How to give a feedback

Hey Again TGA, here I am back again, today with a strange question...

It seems I'm slowly becoming the best painter in my club (and it says all.. if you've seen my works :P ), therefore people started to ask me questions and suggestions. Also they're sending their pictures for feedbacks.

I think this is awesome! Also it is something I was aiming for, having people sharing their own pictures trying to improve their skills. So I'm kinda happy with that.

But now I have a "problem". I mainly asked for questions to more experienced people when it comes to painting, now that I am on the other side it's pretty weird... I'm posting a model as an example, and I'll tell you less or more what I told him - I was more polite as in Italian it is a bit easier eheh

1) Make a base - that will definitely help cleaning the model itself. A base with paint scratch on it really brings down a model, even if really good looking. At worst, paint it black.

2) Try to thin more the white, and do 2/3 really thin layer to avoid brush signs on the model (and thin all colors also)

3) third suggestion came from a friend of mine, and was "try to use some shade, your model will look more 'deep' (dunno if it is the right translation, though), and you can always bring up the color afterwards leaving the recesses darker.

So what about you? What if someone come to you with such a model, what would have been your first tip? :)

Eldar.jpg

I think my first thing would be thin your paints. Stuff like yellow and white are known to be a pain simply because they take a while to build up naturally and show through the basecoat. Also, prime in white. It's a bright scheme so it will make it easier for you to get the paint down.

Priming in white is something I haven't considered to suggest, but that's a very good tip. Thank you, will share with him .

In the meanwhile, he told me he'll thin a bit more his colors and try to be more accurate on the next model, as soon as I have another picture, I'll share it to show his improvements :)

You're totally right!

That's only an example, but I found that many people I know who just started the hobby (from scratch, I mean, knowing nothing at all about painting), find it hard to understand that paint needs to be thinned. So my good action for the month will be to organize few "painting lessons" to give them the basis :) - they don't speak English, GW tutorials are out of the blue for them.. sigh.

I think I will stick to only few points, but accurately so to give them a strong base. What do you think? 

1) know your paints - Base, shades, layer, others (they mainly use GW paints, so it's easier to divide them like they do)

2) thin your paint, why and how

3) which brush should I use, and for what?

-- 

Secondary: how did you learn to paint? Did someone gave you suggestions, or you started from your own? 
I've seen really impressive pieces in this forum, but how did you built your skill? Was your first miniature a fist in the eye, or was it a masterpiece?!

Archived