Painted Shadespire Warbands - Please post

Zlatan

3 hours ago, Changer said:

It’s Retributer Armour, washed with reikland, then retributer again, liberator as a area highlight and stormhost silver edged. I then went back and pin washed some recesses with the purple GW wash.

Finished Vol Orrukbane this afternoon, so halfway there.

0608C11D-C40F-4B78-8E37-B0AAE5060FE4.jpeg

F98D0A06-3D70-457A-95C2-5231F4E153D5.jpeg

4DEC57FB-9E4E-4C09-AD26-5D2D2AED5F7B.jpeg

AA8D3090-C479-412C-B7F5-8AD490476C32.jpeg

B9C2CCE7-69C6-47A3-ADBA-0FB76E1128D3.jpeg

Thank you! It looks really amazing! :)

• Like 1

I've been considering what to do in the cracks on the slayers' bases. On one hand, they clearly (to me) look like they should be glowy-lava-y, but on the other hand, I want a unified look for all my Shadespire models since they are all fighting in a single ruined city, not across different lands or realms.

I'm leaning toward no lava/glow, but seeing these photos here makes me waffle.

Nice work.

I was in two mind so how to do it too. Opted for lava in the end just for a bit of colour. I’ve been told my bases may be a little dark on the fyreslayers, so I might add a brighter drybrush once they’re all done.

I finished Mad Maegrim tonight. Just Tefk to do tomorrow.

99339AC0-DF48-4A6F-96E0-FCCB791C42C5.jpeg

E24DC626-77C1-4BD5-8266-BF745B0D84ED.jpeg

48D0F1B2-9A55-4445-A3C7-FC4B8ED9107A.jpeg

FF908195-D621-48E5-943C-B7CD453485EE.jpeg

4C5E80A5-BAAF-4910-BE96-F22FD499F1C8.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ledha said:

I'm slowly finishing the stormcast side of my Shadespire box.

I can't stop myself to love white armor, so painting them, then remember how much i HATE to paint white

shadespire.jpg

Do you have the same issue that white paint always turns out chalky no matter how thin? xD Awesome job regardless! :)

Edited by Kugane
  • Thanks 1

I have been lurking here for a while, and since I have finally finished some of my Warbands I thought I'd add them. These have all been done along with Duncan's tutorials for the miniatures, with some changes on the Reavers and the Guard.

The Champions and the Reavers were started pretty much when the game came out, doing little bits here and there, the Guard were pretty much all done over a weekend recently.

Firstly, Steelheart's Champions, the first miniatures I finished painting. 5a8bdd9191713_Shadespire-SteelheartsChampions-1.jpg.ba5becb1a4bf10716f3c29bf8b36c06b.jpg

The miniatures themselves aren't done brilliantly, especially parts of Brightshield where I got the primer on too thick and lost detail (on the back, particularly the sword). I am quite happy with the bases, which I finished off recently

Next Garrek's Reavers.

5a8be033e598f_Shadespire-GarreksReavers(1of1).jpg.a2571842853a161d36e26ddb0c044a28.jpg

I am generally happier with how these came out, but feel like I need some more practice on the skin. I tried to get the weapons to look like they were Obsidian rather than metal, don't think it worked fully but still created quite a nice effect.

Finally The Sepulchral Guard.

5a8be18f2e541_Shadespire-SepulchralGuard(1of1).jpg.ba7463b9bff8bca9e17962fb331d4c0a.jpg

I think these are done much better than the other two Warbands, which is just down to having the extra experience from painting the other two and doing stuff with other models. For the bases I tried for a frosted morning effect, which worked quite well.

Next to finish off the Ironjaws and the other two bands that are due to arrive today.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I do! 

I much prefer white primer for colors, but the GW white is an inferior product compared to their black. A shame.

I recently picked up a light grey brush-on primer from The Army Painter Effect paint line, and that one has no 'gritty' texture whatsoever. I use that now instead of the white primer mess. It also helps define a bit of shade when painting white :). Perhaps you can give it a go^^

I believe the paint number is WP1472

It looks a bit like Dawnstone

52 minutes ago, Moddey_Dhoo said:

I have been lurking here for a while, and since I have finally finished some of my Warbands I thought I'd add them. These have all been done along with Duncan's tutorials for the miniatures, with some changes on the Reavers and the Guard.

The Champions and the Reavers were started pretty much when the game came out, doing little bits here and there, the Guard were pretty much all done over a weekend recently.

Firstly, Steelheart's Champions, the first miniatures I finished painting. 5a8bdd9191713_Shadespire-SteelheartsChampions-1.jpg.ba5becb1a4bf10716f3c29bf8b36c06b.jpg

The miniatures themselves aren't done brilliantly, especially parts of Brightshield where I got the primer on too thick and lost detail (on the back, particularly the sword). I am quite happy with the bases, which I finished off recently

Next Garrek's Reavers.

5a8be033e598f_Shadespire-GarreksReavers(1of1).jpg.a2571842853a161d36e26ddb0c044a28.jpg

I am generally happier with how these came out, but feel like I need some more practice on the skin. I tried to get the weapons to look like they were Obsidian rather than metal, don't think it worked fully but still created quite a nice effect.

Finally The Sepulchral Guard.

5a8be18f2e541_Shadespire-SepulchralGuard(1of1).jpg.ba7463b9bff8bca9e17962fb331d4c0a.jpg

I think these are done much better than the other two Warbands, which is just down to having the extra experience from painting the other two and doing stuff with other models. For the bases I tried for a frosted morning effect, which worked quite well.

Next to finish off the Ironjaws and the other two bands that are due to arrive today.

Really nice job! A shame that the primer came a bit thick on the stormcasts though, but ah well, mistakes happen. As for the skin on the reavers they worked out quite nicely! A very easy trick to paint skin (in my opinion) is giving a thin basecoat in Cadian fleshtone and then wash with a Reikland Fleshshade 1:1 dilluted with Lahmian Medium. Apply 1 thin coat all over the flesh areas, then another thin coat to define some of the shades a bit more once it is dry. After the 2nd coat is dry re-highlight the lighter areas with a mix of 1:1 Cadian Fleshtone/Lahmian Medium, sometimes even 1:3 Cadian/Lahmian, to get it very very thin, and build up tiny layers on the raised areas. Finally another 1:1 mixture with Kislev flesh and just hitting the very tips of areas where light would touch, it'll give it a very clean look. Great for speed painting^^.

If you want a more darker skin tone you can also start with ratskin flesh > cadian > kislev, same shading steps :). 

40 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

@Kugane I know its a much older post, but oh my! Your Iron Horde is fantastic! I am tempted / terrified to give it a try. Any tips? to make this less daunting to a new painter?

Thank you! I speed painted those in a few hours (including drying times), so its not so bad! :) its long ago, so trying to recall xD

Step 1: prime black (lots of dark colours so black makes it easier). 

Step 2: mix nuln oil with lead belcher 1:1 to get a nice watery goodness. Go over all the metal areas. Just 1 coat will do even if it doesnt fully cover.

Step 3: mix leadbelcher with abbadon black 1:3 or so, add a ton of nuln oil. Start washing all armour once or twice until it looks black but still has some shades and highlights.

Simple aggrax earthshade wash for chainmails. (1 or 2 coats)

Step 4: drybrush with very very little leadbelcher on all the raised edges with a small drybrush. You can create some scratches here and there. But make sure its really dry.

Step 5: rakarth flesh for the skin, wash with a mix of coelia greenshade and reikland fleshshade, gives brown/pale green tint. Highlight with rakarth mixed with lahmian medium 1:1

Now the weapons...

Dry brush edges with rhinox hide > mephiston red > evil suns scarlet> bright orange (i will check the name for you later) > yellow (will check)> white edge highlight skull white

Mix skull white with lahmian medium 1:4 or so, just add more washes if black still shows through and reverse "shade" the deeper edges. Use a clean brush to wipe off excess at edges (or finger). Do that a few timea and repeag the reverse wash with a bit of yellow and orange.

Now for the trick. Look where the glow of the weapons would light up your mini in a real life scenario. Take rhinox hide and gently drybrush those areas very very very slightly. Make sure the brush is REALLY dry. Repeat with evil suns scarlet to build up some glow. Next mix lahmian and evil sunz scarlet 1:9 or so, just tiny bit. Keep glazing the glows bit by bit. So the blacks still show through but the glow is slightly visible.

Skulls: rakarth flesh base coat, aggrax wash

Cloak: rhinox hide > mix rhinox with mephiston and highlight, aggrax wash, again rhinox + mephiston highlight.

Ground... cant remember. Probably black > dawnstone drybrush > ushabti > aggrax earthshade

Belts... i think i used gorthok brown + aggrax wash

Regardless, I hate edgehiglighting, so i just use drybrushes , washes and glazes to get stuff done

I hope it helps! I think i put up a guide somewhere on the forum before... i will try to find the link. (Obviously I only remember after I am done writing, lol)

Edited by Kugane
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Thank you! I speed painted those in a few hours (including drying times), so its not so bad! :)

Step 1: prime black (lots of dark colours so black makes it easier). 

Step 2: mix nuln oil with lead belcher 1:1 to get a nice watery goodness. Go over all the metal areas. Just 1 coat will do even if it doesnt fully cover.

Step 3: mix leadbelcher with abbadon black 1:3 or so, add a ton of nuln oil. Start washing all armour once or twice until it looks black but still has some shades and highlights.

Simple aggrax earthshade wash for chainmails. (1 or 2 coats)

Step 4: drybrush with very very little leadbelcher on all the raised edges with a small drybrush. You can create some scratches here and there. But make sure its really dry.

Step 5: rakarth flesh for the skin, wash with a mix of coelia greenshade and reikland fleshshade, gives brown/pale green tint. Highlight with rakarth mixed with lahmian medium 1:1

Now the weapons...

Dry brush edges with rhinox hide > mephiston red > evil suns scarlet> bright orange (i will check the name for you later) > yellow (will check)> white edge highlight skull white

Mix skull white with lahmian medium 1:4 or so, just add more washes if black still shows through and reverse "shade" the deeper edges. Use a clean brush to wipe off excess at edges (or finger). Do that a few timea and repeag the reverse wash with a bit of yellow and orange.

Now for the trick. Look where the glow of the weapons would light up your mini in a real life scenario. Take rhinox hide and gently drybrush those areas very very very slightly. Make sure the brush is REALLY dry. Repeat with evil suns scarlet to build up some glow. Next mix lahmian and evil sunz scarlet 1:9 or so, just tiny bit. Keep glazing the glows bit by bit. So the blacks still show through but the glow is slightly visible.

Skulls: rakarth flesh base coat, aggrax wash

Cloak: rhinox hide > mix rhinox with mephiston and highlight, aggrax wash, again rhinox + mephiston highlight.

Ground... cant remember. Probably black > dawnstone drybrush > ushabti > aggrax earthshade

Belts... i think i used gorthok brown + aggrax wash

Regardless, I hate edgehiglighting, so i just use drybrushes , washes and glazes to get stuff done

I hope it helps! I think i put up a guide somewhere on the forum before... i will try to find the link.

Thank you so much for this. I'll probably go for this now. Much appreciated! 

45 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

@Kugane I know its a much older post, but oh my! Your Iron Horde is fantastic! I am tempted / terrified to give it a try. Any tips? to make this less daunting to a new painter?

Only red glow, but it has more depth then what i wrote earlier. I forgot about using coelia to make the red pop more. So use this guide instead. Its all about contrast xD.

Edited by Kugane

46 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Anyone else's Maegrim have a gap between the foot and toes? 

I couldt fully fit it either. Also have a gaping hole on the sides of one of the dwarves. I dont plan to play them, just for guests to use, so I will just let it be i suppose.

On 21-2-2018 at 12:30 AM, Gaz Taylor said:

Quickly got these done for the Grand Clash next week. Was going for a ethereal shade glass type look. Really enjoyed painting these as first but of proper painting I’ve done in years!! 

CA5FCF17-1C66-41C2-8A16-C9E5A6AD15C0.jpeg

Looks great! What colours did you use?^^

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

Looks great! What colours did you use?^^

I followed part of the painting guide from the Knight of shrouds that is on the Warhammer TV YouTube Channel. 

So it's a undercoat of Skull White, followed by a base coat of Nihilakh Oxide . This then had a wash/glaze of Waywatcher Green and then a dry brush of Ulthan Grey (although I didn't get enough paint off and this ended up being more of a wetbrush). I then highlighted with Ulthan Grey on key points to try and get the glass effect and kept on adding it working up to White Scar on key points. It's sort of worked but need to try again. But as this is the first set of models I have properly painted in 10 years (not base colour and dip), I'm pleased! :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I followed part of the painting guide from the Knight of shrouds that is on the Warhammer TV YouTube Channel. 

So it's a undercoat of Skull White, followed by a base coat of Nihilakh Oxide . This then had a wash/glaze of Waywatcher Green and then a dry brush of Ulthan Grey (although I didn't get enough paint off and this ended up being more of a wetbrush). I then highlighted with Ulthan Grey on key points to try and get the glass effect and kept on adding it working up to White Scar on key points. It's sort of worked but need to try again. But as this is the first set of models I have properly painted in 10 years (not base colour and dip), I'm pleased! :D 

They look really good :), I personally thing wet brushing gives a bit of a cleaner finish then drybrushing. Tends to look way too gritty when drybrushed. So may have worked out for the best!