Painted Shadespire Warbands - Please post

Zlatan

On 21/12/2017 at 4:02 PM, thoughttrauma said:

5a3bdaf3b4dbb_thumbnail(2).jpg.e18ca44eceb678d3ba4cfba536ac7586.jpg5a3bdaf609413_thumbnail(1).jpg.a3aa4296a137684621c1b37ccd67c9fb.jpg5a3bdaf2232ab_thumbnail(3).jpg.643f2e0d1f0460b6370e3f21107bef6c.jpg5a3bdaef4a504_thumbnail(4).jpg.73a8aebb82d2a6bd177a7a9e61316026.jpg

4 months later...

Haven’t painted any yet, been toying with colouring the base rims to the original colour. Love your subtle approach, did you go back and add or leave the original showing through?

• Like 6

My sepulchral guard got finished: 

Qo8QNre.jpg

And I also update the paintjobs on my first 2 warbands: 

First, the diversity inspector came by to check on the reavers: 

W9mU5AD.jpg

While steelheart's champions received some very minor touch ups, mostly on the face and hair. 

hNc2LEd.jpg

• Like 12

I've never been a Games Workshop consumer until Shadespire but I've painted miniatures for board games recently and for Battletech a looooong time ago.  I'm firmly in the amateur camp and happy with just a basecoat, cleanup details then wash.  Figured I'd put my work up as I like to think that for the time invested they look pretty good and hopefully inspire others to give it a try knowing you don't have to do two thin coats, wash, drybrush, detail, wash again, drybrush again, etc.

Not really knowing the game world I stuck pretty close to what's on the box for most of these:

dDdEio9.jpg

g4s9Izl.jpg

a1VGqZb.jpg

For the Sepulchral Guard I didn't like the idea of them being in "uniform" so I gave the named guys their own color scheme, leaving the Petitioners in khaki:

X7CqD90.jpg

For the Orruks... I just didn't like that bright yellow on them at all and went with something a little more muted:

xU2SccD.jpg

For the Chosen Axes... early in their "Let's Chat" thread someone talked about maybe painting them to look like the Earthen from World of Warcraft (a sort of Golem-like precursor to the Dwarves in that game) and I liked the idea so much I decided to give it a try as I really didn't like their default look:

PuDNUJS.jpg

I thought about putting some gold or other color on them but wound up committing to the gray/steel/blue look.  I wasn't really happy with them until I got the "sapphire" runes and eyes done and that put it all together for me.

Edited by Daveman
  • Like 10

On 14.4.2018 at 7:34 AM, Sleboda said:

I have a sort of a goal to get all warbands painted before the next ones come out. With that in mind, here are my rush-job Chosen Axes in time before tomorrow. :)

Rushed or not, those look great!

On 14.4.2018 at 4:16 PM, Daveman said:

I've never been a Games Workshop consumer until Shadespire but I've painted miniatures for board games recently and for Battletech a looooong time ago.  I'm firmly in the amateur camp and happy with just a basecoat, cleanup details then wash.  Figured I'd put my work up as I like to think that for the time invested they look pretty good and hopefully inspire others to give it a try knowing you don't have to do two thin coats, wash, drybrush, detail, wash again, drybrush again, etc.

Nice, clean-looking warbands! They certainly show that as long as you keep the colors "in between the lines", you will get a good-looking warband! In the future if you want to enhance your painting with minimal effort, I'd suggest drybrushing some select colors, mainly metals hair or cloth, though you have to do this first as it can get messy. Another trick is to use shades to tint colors a bit, such as using agrax earthshade or nuln oil to darken down parts of weapons or armor. Both methods are very quick and don't require much accuracy. Of course, drybrushing and hence adding more definition to some areas of a model might make orther parts look bland..

I'm going to go with orange orcs as well, as soon as I get those models!

So after a few weeks of painting I've finally been able to complete Spiteclaw's Swarm.

This is the warband I'll be taking to the Grand Clash next week.  I've not quite finished the project for them though, as I'm also building a display based for them!

I'll post the full thing up when it's all completed.

Hungering 1.jpg

Hungering 2.jpg

Hungering 3.jpg

Lurking 2.jpg

Lurking 3.jpg

Lurking 1.jpg

Festering 1.jpg

Festering 2.jpg

Festering 3.jpg

Krrk 1.jpg

Krrk 2.jpg

Skritch 1.jpg

Skritch 2.jpg

Spiteclaw's Swarm.jpg

• Like 17

20 hours ago, Resolv said:

This is my first Farstrider leader painted. What do you think? I love extreme lights.

IMG_20180417_145710.jpg.a87552882f25f1d1d9fd0e74c95dc19e.jpg

and

40 minutes ago, Resolv said:

Another painted.

IMG_20180418_131749.jpg

These are stunning! Makes me want to reconsider the scheme I had in mind for my Liberators! :S

On 4/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, Changer said:

So after a few weeks of painting I've finally been able to complete Spiteclaw's Swarm.

This is the warband I'll be taking to the Grand Clash next week.  I've not quite finished the project for them though, as I'm also building a display based for them!

I'll post the full thing up when it's all completed.

Nice work! How did you paint the armor and what colors did you use for it?

24 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

Nice work! How did you paint the armor and what colors did you use for it?

Thanks! I’m looking forward to showing the display board off too; it’s nearly finished.

The armour recipe is:

50:50 leadbelcher:abbadon black 

Agrax wash

Thinned leadbelcher on the lighter areas

Sepia wash

Leadbelcher again on the lighter areas

Edge highlight of Stormhost Silver

Then the dirt and rust isn’t just thinned Mournfang Brown and Troll Slayer Orange.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Changer said:

¡Gracias! Tengo muchas ganas de mostrar la pizarra también; está casi terminado.

La receta de la armadura es:

50:50 leadbelcher: abbadon ***** 

Lavado Agrax

Thinned leadbelcher en las áreas más claras

Sepia lavado

Leadbelcher nuevamente en las áreas más claras

Punto culminante del borde de Stormhost Silver

Entonces la suciedad y el óxido no solo se diluyen Mournfang Brown y Troll Slayer Orange.

Really really nice.

• Like 1

A slow work week meant I was able to knock out Magore's Fiends too!  As much as I liked the idea of skulls and lava, it didn't seem to match up with what I think Shadespire is like so I went with an eerie ghost-like river of undeath look...

0xhmYSv.jpg

• Like 4

On 20.4.2018 at 11:55 AM, zabbraxas said:

A bit late but there is my dwarf

DYrymUPW0AA_ufH.jpg.d38d043225ac738c79f13368c627c125.jpg

Nice!

I planned on doing one of mine like that, with the others in differnt states of burning red hot or just having glowing runes etc, so I'm even more happy to see it looks great when done well. I'm under pressure to make mine look good now, though :D

• Like 1

Finished 2 more! The fyreslayers and ironjawz. I decided to base the fyreslayers on the World of warcraft Dark Iron Dwarves: 

ifz2T4S.jpg

mCUepmY.jpg

These models were a lot of fun to paint. Especially the dwarves who actually have very dynamic poses for such short stubby guys! :D

• Like 12

On 4/20/2018 at 5:55 AM, zabbraxas said:

A bit late but there is my dwarf

DYrymUPW0AA_ufH.jpg.d38d043225ac738c79f13368c627c125.jpg

Nice! Glowing orange eyes wouldn’t be amiss in these ... kind of a burning from the inside. (Especially given the coal colored skin.)

Perhaps a little contrast on the beards. Similar to what you’ve done on the plumes on the helms. 

• Like 1