Changeling and Balewind Vortex

Well of Eternity

Question

Hi,

My favourite topic - Balewind Vortex ;)

I had a discussion with my friend about Changeling and Vortex.

As we know - Changeling can "steal" spells from wizards  within 9".  Let suppose that Changeling is within 9" from enemy caster which know summon balewind vortex spell (because your opponent has Vortex model). You don`t have that model but You have enough summoining points.

Now - you have initiative in round I. Changelling cast Summon Balewind Vortex spell and.... (?)

a) Changelling can`t use that spell because you dont have Vortex model

b) Changelling can use that spell and summon vortex (-100 pts from your summoning pool) BUT if your opponent has only one model... he can`t use his vortex until Changelling is on table/on top of the Vortex?

c) ...?

5 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

(A).

How is this even a discussion?!

It's not your model.

Next up, The changeling cripples a Seraphon army by summoning all of them first...

@"How is this even a discussion" - becasue why not? Ability on Changeling scroll allow him to use/know any spell from enemy casters so we discussed WHAT IF he will try to use Summon Balewind Vortex spell.

BTW. Changeling can only summon units from CHAOS GAlliance.  Otherwise - interesting idea  ;)

Just now, Well of Eternity said:

@"How is this even a discussion" - becasue why not? Ability on Changeling scroll allow him to use/know any spell from enemy casters so we discussed WHAT IF he will try to use Summon Balewind Vortex spell.

BTW. Changeling can only summon units from CHAOS GAlliance.  Otherwise - interesting idea  ;)

Page 1 of the rules.

1st paragraph.

*Your* miniatures from *your* collection.

It's exactly the same as knowing all the summon spells but not having models for them...

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Next up, The changeling cripples a Seraphon army by summoning all of them first...

No can do (in matched play at least), even if you have Seraphon models of your own handy: GHB2017 p77: "Reinforcement units must belong to the same Grand Alliance as the rest of your army"

You could however take the opportunity to have the Changeling summon a unit of K'daii Fireborn when playing against Chaos Dwarfs, though quite why you'd want to is beyond me.

Im not sure the chageling can know the spell. The Balewind Call rule specifies that your wizard can only know it if you have a Balewind Vortex. In the example you use, while your opponents wizard knows the spell, you dont have the model.

Kind like you knowing the summoning spell for 'Summon Plague Drones' even if you dont have any.

If it was trying to explain in it the background, the Changling would know the spell, but it would be in a wierd twisitng language that he couldnt understand.

image.png.2ee308fb8521febabcd5f3533b26fa1a.png

Archived