ save base.  Not alot of armies can say that.  You take the Talisman of Protection on my Maw-Crusha and put Mystic Shield and he is one of the most tanky things in the game.  14wounds +2 and +4 against mortal.  That +4 againts mortal was a god sent.

Undoubtedly, multiple wounds and decent saves offer some level of basic resilience. What we are seeing over here is an abundance of mortal wound spam and/or ranged output (that we have no direct counter to). These things negate the above bonuses and leave us exposed to our biggest weakness: battleshock. It is for battleshock alone I cannot get on board with Ironjawz as a resilient army.

The Maw-Krusha is good and I like using it (with the Talisman) a lot. However, at present it is simply not cost effect enough to be considered one of the most tanky things in the game, or even close I'm afraid. Given a good reduction in General's Handbook 2, I think he will become a cornerstone of Ironjawz lists. It sounds like you played yours quite offensively a lot (which is fun to do for sure!), so I can't imagine you were rocking the 2+ save all game. Once you lose wounds on it, the reliability of the fists damage output goes through the floor, which in turn makes it go down even quicker in the grind. Once again, rulewise I think its great/fun, but right now its very expensive (to clarify though, I do tend to use one more often that not regardless!).

Thanks again for participating here. I'm enjoying your posts and outlook. FYI, all my questioning is intended as inquisitive, not argumentative, dismissive or whatever. I love Ironjawz more than anyone (sorry @Sangfroid!) and am constantly talking, thinking and playing new ways to get more out of them. You seem to be coming from a different point of view on many things, hence my questioning! ;) 

*Concern was maybe the wrong word there. There should clearly be no negative connotation to a booming scene/meta and I didn't intend that, just couldn't think of anything else! :P 

16 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

posts and outlook. FYI, all my questioning is intended as inquisitive, not argumentative, dismissive or whatever. I love Ironjawz more than anyone (sorry @Sangfroid!) and am constantly talking, thinking and playing new ways to get more out of them. You seem to be coming from a different point of view on many things, hence my questioning! ;) 

*Concern was maybe the wrong word there. There should clearly be no negative connotation to a booming scene/meta and I didn't intend that, just couldn't think of anything else! :P 

No No, I see your comments for what they are. :)  As for the Ironfist, I just dont personally like battalions where a single model dying can negate the battalion, id much rather have a wall of green bodies.  If I gave the impression I play the Crusa offensively I really don't.  The only game I played it full offense was against Nighthaunt.  Other than that i play it back most of time... its so fast that even from middle of the field 1/3 of the way up it can threat usually wherever I need it.  And yes we are vulnerable to mortal spam, but our defense against that is that we bring a ton of just flat wounds to the table.  yeah you throw 3d3 mortals at some Ardboys... i lost 3 boys or 2 brutes or 1 grunta.  The combat effectiveness of those units lives on.  It takes dedicated fire to remove an ironjawz unit.  Ok I'm off to work, will try and pop in whenever I can.

58 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Thanks again for participating here. I'm enjoying your posts and outlook. FYI, all my questioning is intended as inquisitive, not argumentative, dismissive or whatever. I love Ironjawz more than anyone (sorry @Sangfroid!) and am constantly talking, thinking and playing new ways to get more out of them. You seem to be coming from a different point of view on many things, hence my questioning! ;) 

IMG_0626.PNG

Hi guys first time posting,

Going to a vanguard tournament and am taking ironjawz

ALLEGIANCE: Destruction
LEADERS
Orruk Megaboss 
- Artefact : Battle Brew
Orruk Warchanter 
- Artefact : Talisman of Protection
UNITS
10 x Orruk Ardboys 
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys 
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes 
- General
- Command Trait : Bellowing Tyrant
- Ironjawz Battleline
BATTALIONS
Ironfist 

I am wondering which would be the best to kit the ardboyz, 2 weapons or big choppas? 

Thanks!

[mention=3674]PlayerJ[/mention]

There has been a couple discussions around here about Ardboy loadouts and I think it can be generalized as such...

2 Handers if fighting really good armour saves

2 One handers for general offence

1 One hander and shield for general defence/objective holding

That's definitely not a comprehensive explanation, but a summery of a couple threads as interpreted by yours truly.

Edit: You could always cheat (wysiwyg wise) and model them all with two handers and a shield on their back. Then, you can rationalize them being able to use all loadouts by saying that they draw the weapon from their hip to dual wield, draw their shield to go one hander and shield, or they're using the two handers... as two handers. As long as as you document their loadouts and be forthcoming about them I couldn't imagine anyone taking issue with such a genius plan. Then you could test out what works best for you!

It's unusual to see a list with no formation and two Wierdnob shaman, which are widely regarded overpriced. 

I've done a complete about turn on these dudes. 4+ to cast mystic shield (with plenty of Ardboyz) is worth its weight in gold.

As for tier one army, I'm struggling to see how Ironjawz can beat Khorne Bloodbound readily (with the traditional smattering of Warp Lightning Cannons or other ranged threat if necessary). Once they get the Banner down (which you probably cannot touch behind a wall of very cheap bodies), they are immune to Battleshock. They are fundamentally cheaper/more synergistic than Ironjawz. If you cut through units of Blood Warriors with multiple units of Brutes Ardboyz or Pigs, you're going to lose plenty of Brutes straight back (as they all get to attack with +2 attacks at least and you've got 4+ saves, not super saves - 3+ or sweet rerolls) and then lose some of your models to Battleshock. Reavers with -1 rend and 3+ attacks are also going to be very cost effective against you. Wrathmongers are horrible against Brutes, Megabosses and especially Cabbages and you cannot shoot them dead (other than the Cabbage Pew Pew).

Granted you can flood the objectives before they can, but that's also getting you closer to them and their Banners.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Nico said:

I've done a complete about turn on these dudes. 4+ to cast mystic shield (with plenty of Ardboyz) is worth its weight in gold.

As for tier one army, I'm struggling to see how Ironjawz can beat Khorne Bloodbound readily (with the traditional smattering of Warp Lightning Cannons or other ranged threat if necessary). Once they get the Banner down (which you probably cannot touch behind a wall of very cheap bodies), they are immune to Battleshock. They are fundamentally cheaper/more synergistic than Ironjawz. If you cut through units of Blood Warriors with multiple units of Brutes Ardboyz or Pigs, you're going to lose plenty of Brutes straight back (as they all get to attack with +2 attacks at least and you've got 4+ saves, not super saves - 3+ or sweet rerolls) and then lose some of your models to Battleshock. Reavers with -1 rend and 3+ attacks are also going to be very cost effective against you. Wrathmongers are horrible against Brutes, Megabosses and especially Cabbages and you cannot shoot them dead (other than the Cabbage Pew Pew).

Granted you can flood the objectives before they can, but that's also getting you closer to them and their Banners.

Thoughts?

I play a lot against Khorne Bloodbound I have two locals where that is all they play.  I could not disagree more.  We literally do everything they do better than them.  Were tankier, we hit harder, were faster.  The only thing they have going for them is Wrathmongers which yes suck alot... it usually means i need throw away a unit or Brutes to kill them, and so be it.  Really I could not be more on the opposite side of this thought.  Yes Blood Warriors get to attack back... but damn they hit like little ******.  issue with Khorne Bloodbound is apart from the characters they have a very little Rend.  a 4+ save is really good against things with no Rend.

I play a lot against Khorne Bloodbound I have two locals where that is all they play.  I could not disagree more.  We literally do everything they do better than them.  Were tankier, we hit harder, were faster.  The only thing they have going for them is Wrathmongers which yes suck alot... it usually means i need throw away a unit or Brutes to kill them, and so be it.  Really I could not be more on the opposite side of this thought.  Yes Blood Warriors get to attack back... but damn they hit like little ******.  issue with Khorne Bloodbound is apart from the characters they have a very little Rend.  a 4+ save is really good against things with no Rend.

Some fair points. I'm guessing that they aren't using Bloodreavers with Meatripper axes then?

You are faster of course. I'm not convinced that you do hit harder although it will depend on scenery/battleplan etc.. Ironjawz certainly can concentrate more damage in one area, but if they can flood your models then their extra attacks should win out. I've funnelled Bloodbound into a corner so that they end up getting in each other's way, but that was with a Skaven bunker with Jezzails. 

I haven't even mentioned Bloodletters (granted - not actually Bloodbound), which can simply sit behind a wall of other stuff, then counterpunch with 3 or 4 attacks each and +2 to hit - they will absolutely love inflicting mortal wounds on high value models like Brutes, Pigs and Megabosses.

3 minutes ago, Nico said:

Some fair points. I'm guessing that they aren't using Bloodreavers with Meatripper axes then?

You are faster of course. I'm not convinced that you do hit harder although it will depend on scenery/battleplan etc.. Ironjawz certainly can concentrate more damage in one area, but if they can flood your models then their extra attacks should win out. I've funnelled Bloodbound into a corner so that they end up getting in each other's way, but that was with a Skaven bunker with Jezzails. 

I haven't even mentioned Bloodletters (granted - not actually Bloodbound), which can simply sit behind a wall of other stuff, then counterpunch with 3 or 4 attacks each and +2 to hit - they will absolutely love inflicting mortal wounds on high value models like Brutes, Pigs and Megabosses.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.  I have no issues with Bloodreavers, I have a guy who plays huge blocks of 40.  And yes they don't run...  but I slam into them and all of a sudden 20-25 are dead.  Yes the remaining swing alot of attacks, but I cant say they've ever really scared me.  Jezzails are solid, I just dont see they're mortal wounds as reliable enough for me.  Bloodletters are great, I've played against the Sayl big blocks of Bloodletters and 3 Bloodsecrator army.  Its brutal, but you just need to feed the Bloodletters properly and mitigate the counter charge when you kill the 1st big block.  There was an army that did well using that at LVO this past week... AMAZING event by the way.

We seem to have very differing opinions on this which I think speaks to the strengths of AoS.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:34 PM, Nico said:

**stuff about bloodbound**

Thoughts?

Likewise, I have come around to the Weirdnob shaman. It's still overpointed (for now), but the Mystic Shield is so important I think. Talked myself into this on the first TBS Weekly. Hoping to get a Shaman painted up in time for the Slaughter. I don't see the value in taking two though.

Right  now, I really don't think we can be using the words "Tier One" and "Ironjawz" in the same sentence without the addition of "not a" haha! That said, I am optimistic that GH2 will give us a much needed boost in regards to points.

Regarding Bloodbound (or Khorne + Skaven shooting in general), my thoughts are that you are 100% correct. I actually talk about this very match up a fair bit in the TBS Weekly episode that will be coming out tonight (19:00 GMT) as I played it twice on Saturday.

As you say, a good player will make the banners inaccessible to the Ironjawz player and force you into range to fight them as you can't just sit off thanks to the WLC and Jezzails, which are absolutely heinous against us as we can't touch them back. Wrathmongers are such a big problem as they will be immune to battleshock you are unlikely to see them off in one shot, unless using 10+ Brutes. I guess the best option is Gore-gruntas if you want to minimise the damage you take on yourself...but then they will probably take a while to blast through the Wrathmongers themselves! Blood Warriors themselves are problematic as whilst they have no rend, you have to fight them first else they get two bites at the cherry. The extra attacks granted across the army make even the lowly Bloodreaver with Meatripper Axe a real handful (especially given their cost compared to ours). In general we will be trading units in combat at an inefficient rate, all the while been blasted by Skaven mortal wounds. The Bloodletters are great, but once they've blown their load, do just die in return tbh. In that instance it's probably down to the players and who can get the most out of it. Again though it's likely to be a trade in the Chaos player's favour. It IS a tough match up vs a good list and player, I do not see that as debateable personally. Obviously there are mitigating factors such as the particular battleplan etc. It is winnable for sure, but yeh, tough.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:11 AM, IronjawzBrian said:

We seem to have very differing opinions on this which I think speaks to the strengths of AoS.

Differing opinions are definitely very cool and make things more interesting. This makes sense on a broader scale (ie the whole meta). However, it is somewhat crazy to me how there can be such disparity regarding what is essentially the same match up, just played in different regions haha!! I can't even specify UK vs US (obviously the US is such a huge place comparatively) as I've found the views of other US players, ie @Rhellion, to be very in line with what's going on over here.

Out of interest Brian, what you do consider tough match ups for Ironjawz?

16 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@Rhellion

Out of interest Brian, what you do consider tough match ups for Ironjawz?

Any match up where they can mitigate our speed... I.E. Warrior Brotherhood, Clan Skryre. Big movement shenanigans like Sylvaneth are issues also.  We rely on our ability to weather a lot of fire and get where we need to be, and beat nearly anything in melee.  Armies that refuse to play our game cause us lots of issues.

I run my lists very msu oriented, bringing lots of brutes and ard boyz and doing my best to omit point sinks and larger units. 

That being said, the times I have run things like the cabbage/gore gruntas/shaman I've always noticed a marked decrease in performance.

What can the cabbage do that 3 units of brutes can't do better?

IS the shaman REALLY worth 140 points? Only to buff the cabage, I reckon. Otherwise the one spell seems like an absolute waste. To be honest I don't think they should drop his points cost. I think they should give him the opportunity to attempt 2 spells. That would make him worth his cost. As well, he doesn't have a lot of synergy with the rest of the army otherwise. He isn't particularly stompy and if you use him to buff one unit then his offensive output is of course neutered.

Gor gruntas: Honestly. The extra movement isn't really needed for what you sacrifice. I have never had a problem getting my IJ's where they needed to be, and have never thought to myself; "gee, I really wish I had gore gruntas right now." Perhaps if they make the allegiance abilities for Ironjawz worthwhile (when they add them) and we stop using the destruction traits (never!) then gore gruntas will become integral. But as for right now I have no quarels omitting them.

So .... from what I see so far .... it looks like I'm gonna need some more brutes lol

I have 10 brutes and 10 ardboyz

Purchased another battleforce I found on sale. So that's 10 more brutes.

Question on brute load outs.

My first 10 I have

6 of them as two brute choppas

2 gore choppas

1 with a boss choppa (and a dagger on his belt so I can use him as either 2 brute choppa when in a large unit or as a boss choppa brute boss when leading a unit himself)

1 boss claw and brute smasha

How should I build my next 10?

7 gore-hackas, 2 gore choppas, and 1 boss claw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I have 10 with choppas (inc 2 gorechoppas and 2 boss with Klaw and smasha )  then 15 with 3 gorechoppas 1 Klaw & smasha and 1 boss choppa. 

This allows me to field 10 and 15 brutes as a single unit if needs be plus by using my Grimgor model (as a boss with boss choppa) I can also field 5x5 brutes as well. 

Id suggest the second lot with jagged hackas as you have described so that gives you the flexibility to field a 10 man unit.

1 hour ago, Sangfroid said:

Personally I have 10 with choppas (inc 2 gorechoppas and 2 boss with Klaw and smasha )  then 15 with 3 gorechoppas 1 Klaw & smasha and 1 boss choppa. 

This allows me to field 10 and 15 brutes as a single unit if needs be plus by using my Grimgor model (as a boss with boss choppa) I can also field 5x5 brutes as well. 

Id suggest the second lot with jagged hackas as you have described so that gives you the flexibility to field a 10 man unit.

Just to check with you, as I'm running into the boss problem currently. 

I have 15 with 1 boss, 2 x 5 with a boss each. 

I have enough gore choppas to make 5x5 but only 3 boss with claw. One of the brutes in my 5 with double choose has the boss choppas so that gives me 4 bosses. 

In your above post, you mention 3 with claw, and with grimgor, you have a 4th boss with boss chappa. Where is your 5th? 

28 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

Just to check with you, as I'm running into the boss problem currently. 

I have 15 with 1 boss, 2 x 5 with a boss each. 

I have enough gore choppas to make 5x5 but only 3 boss with claw. One of the brutes in my 5 with double choose has the boss choppas so that gives me 4 bosses. 

In your above post, you mention 3 with claw, and with grimgor, you have a 4th boss with boss chappa. Where is your 5th? 

I have 3 with Klaw & Smasha 

1 with boss choppa

Grimgor Ironhide (boss choppa) that I use as the Big Boss model for Ironfists or brutefists so he stands out plus is one of my all time fav Orruk models 

I've never used the Boss Choppa as Klaw & Smasha seems so good! Thoughts on it?

Re Brutes, I currently have 31 painted models;

• 1x Big Boss with Klaw & Smasha (this is my old Black Orc Big Boss / Ardnob. Converted from a 40k model, his weapons fit this load out suitably and he's massive!).
  • 4x Boss with Klaw & Smasha
  • 6x Gore-choppa
  • 14x Jagged Gore-hacka
  • 6x Brute Choppas

This allows me to pretty much cover all bases. If I went full MSU I'd probably want some more regular bros with Brute Choppas. Fortunately I do have another 2 boxes sat at home, which eventually I will assemble and paint as 2 units of 5 with Boss, Gore-choppa and 3 Brute Choppas. I could be convinced to give these Bosses the Boss Choppa...I guess for variance if nothing else (5x Klaw & Smasha is probably sufficient...right?).

It is crazy when I think about my unassembled pile of Ironjawz. At least when we get mega points reductions in GH2 I won't be whinging I can't afford to field a 2,000 point army, unlike some of those ungrateful Fyreslayers players haha!! ;) 

11 hours ago, IronjawzBrian said:

Any match up where they can mitigate our speed... I.E. Warrior Brotherhood, Clan Skryre. Big movement shenanigans like Sylvaneth are issues also.  We rely on our ability to weather a lot of fire and get where we need to be, and beat nearly anything in melee.  Armies that refuse to play our game cause us lots of issues.

On one of my podcasts where I was joined by @Sangfroid, he gave some useful information regarding Warrior Brotherhood and Clan Skryre. Worth checking out for sure.

I definitely agree that on paper Sylvaneth are potentially a problem, however I've been on quite a run against them...though I suspect this is in large part down to some luck and/or opponent inexperience as I'm unable to put my finger on exactly why I'm able to beat them!

On one of my podcasts where I was joined by [mention=109]Sangfroid[/mention], he gave some useful information regarding Warrior Brotherhood and Clan Skryre. Worth checking out for sure.
I definitely agree that on paper Sylvaneth are potentially a problem, however I've been on quite a run against them...though I suspect this is in large part down to some luck and/or opponent inexperience as I'm unable to put my finger on exactly why I'm able to beat them!

Yeah it's a funny one. I think the more I look at it the more it seems advantageous for the Sylvaneth player.

Definitely happy with the trend seeming to be moving away from the cabbage though as he was a big part of the problem for us I feel.

Sent from the Hidden Enclaves via the Realmroots

Archived