Bonesplitterz Tattoos

Ollie Grimwood

Hah, for a short moment I thought you'd get yourself tattoos with Bonesplitterz symbols.  :D

Ok, for the colors I would probably go for a bright red to make them really stand out.

How to draw them.... I have no clue. Just freehand I guess. Some tribal-like shapes or so.

• Like 1

@Ollie Grimwood - Whilst the designs could be the same, the technique and colours used for tattoos would differ to warpaint. Warpaint is obviously daubed over the top of the skin, whilst tattoos are imbedded into and under the skin. Even GW mix up the two by referring to what is clearly warpaint in the Bonesplitterz book, as tattoos!

If you're going for warpaint then you can use literally any colours you like as theoretically you do not need to consider the skin colour. In terms of the design I would definitely practice drawing, then painting them on a flat piece of paper before attempting to freehand the model. Try and break the shapes down into several smaller ones that make on the design, or just keep it very simple to start with.

If you fancy trying your hand with tattoos, the key is to add some of the skin tone into the colour mix that you are painting the design in and usually a thin glaze of the top skin tone right at the end will tie it all in. Remember you're trying to make it look like something permanent and part of the skin as opposed to a bright design whacked over the top...unless you want that look, then you go the warpaint route (which is what I do with my Ironjawz).

The only good tattoos I've seen on greenskins have been done with a darker green. The equivalent to our black tattoos I guess. In general you very rarely see good/realistic tattoos on miniatures IMO. That said, warpaint is a completely acceptable alternative that often far better serves the purpose of adorning your models with a spot colour etc.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

@Chris Tomlin thanks very informative.  Sounds like warpaint is what I’m after to provide a bit of spot colour and I guess I can borrow some tribal designs. 

No worries mate. Yeh I think this sounds ideal tbh.

Probably worth googling various tattoo styles for inspiration as well. I think warpaint is better suited to the less complicated designs as in my mind the Orruks would be daubing it on with crude tools or their hands, so perhaps the more intricate designs aren't quite so fitting. All just my opinion of course!

Be sure to share what you come up with :) 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...