Painted Shadespire Warbands - Please post

Zlatan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 7:05 PM, AndyPa said:

I really like the dirt on the cloth! great job!

Thanks a lot! The dirt was just simple drybrushing with the same colors as on the base. I do it with pretty much every model!

On 2/2/2020 at 11:51 PM, Mot said:

I love those fur cloaks. What colours did you use?

Cheers! Someone asked me this on my plog on Dakka, so I'll just copy-paste from there:

Brownish cloak:
*Basecolors*
Ushabti Bone
Zhandri Dust
Steel Legion Drab
Rhinox Hide
Abaddon Black
*Wash*
Agrax Earthshade
*Highlight*
light drybrush Screaming Skull + the basecolors except Abaddon Black

Reddish cloak:
*Basecolors*
Ushabti Bone
Zhandri Dust
Jokaero Orange
Rhinox Hide
Abaddon Black
*Wash*
Reikland Fleshshade
*Highlight*
light drybrush Screaming Skull + the basecolors except Abaddon Black

White-ish cloak:
*Basecolors*
Ulthuan Grey
Celestra Grey
Dawnstone
Eshin Grey
Abaddon Black
*Wash*
1:1 Nuln Oil & Lahmian Medium
*Highlight*
light drybrush White Scar + the basecolors except Abaddon Black

Note on the basecoating: to make painting easier I started with the midtones (Zhandri Dust / Celestra Grey). The pattern was roughly painted in with the basecolors, and the borders were then blended by either mixing an intermediate color on the palette or wetblending on the model.
Additional note on the highlighting: while I started by drybrushing each color band with it's lighter color, I ended up drybrushing basically the whole cape with the lightest color anyway (Screaming Skull / White Scar).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while, painted warbands thread, I wasn't sure if I was going to jump into Beastgrave or not, as I haven't had that much time to play in the other two seasons, but then someone got me the core box for my birthday last year so the decision was made for me!  Here's some warbands:

ENDS_KaWoAADTJy.jpg

ENBhF-uXsAEVpq1.jpg

20200219_203823.jpg

20200223_151311.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Anthony225 said:

Here are my "Slayers" (Chosen Axes) 

IMG_7454.JPG

IMG_7457.JPG

IMG_7458.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG

IMG_7460.JPG

IMG_7455.JPG

IMG_7456.JPG

IMG_7461.JPG

IMG_7462.JPG

Holy orange hair. How did you make those models? What are they based on? I recognise bits and pieces but man! Stellar paint job and amazing dynamic dwarf poses. (Which is hard to do)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Holy orange hair. How did you make those models? What are they based on? I recognise bits and pieces but man! Stellar paint job and amazing dynamic dwarf poses. (Which is hard to do)

Fjul Grimnir is the new(ish) Gotrek model for AOS

Tefk is a plastic version of Grombrindal as a slayer. you can look it up but I used the whole model (except the weapons)

Vol and Mad Maegrim I used the basic Chosen Axes models but cut their heads off and added heads from a fyrelslayers boxset and added the mohawk.  I shaved off their runes and skirts and added pants and tattoos. ( I personally think Mad Maegrim turned out the coolest)

I changed their weapons (expect Fjul Grimnir) by just swapping for cooler looking ones. Mad Maegrim was given hammers. 

There are WIP pictures in the Chosen Axes forum. Although the bases and weapons we changed a bit from that point.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

5 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

Fjul Grimnir is the new(ish) Gotrek model for AOS

Tefk is a plastic version of Grombrindal as a slayer. you can look it up but I used the whole model (except the weapons)

Vol and Mad Maegrim I used the basic Chosen Axes models but cut their heads off and added heads from a fyrelslayers boxset and added the mohawk.  I shaved off their runes and skirts and added pants and tattoos. ( I personally think Mad Maegrim turned out the coolest)

I changed their weapons (expect Fjul Grimnir) by just swapping for cooler looking ones. Mad Maegrim was given hammers. 

There are WIP pictures in the Chosen Axes forum. Although the bases and weapons we changed a bit from that point.

They are so awesome. I’m going to have a go at them once I can get to the shop again 

17 minutes ago, Kramer said:

They are so awesome. I’m going to have a go at them once I can get to the shop again 

If you haven’t seen the WIP yet it’ll give you a good idea how to cut the head off Vol and Maegrim. The trick is “extracting” the head, but leaving the beard and lips. And then I used the bald head from the Fyreslayers box, but I had to cut that at a weird angle at the bottom. Hard to explain, but if your decent at cutting/modeling you should be able to mimic it. 
gotrek and tefk were literally just plastic versions of slayers gotrek is did nothing to but Tefk I did reposition his right hand a bit just to look more realistic. The model I used for him is originally in this weird “all the way sideways” jumping motion while swinging an axe. You could look the model up by searching for “grombrindal”

53 minutes ago, Anthony225 said:

If you haven’t seen the WIP yet it’ll give you a good idea how to cut the head off Vol and Maegrim. The trick is “extracting” the head, but leaving the beard and lips. And then I used the bald head from the Fyreslayers box, but I had to cut that at a weird angle at the bottom. Hard to explain, but if your decent at cutting/modeling you should be able to mimic it. 
gotrek and tefk were literally just plastic versions of slayers gotrek is did nothing to but Tefk I did reposition his right hand a bit just to look more realistic. The model I used for him is originally in this weird “all the way sideways” jumping motion while swinging an axe. You could look the model up by searching for “grombrindal”

I know the Grombrindal model and it's on the 'someday' list for a long time but this is a brilliant excuse for it. I'll go looking for the WIP picture. I'm confortable with repositioning and combining models and parts. Not so much sculpting but the pants might be a great learning point. And it solves an issue I had for an conversion project. 
Giving Long Drong a place in the mortal realms :) 

13 hours ago, Kramer said:

I know the Grombrindal model and it's on the 'someday' list for a long time but this is a brilliant excuse for it. I'll go looking for the WIP picture. I'm confortable with repositioning and combining models and parts. Not so much sculpting but the pants might be a great learning point. And it solves an issue I had for an conversion project. 
Giving Long Drong a place in the mortal realms :) 

Wow, a Long Drong warband sounds very interesting. What's better than a unit of Slayers? A unit of slayers with guns! Could use Thundrik's as the warband also so it would be competitive. Ideas a brewing...

5 minutes ago, Anthony225 said:

Wow, a Long Drong warband sounds very interesting. What's better than a unit of Slayers? A unit of slayers with guns! Could use Thundrik's as the warband also so it would be competitive. Ideas a brewing...

Oh I’m going full army with it 😁 

But hell yeah long drong as thundeik works. First thoughts would be:
khemist, barrel of beer over his shoulder

thunderer/Gatling gun: blunderbus slayer

Skywarden: maybe swinging in on a rope. Like film style boarding move.