Painted Shadespire Warbands - Please post

Zlatan

8 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

where did the helmets come from for the two outside dudes @Nacnudllah ?

They're greenstuff, as are the big hat and the "skull" helm on Tefk.  I carved off the tall Fyreslayer hats and just blended some greenstuff into a pointy helmet shape, then poked 3 holes in it with a pin for the eyes.

• Like 1

Here is my Hallowed Knights warband, with converted Steelheart and Brightshield.  For Brightahield, I followed the conversion from the Warhammer community page. For Steelheart, I used a spare knight azyros Head, and the arms from a Liberator prime for the sword.  I also put an extra shield on his back, because I liked the aesthetic of him carrying it around in his back, but it sure is a lot of blue.  I like this pose a bit more than the stock pose with him holding his helmet, I feel like he is a bit more ready for a fight.

E5FBD177-32F1-4900-9CC7-8645629644C1.jpeg

7856AF7E-E83E-497A-95A7-CF3964AE72F6.jpeg

• Like 6

Just a very quick update on the shadespire warband: First 2 models done! Just finishing off the bases to match the rest of my undead force left (will be snow themed). 

cnttYSf.jpg

I've started experimenting with adding textures on the armor and cloth via micro scratches. The shadespire models really are gorgeous things to work on!

• Like 7

On 5.4.2018 at 10:02 PM, Elmir said:

Just a very quick update on the shadespire warband: First 2 models done! Just finishing off the bases to match the rest of my undead force left (will be snow themed). 

[pic]
I've started experimenting with adding textures on the armor and cloth via micro scratches. The shadespire models really are gorgeous things to work on!

How did you do the micro scratches? They look great! Only criticism I could give is that the champion's sword could use a bit more chipping, like you've done with the warden's spear.

---

I've finished my first two warbands, Steelheart's Champions and the Sepulchral Guard. Garrek's Reavers got bumped back in the queue by the brilliant Guard models, but they're next.

steelhearts_champions_front2.jpg.f440bb68b2ac9c91494f65eebe39b37a.jpg

sepulchral_guard_front.jpg.c08c1ba974e17631b9886967975f552e.jpg

sepulchral_guard_shields.jpg.f9b74ade1deea441463755419f367b7c.jpg

I chose blue as the spot color so I could do some "Finnish" themed shields.

I initially messed up the Guard's blue cloths with a wash (warden's cape was a blotchy mess!), but managed to fix it pretty nicely without repainting the whole thing. Also, the cloth on some figures looks glossy, that's from a coat of lahmian medium which should do a matte effect. I guess I didn't shake it enough.. Well, both of these warbands have certainly been learning experiences!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mcmattila said:

How did you do the micro scratches? They look great! Only criticism I could give is that the champion's sword could use a bit more chipping, like you've done with the warden's spear.

It's done with either a bright silver (on the metal) or a light grey in a criss-cross pattern. The effect is deliberately very stark, because I then a apply a thin glaze of the highlight colour of the cloak over it, so the scratches become a lot less obvious and more subtle. 

And yes, I've retouched the sword of the champion now and the warband is nearly finished. I'm hoping to get some decent pictures tonight. 

20 minutes ago, Elmir said:

It's done with either a bright silver (on the metal) or a light grey in a criss-cross pattern. The effect is deliberately very stark, because I then a apply a thin glaze of the highlight colour of the cloak over it, so the scratches become a lot less obvious and more subtle. 

And yes, I've retouched the sword of the champion now and the warband is nearly finished. I'm hoping to get some decent pictures tonight. 

Do you use a brush or something else? The scratches just look so.. micro :D

51 minutes ago, Elmir said:

They are made with a 10/0 brush, that was as tiny as I could find them at my local arts and crafts shop (I don't believe GW makes them that small). 

Thanks for the tips, I think I might try this scratching in my future projects! And I'm looking forward to seeing your finished Guard!

I think I'm done with this project. 

Also fixed up a box to fit the cards and dice with my band.

The boxes underneath are electric tea light candles.i swapped the dim flickering l.e.d. for a super bright one from a flashlight. Then used fiber optic strands to move the light up the columns and out to each models eye sockets. Some of the fiber optics are visible but hidden amongst the tall grass.

I'm not super happy with all the paint choices I made,but I'm only a mediocre painter anyways. 

But I think overall mission accomplished.

20180409_142903-1024x768.jpg

20180409_142857-1024x768.jpg

20180409_142751-1024x768.jpg

20180409_142714-1024x768.jpg

20180409_142634-1024x768.jpg

20180409_142553-1024x768.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Velvetelvis said:

United states has a store called hobby lobby. Those boxes are super cheap and come in all sorts of sizes and designs. I use them all the time for game stuff.

Thanks for the answer! I'm afraid hobby lobby doesn't have any shops in Belgium afaik... But you did inspire me to get out of bed early next sunday to scan the local flea market for something similar... it's super characterful to transport  your army in something like this! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goblin-King said:

I swear we have these very same chests in several craft and random junk stores in Denmark. They are pretty poor quality, but they get the job done.
My bet is cheap Chinese shipping all over the world.

Try eBay as well. I'll bet they have something VERY similar.

Yeah, if I can't find anything cool at the flea market, I'll give that a go. I kind of want to try the flea market first, because old stuff actually tends to be sturdier than mass produced stuff.... If it's a good sized box, it should be easy to put a steelsheet in it to magnetise it.