Question for #warhammerdads

Specifically, #warhammerdads in countries that celebrate Father's Day.

I can see two kinds of #warhammerdad.

1) It's Father's Day. Come, my precious family, let us spend this day together in familial bliss.

2) It's Father's Day. All of you sod off and let me play with my precious toy soldiers in peace for a day.

Now, 300+ other days of the year I'm a clear #1, but for Father's Day I'm all-in on #2.

Yeah I'm the home guy too. About 65/35 split my way for parenting time since I work 9-5 office type stuff and the missus often works evenings and Saturdays. So a break is a real treat.

I'm even parenting at the warhammer club since the only way I get to go is with my (astoundingly well-behaved) 5 year old along.

In my case I try to sneak in a #2 maybe once a month since Im on parental leave right now and spend enough time at home as it is.

If I may hijack the thread a bit and ask how you other parents have done with the kids and the hobby? What age have you introduced them, and in what way? My 3-yo is curious about the figs but he is not especially tender with them... He loves to roll dice thou so I have high hopes?

My first fathers day here, im pretty sure it will be option 1 but to be honest when I hobby my fiance is usually sat on the desk next to mine and our daughter sits with us so I never have to go hide away to get to do my hobbying

Congrats on all the dads celebrating their first father's day!

My oldest is super well behaved too, and I'd bring her with me at around 4. I started letting her paint some Orks when she was almsot 3, and try to paint with her whenever I can. She's not a full on gamer yet, but sometimes she sees a model and gets that gleam in here eye. She saw my Night Goblins I painted recently and went crazy!

36 minutes ago, Dez said:

Congrats on all the dads celebrating their first father's day!

My oldest is super well behaved too, and I'd bring her with me at around 4. I started letting her paint some Orks when she was almsot 3, and try to paint with her whenever I can. She's not a full on gamer yet, but sometimes she sees a model and gets that gleam in here eye. She saw my Night Goblins I painted recently and went crazy!

I just can't wait for this...!!

Expected delivery date is 29th of October (is it correct, delivery? sounds weird..), so I guess I'll have to wait few more years ;)

I recommend early conditioning of the family - if the kids get in the habit of "it's Father's Day, so we OWN you today" then that's with you for life.  If, however, they get in the habit of "it's Father's day, so Dad gets to do whatever he wants", then that's also with you for life (shout out to my missus, who every year offers me the choice, and it's a legit choice and not a trap).

34 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I recommend early conditioning of the family - if the kids get in the habit of "it's Father's Day, so we OWN you today" then that's with you for life.  If, however, they get in the habit of "it's Father's day, so Dad gets to do whatever he wants", then that's also with you for life (shout out to my missus, who every year offers me the choice, and it's a legit choice and not a trap).

That's the way it's done in my house...though taken a step further. Saturday is 'Daddy Gaming or whatever he wants' and Sunday is family day, and we always try to get the Grand dads involved too.

Congrats DamonRafael, that's exciting news! Delivery is the correct term, even if it isn't FedEx doing the job (different training :D).

It really also depends on whether or not every day is family day, or whether things are so busy in your life that you need a scheduled family day.  5+ days a week for me are Daddy-Daughter day.  Especially in the summer as missus picks up extra shifts to work 6 days almost every week. 

So a day for just me to be by myself is magical.  I'm not even going to try to arrange for any games or hobby hookups or anything - just sit alone in the air-conditioned basement, painting my toys, watching something that isn't PAW Patrol or f-ing Caillou on Netflix.

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

It really also depends on whether or not every day is family day, or whether things are so busy in your life that you need a scheduled family day.  5+ days a week for me are Daddy-Daughter day.  Especially in the summer as missus picks up extra shifts to work 6 days almost every week. 

So a day for just me to be by myself is magical.  I'm not even going to try to arrange for any games or hobby hookups or anything - just sit alone in the air-conditioned basement, painting my toys, watching something that isn't PAW Patrol or f-ing Caillou on Netflix.

Caillou is the most awful show on TV, I won't let my kids watch it. "Here kids, want to learn now to be a whiny brat? Watch this kid" /rant off

Nothing wrong with spending a day in the basement with your brushes either! I'm going to try and arrange some gaming ahead of time, but if not I'll be doing the same. I spend 7 days a week with the family...so a day off here and there is cool!

Hehe that sounds right most of the time, Tzr :)

One thing I didn't mention, my oldest is 11 now. She is at the age where she is getting ready to play more complex games...but it's got to be something that can be played quick without a lot of rules. AoS is great for this, I'm looking forward to playing Silver Tower with her too.

Nice to hear that most of you got the kids interrsted, looking forward to share the hobby with mine☺️ 

Is fathers day this coming weekend for you guys? In sweden it's the first sunday in november.

Archived