Sepulcral guard progress and advice

zabbraxas

Hi, i'm currently working on my Sepulcral guard for shadespire and try to improv my painting in the operation

I'm stil working on this dude and i need some advice. it's my second attempt on nmm and it look a little dull for me. I wonder if a black wash can help to make it pop a little more or if miss some step. So if you have some advice they are welcome

IMG_20171121_103827.jpg

IMG_20171121_103841.jpg

so far i use a "raphael 8404 kolinsky 0" and now i'm going for detail work a "series7 winsor& newton 1" or a  "armipainter kolinsky masterclass"

I know it need a lot of work on it, but with my lack of experience in nmm I prefer asking all the way of the process

5 hours ago, zabbraxas said:

so far i use a "raphael 8404 kolinsky 0" and now i'm going for detail work a "series7 winsor& newton 1" or a  "armipainter kolinsky masterclass"

I know it need a lot of work on it, but with my lack of experience in nmm I prefer asking all the way of the process

And that i believe is the only way to go, my friend! :)

you have the right brushes for the job, which is good. Apologizes for the crappy image explanation to follow, i dont have the tools to better show what i mean on here. 

077BA9A8-B328-420D-B32A-1F3AF8DE553D.jpeg.1f81059c8174dd1e0bc8bdf31e0abfa5.jpeg

1) you want to make a sharper separation of the lights and dark on the sharp edge of the armor on the chest plate. I suggest practcing “loaded brush” (painting buddah has a good explanation and shows you how to do it in one of his NMM videos on youtube, i believe its his gold NMM tutorial)

2) the same goes for the legg and feet. You want to make that a very deep dark blue/black on the right hand side fading back fairly quickly to a bright mid tone id say. On the opposite side you’d go from a white to a bright mid tone and and place a green glaze on top of the foot, as it looks like youve already done there. 

3) the same idea as the gren goes to all colors around the armor. It looks like youve done the same with the purple too, which is great. 

I think you’ve done a great job so far, i think you just need more contrast and quicker transitions to get it a little more shiny. But the muted metal you have now works well with the model as he is, after all, undead and not forged by sigmar. ^^ 

im not by far an expert at NMM, so maybe someone else has more and better advice for you. But id thought id share what i can. 

• 1 month later...

some update, i rework the contrat  and push it a little more and the  result was way better (the pic was a little to bright i'm gonna take a better one next time)

wardenF.jpg.347e78901e1ed9206123f55df6338c3a.jpgwardenB.jpg.253c75abc17afbcd0e8967c6d284c962.jpg

So i'm done with this guy so far (i maybe come back to him when i improve my technique) and now i'm  on the champ trying to make the same thing with gold, a little osl and trying to find a nice way to durt a little more this banner

champF.jpg.fde646a565752f90fa630e5a2066ea89.jpgchampB.jpg.ea147e936137f4d195751d0beb0ee46c.jpg

Archived