Tzaangor Horror Combo

Gaxz

Hey guys, 

Wanted your opinion on this list, I found this out myself before I ‘googled’ it (other search engines are available) and found other had thought of the idea and people have dismissed it as ‘not as intended’. 

Ill be completely honest I’m 60/40 on it tbh. I can see both side and I’d love some constructive discussion, no hostility or what not.

So here goes:- the combo is

Tzaangor Icon Bearer - For every WIZARD friend or foe within 9” you have that many dice and on a 4+ a mortal wound is dealt to a unit within 18”. On its own quite poor, however mix it with. 

Pink Horrors - Key word WIZARD. 

Therefore a large unit of 40, all within 9” (not sure if it’s possible but I think it is), 40 dice, 4+’s, that many mortal wounds to a single unit. 

Mix them and suddenly it quite powerful.

I believe that this is more models in range too, so if only half your massive pink horror unit is within 9” then only 20 dice would be rolled you can’t daisy chain or whatever from how I’m reading it, it mentions nothing about unit just for ever Wizard. 

The arguement comes when you say that no matter how many in the unit it can only cast 1 spell, however if there is only 1 left it’s still 1 spell, and is specifically states only 1 spell. However I do catch their drift.

Last thing (promise):- 

with the armies I’m seein at the sharpe end of the spectrum, I feel have as much if not more ‘gimmicks’ than this and as I’m sure all of you whom have read this far, when you build a list you also see what could be your ‘Achilles heel’ and cause you issues and I’ve found a few. 

With the whole ‘As intended’ argument, the Battle Brew, unit champ as general, to name a few, was clearly not as intended however it was continued until the new generals handbook when it was changed. 

Thanks for reading  this far and please leave a message/reply and please if there is FAQ or a different thread please link it. 

Much appreciated

Gaz

There's some pretty "matter-of-fact" statements in here without any rules/errata/rulings  given to back them up. - we should try to avoid that.  I've seen this question posed before (just after the Tzaangors were released) but never a definitive answer on it; however if read as each model applying another roll it isn't just "quite powerful" as OP said, it's absurdly broken. I don't know of any players who would be happy with an opponent trying to lobby for this interpretation, but I don't see it as incorrect RAW (just in poor taste). Without the relevant text stating "wizard unit", but simply "wizard"... we will need specific clarification in the form of a FAQ or at least a response from the rules team. If there already is such a response that I'm unaware of, all the better.

As a concensuss it seems people are lobbying against such a rule which is why I posted gauge people ‘outrage’ or opionions and I’m happy with them and I appreciate the responses. 

I still think the rule simply states for every wizard indicating model of which has the wizard keyword, however also believe this was no as the rule was intended for play. But as free jack said clarification would be lovely. 

I have a friend who is willing to play test it and try out how OP it really is and we are going to see against a standard army, and against a finely tuned tournement list, (he also a pretty decent at his army). Just for play test results and I’ll report back.

once again, thanks for your opinions an input. 

Yep - the wording is a little unclear on this but as a rule keywords apply to units as a whole. A block of 30 Pink Horrors is one unit with the 'Wizard' keyword, not 30 wizards.

A block of Tzaangor screened by 2-3 minimum strength units of Pink Horrors with supporting casters is solid and puts out a couple of mortal wounds in addition to everything else it can do. They don't need more than that!

37 minutes ago, MacDuff said:

Dude, just go read the Pink Horrors PDF on the GW site: "Magic: A *unit* of Pink Horrors can attempt to cast *one* spell in each of your hero phases and attempt to unbind *one* spell in each enemy hero phase."

By this logic, Teclis who is a Wizard and 1 model can cast 1 spell, however his warscroll says he can cast 3 (the last time I read it). This wording imo was put here to make it clear that just because there is 30 horrors and they are each a wizard that the unit can still only cast 1 spell, so people don’t spam Arcane bolts. This was to Calrify rules, which what i was asking about, however as mentioned in the original post it’s a valid arguement against.

15 minutes ago, CJPT said:

Yep - the wording is a little unclear on this but as a rule keywords apply to units as a whole. A block of 30 Pink Horrors is one unit with the 'Wizard' keyword, not 30 wizards.

A block of Tzaangor screened by 2-3 minimum strength units of Pink Horrors with supporting casters is solid and puts out a couple of mortal wounds in addition to everything else it can do. They don't need more than that!

I agree I reckon there is another synergy here that could be useful and approx 20mortal wounds a game. 

Cheers again. 

Archived