'Competitive' Ironjawz

Malakithe

I have a 40k Ork Warboss knocking about that I am going to convert mine out of as I'd like him to look pretty imposing. I will stick him on a 40mm. I'd say that or a 32mm is acceptable.

Think I might put him straight into my army in place of the Weirdnob, which I've not been impressed by of late. I had considered a 2nd Warchanter but fancy giving this guy a run out. Just need to confirm the compendium warscrolls will be legal at The Warlords in September.

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like the BOBB with a shield better if it worked against missile attacks too, though I feel better with him up front when he has it, compared to deff choppas. The Rend -2 makes the slaughta-choppa worth a look too.  

Grumlok & Gazbag look good on a 40mm round FWIW.

Request: could someone with the BOBB take a pic of him next to some Brutes plz?

And you're right, none of the others quite compare. i'd consider a Gorefist, because that will REALLY freak out your opponent when you are behind his lines picking on his heroes. I'd only expect to get away with that once, though.

I use the forgeworld command Orc with 2 hander as a BOBB and he is roughly the same size as a brute, grimgor is also the same size as a brute, depending on how TOs view compendium scrolls I was thinking of making a unit of grimgor and some similar sized bosses as a unit of veteran brutes as I do love those models and having ran them as normal orruk war bosses they are naff :-) 

A couple Ardboys questions to the Ironjawz' experts:

- Standard bearer: What's better the Orruk Banner or the Icon of Gork? I'm leaning towards the Icon.

- Weapons: If on a 10 ardboys unit we have 4 shields and 6 2handers (double weapon are meh) can we attack with the frontline 2handers and use the shield "special" save until all of the ardboys with shields are dead?

Maybe these questions are obvious, but I'm still learning.

Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I'm liking the idea of units of 10 with shields forming up in front of Jagged Gore-hacka armed Brutes. Usually I only run these in units of 10, but when combining with the Ardboyz for the screen to attack over, 5's could be efficient.

This may be a stupid question, but how exactly does this work? Seems like you are describing charging the Ardboys into the enemy unit and then attacking over the top with the Brutes. But my question is how do the brutes get there? They cannot MOVE within 3 inches of an enemy model, and so cannot MOVE into range, and cannot CHARGE very effectively as the first model has to be moved within 0.5" or the enemy unit (i suppose you could get around this by running your brutes near the end of your Ardboys line, but I wanted to inquire).

Thanks.

Given the length of the Jagged Gore-Hacka it shouldn't be hard to have the tip of at least one within 1/2" even with the Ardboyz stuck in. After that the other models can go anywhere and the range on the weapon is 2".

Plus if you lose some Ardboyz in the ensuing fight that can leave gaps for the Brutes to pile in to.

12 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yeah, its a real problem for Brutes. I'm very surprised to hear @Malicth isn't using Inspiring Presence on them either. Though isn't the Megaboss' Waaaagh a one use command ability?

Stormcast on paper look to be a very tough match up for Ironjawz, assuming they are bringing a strong list anyway.

Still, sounds like he's doing well with the army for sure, which is great.

While Inspiring Presence is great the waagh ability does very well early game. If you get that off and attack with 10 man units of brutes you will weaken them before they can attack back. Even if you lose 1 or 2 you still have 8 left and only have 16.7%-33% chance of losing more guys.

17 hours ago, Dotification said:

I would like the BOBB with a shield better if it worked against missile attacks too, though I feel better with him up front when he has it, compared to deff choppas. The Rend -2 makes the slaughta-choppa worth a look too.  

Agree completely on this one. The shield just rerolling in combat is prohibitive. I think I'll model mine with a Slaughta-choppa as it will probably look coolest and is a nice can opener (although tbh we do have plenty of rend).

13 hours ago, LordDrakonus said:

Any one use any formation other than the ironfist at 2k? the 2d6 hero phase run move seems way too good to pass on.

13 hours ago, Dez said:

And you're right, none of the others quite compare. i'd consider a Gorefist, because that will REALLY freak out your opponent when you are behind his lines picking on his heroes. I'd only expect to get away with that once, though.

The Ironfist is indeed too good to pass up on. I think you'll only see other battalions in lists without a Maw-krusha, as then you can fit in a second one. Gorefist is potential nice and I do plan to try that at some point (main issue being that Gore-gruntas aren't very good!). I also know some people are big fans of the Weirdfist, but that one is probably not for me personally.

11 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

I use the forgeworld command Orc with 2 hander as a BOBB and he is roughly the same size as a brute, grimgor is also the same size as a brute, depending on how TOs view compendium scrolls I was thinking of making a unit of grimgor and some similar sized bosses as a unit of veteran brutes as I do love those models and having ran them as normal orruk war bosses they are naff :-) 

That sounds really cool! I think most tournaments will allow the pointed compendium scrolls, but it will always be worth checking as I am sure not all will. I actually checked with @Ben Johnson last night and he advised that compendium warscrolls with GH points are totally fine for The Warlords at WHW. That said he seemed to take a dim view of me looking to add a Black Orc Big Boss to the list, which I found peculiar!!

11 hours ago, Garxia said:

A couple Ardboys questions to the Ironjawz' experts:

- Standard bearer: What's better the Orruk Banner or the Icon of Gork? I'm leaning towards the Icon.

- Weapons: If on a 10 ardboys unit we have 4 shields and 6 2handers (double weapon are meh) can we attack with the frontline 2handers and use the shield "special" save until all of the ardboys with shields are dead?

Maybe these questions are obvious, but I'm still learning.

Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, Dez said:

@Garxia Take the banner and the totem!

You can take casualties from wherever you like, but once a model is wounded it keeps taking wounds until dead before you put a wound somewhere else.

Looks like @Dez has you covered here @Garxia - personally though I just go with the totem as I don't like the banner with that Beastman head on it and haven't gotten around to converting another.

Totally legit to keep smashin' away with the Big Choppas whilst taking saves on the shields though, in fact I'd encourage it!!

10 hours ago, Auriel said:

This may be a stupid question, but how exactly does this work? Seems like you are describing charging the Ardboys into the enemy unit and then attacking over the top with the Brutes. But my question is how do the brutes get there? They cannot MOVE within 3 inches of an enemy model, and so cannot MOVE into range, and cannot CHARGE very effectively as the first model has to be moved within 0.5" or the enemy unit (i suppose you could get around this by running your brutes near the end of your Ardboys line, but I wanted to inquire).

Yes you are totally correct in what you say, however you could overhang one Brute (probably the Boss with his 1" reach) so that you could charge and contact him within 0.5" whilst the rest of the Brutes crescent behind the Ardboyz. Sounds a little abstract in text, but incredibly easy in practice. Obviously with the Boss connected your Brutes could be taking some hits, but again you can minimise this.

As a defensive line it works though.

10 hours ago, Dr_Keenbean said:

Given the length of the Jagged Gore-Hacka it shouldn't be hard to have the tip of at least one within 1/2" even with the Ardboyz stuck in. After that the other models can go anywhere and the range on the weapon is 2".

Plus if you lose some Ardboyz in the ensuing fight that can leave gaps for the Brutes to pile in to.

Oh no...please tell me that first sentence is a joke? Do people play like that ~shudders~ haha :P 

The second statement unfortunately wouldn't work unless you had connected a successful charge (first model within 0.5") as otherwise, whilst there may be a space to pile in, the Brutes would have to be over 3" away.

8 hours ago, Dez said:

It's also why you put the boss on a corner, to be able to get into combat and bring the unit of Brutes with him.

Yup. Boss is good for this tactic due to the 1" reach, as mentioned above.

8 hours ago, Malicth said:

While Inspiring Presence is great the waagh ability does very well early game. If you get that off and attack with 10 man units of brutes you will weaken them before they can attack back. Even if you lose 1 or 2 you still have 8 left and only have 16.7%-33% chance of losing more guys.

Situationally, the Waaagh is certainly very powerful and definitely has its place. I really do think the Inspiring Presence probably works out better (and guaranteed) most of the time though. I have no numbers to back that up...just gut feeling haha! Maybe I'll play reckless for a game or two and keep pumping the Waaagh instead of Inspiring Presence.

Phew!! quoted 10 posts there. Stop posting so much in the evenings! ;) 

52 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Oh no...please tell me that first sentence is a joke? Do people play like that ~shudders~ haha :P 

The second statement unfortunately wouldn't work unless you had connected a successful charge (first model within 0.5") as otherwise, whilst there may be a space to pile in, the Brutes would have to be over 3" away.

Rules say:

The first model you move must finish within ½" of an enemy model.

So yes.

I don't understand the statement that the Brutes would have to be over 3" away? Charges and charge moves are resolved before combat begins. It's just a matter of getting a single model within 0.5" and the rest within 3" for the pile in. Then you just resolve your combats in the order that allows for Ardboyz to attack, get killed in retaliation, and then activate and pile in the Brutes that were standing right on their heels.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Keenbean said:

Rules say:

So yes.

Eurghhhh, playing to the model rather than the base seems crazy to me. So open to abuse. Its probably the single worst thing in the rules, thankfully I've seen no instance of people playing (or wanting to play) it that way in my hobby.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Keenbean said:

I don't understand the statement that the Brutes would have to be over 3" away? Charges and charge moves are resolved before combat begins. It's just a matter of getting a single model within 0.5" and the rest within 3" for the pile in. Then you just resolve your combats in the order that allows for Ardboyz to attack, get killed in retaliation, and then activate and pile in the Brutes that were standing right on their heels.

Yeah you're saying the same thing as me there bro. Spot on. There are two situations;

* You successfully charge (get one model within 0.5" - ie the Boss on the side as mentioned above) and then the Brutes can freely pile in through gaps or attack over Ardboyz etc thanks to their superior reach (on their stats...not the physical models haha ;)).

* You don't charge (or fail), in which case the Brutes would have to be over 3" away as per the rules in which case they would not be able to pile in (unless already engaged of course).

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

That sounds really cool! I think most tournaments will allow the pointed compendium scrolls, but it will always be worth checking as I am sure not all will. I actually checked with @Ben Johnson last night and he advised that compendium warscrolls with GH points are totally fine for The Warlords at WHW. That said he seemed to take a dim view of me looking to add a Black Orc Big Boss to the list, which I found peculiar!!

Don't be that guy @Chris Tomlin  ;)

On a more serious note, Chris is right that anything with a Pitched Battle profile is good to use at Warlords as per the rules pack. 

Ehh, we have a pretty small faction to work with here, so I don't think the Black Orc Big Boss is a bridge too far, he was updated with the keyword after all, he just needs to be migrated within the app to join his friends!

Any-who, I thought I'd post my 2000 & 2500 lists for y'all to comment on.  1K was already posted, basically the 2 units of Brutes & BOBB variation of the IronFist.

2000 Point "Doty's Double Cabbages"

MegaBoss on Maw-Krusha - 520 (Battle Brew)

MegaBoss on Maw-Krusha - 520 (ToP 4++)

WarChanter - 80

x10 'Ardboyz - 180

x5 Brutes - 180

x3 Gore-Gruntas - 180

Iron Fist - 60

MegaBoss - 140 (General)

MegaBoss - 140 (Brutes' babysitter)

= 2000

So we got our 3 Allegiance BattleLines held over from the 1K list, & we're still under our allotment of Leaders by 1, & Behemoths by 2, so what's stopping me??  Double Maw-Krushas will hopefully induce a panicked scattering of missile weapons, or allow at least 1 to bounce in healthy onto his rampage, while your Brutes & foot-Mega's hoof it forward for clean-up duty.

For 2500 points; I'd consider adding a 3rd MegaBoss & a couple more BattleLine units of Brutes/'Ardboyz/Gore-G's of your choice, so you have enough wounds/bodies to grab/contest objectives, & TBH; keep things sane overall, b/c that's plenty of Heroes/Leaders to differentiate via converting & painting.  

Outside of tournaments it also qualifies you for Gordrakk's MegaFist* All-Gates fluff Battalion (anything that's not 1 of your 5 MegaBosses of either type gets another attack with each weapon, if I'm squinting right?!)--if your opponent/friend is cool about, agree to a price for the MegaFist, & downgrade the final Battleline to just a WarChanter to free up (100??) points for it, b/c hell, why not??? 

*pictured here in this blog review

Edited for typing/clarity

Do we have a final, official ruling on the Allegiance issue? I have the General's Handbook (not on hand, presently, I'm at work making lists on the company dime) and I wasn't able to find a clear answer in there nor did the FAQ really address it.

Just now, Dr_Keenbean said:

Do we have a final, official ruling on the Allegiance issue? I have the General's Handbook (not on hand, presently, I'm at work making lists on the company dime) and I wasn't able to find a clear answer in there nor did the FAQ really address it.

Yes you can use the destruction allegiance bonuses and artifacts with a pure ironjawz force.  

You build a legal list using the keywords. So to take ironjawz units as battle line you take all ironjawz. 

You then pick a keyword (destruction or ironjawz) for allegiance bonuses. As ironjawz do not have their own abilities and artifacts, you are left with taking the destruction ones. 

Hope this helps! 

Just now, N_Watson said:

Yes you can use the destruction allegiance bonuses and artifacts with a pure ironjawz force.  

You build a legal list using the keywords. So to take ironjawz units as battle line you take all ironjawz. 

You then pick a keyword (destruction or ironjawz) for allegiance bonuses. As ironjawz do not have their own abilities and artifacts, you are left with taking the destruction ones. 

Hope this helps! 

I know I've read this in this thread but is there a page in the GH or official FB post where this is laid out? Forum comments and tweets from a podcaster won't cut it, I'm afraid; I need something that cannot possibly be refuted because I just know it's going to come up (there's a few whiny man-babies at the store) and someone's going to give me grief about it.

Though I guess worst case scenario I could just toss 2 units of Orruks/Savage Orruks in there and have it not come up at all. It's only 200pts.

(I'm not trying to be a ****** so I'd like to apologize preemptively if I'm coming off that way.)

Just now, Dr_Keenbean said:

I know I've read this in this thread but is there a page in the GH or official FB post where this is laid out? Forum comments and tweets from a podcaster won't cut it, I'm afraid; I need something that cannot possibly be refuted because I just know it's going to come up (there's a few whiny man-babies at the store) and someone's going to give me grief about it.

Though I guess worst case scenario I could just toss 2 units of Orruks/Savage Orruks in there and have it not come up at all. It's only 200pts.

(I'm not trying to be a ****** so I'd like to apologize preemptively if I'm coming off that way.)

That's fine mate. There is the official FAQ

Just load up the app, go to gaming aids in the books section and look for the General's handbook FAQ. 

It's all in there. 

That cool or what? 

Just now, N_Watson said:

That's fine mate. There is the official FAQ

Just load up the app, go to gaming aids in the books section and look for the General's handbook FAQ. 

It's all in there. 

That cool or what? 

Yes. I just re-read the FAQ for the 3rd time. It's right there! Oh man I feel really dumb.

Time to go get some coffee!

Dot that list gave me the nerd shivers. Well that settles things, I'm going to buy another Megaboss and Mawkrusha. Who cares about objectives when double cabbage does the pinball game of death upon your enemy?

Hey guys,

Played another game last night, the Week 2 scenario for Season of War. I played against my friend's Elves, it was a mix of Dark Elves and Wood Elves. The scenario was SUPER fun, we loved the challenge part. I didn't love seeing my Megaboss unload a truckload of pain into his Shadowblade just for him to roll 6's the whole time and finally kill my Megaboss in round 3. Groggo was not happy. Seriously, this guy was rolling 6's like that's all he was capable of doing. 'Sorry bro, I can only roll 6's. In my contract. GGTYLBB'.

My List:

Megawarboss Groggo da Kegsmasher, Bane of Aleguzzler Gargants and Fungus Brew Aficionado (Battle Brew, Ravager)

Dave Lombardo the Warchanter of Da Defftonez (Talisman of Protection)

Brutes x5

Brutes x5

Brutes x5

Ironfist

Goregruntaz x3

Elves:

20 Dudes with Xbows, dark xbox something or other

20 Dudes with regular bows, wood neffs something or other

Some lady on a Dark Pegasus, Malekith's MILF

Some other lady with crazy 80's hair

Bunch of dudes with sharp sticks, dark sticks something or other

Legolas the Weight Watcher or something or other

I'm still pondering things with the Allegiance Abilities and Ironfist. I got some really high rolls on my right, and decided to flank with 2 units of Brutes (one rolled 13 the other 14 with Ravager). with some middling/low rolls otherwise. I'm not sure if it is wise to split my army and lose the buff auras like that...but it worked out. The Brutes smashed the Dark Sticks Flank into little chewy morsels and the Gore-gruntaz (after getting the Warchanter buff) went up and punched a unit of wood neffs so hard in the face they all left. This was all first turn, so to delete 2 units of 20 that fast due to Battleshock...big risk, big reward.

In his turn, he shot a bunch of stuff blah blah blah elves. Elves suck who cares. MILF charged into my Pigs Boys. 80's Hair was trapped in combat so she couldn't just run off like the Weight Watcher. Run run David Coverdale! Run away from Tawny Kitaen in danger! He did a bunch of stuff and nothing really happened besides elves losing wounds and Da Boyz bein' proppa! I think it was at this point that Groggo decided to sit this one out at the bar.

Seeing Groggo leave, Dave Lombardo kicked a bunch of Brutes at the Shadowblade and watched from the sidelines as the Brutes kicked the face off of the Shadowblades face. The Shadowblade exploded, and dealt Mortal Wounds all over the place. I reminded my opponent to roll for the nearby Warchanter, and he then promptly rolled a 6 again because that's all he can do contractually. ToP came into play and saved 2 of the 3 wounds, good artifact!

The rest of the game was just the Boyz bulldozing elves into graves and then chopping all the trees down to spite them. They then dug up the graves and ate them over the blazing Sylvaneth Groves. Groggo had come back and made a lovely Dr. Pepper and Bourbon BBQ glaze with a Wood Elf tear reduction to go with it.

Archived