Tokens for AoS?

When I came back to AoS I was in the same position. To start with I bought a jumbo bag of tiddly winks and a Sharpie pen and just wrote the buffs on the plastic counters. This worked fine until a club mate found @wolfpack_paul on twitter who made us both some custom tokens.

I would suggest to write down on some paper (like the back of your army list) a To-do list of the phases order (Hero, Movement, Shooting, etc.) and add the things to do / remember under each phases.

The next level would be to take some 25mm bases, and convert token for every abilities, spells, etc. you got (using the existing Warscroll Cards like the Sylvaneth one as an exemple : https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warscrolls-Sylvaneth-2017-eng )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I hate having tokens clutter up the board. I use skull beads for wounds and flip tokens over (some cardboard, some plastic), and glue some sand and small  bushes on to make tokens look like terrain. Sure, I have to flip them over to read them, but they stay with a unit as a reminder.

• Like 1

Personally I wish GW would embrace cards in a more meaningful way. 

Warscroll cards are good, but they are bulky and full of information and you don't really want loads of them if, say, you took 5 clanrat units. 

However what if there were avatar cards for each "unit". Perhaps with a small slot you can write on which lets you denote them as a group, colour, number, insignia for the tabletop to be tied too.* Then you can place your modifiers onto the card for the game for quick reference with simple tokens that denote the name of a spell or the property - eg +1 wound etc...

That lets players keep track whilst also not heavily increasing the bloat on the tabletop. Warscroll cards still have a use, but you're not cluttering them and covering the text with tokens and you've got one "avatar card" for each unit on the table. 

Plus once you've got an avatar card for a unit you don't need to get them ever again unless you get more models for a larger number of units. So GW can make a neat pack up and sell it once to every gamer regardless of the games "generation". 2.0, 3.0, 10.0 etc... because all the card does is tie itself to a unit on the table. 

*eg.

Green squad might be the unt with a green rim on the base

Death Bolt might be the squad who has a standard with a bolt on the banner etc..

• Like 1

For tokens, I make my own by designing tokens in whatever image program you prefer and printing them out. I've used a ton of different things (even buying acrylic tokens for other game systems) - this is a good long term solution.

As for their actual construction, I use a 1 inch circle punch and 1 inch coin capsules to encapsulate them. You can make coin tokens double sided and they're both extremely durable, but you can swap out the designs on the inside if you want.

The punch is only a couple of dollars at a craft store, the capsules you can find on dozens of eBay sellers for around $1 for 10.

I've just taken a photo so you can see what I mean. Please note, I'm no design genius, I have just gone for contrast.

IMG_0037.jpeg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Overread said:

Warscroll cards are good, but they are bulky and full of information and you don't really want loads of them if, say, you took 5 clanrat units. 

Not quite following you on this?  I run 3 units of Skeletons - I only have one GW Warscroll card out on the table for them.  So if you ran 5 clanrat units, you'd still only have one Warscroll card for them.

36 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Not quite following you on this?  I run 3 units of Skeletons - I only have one GW Warscroll card out on the table for them.  So if you ran 5 clanrat units, you'd still only have one Warscroll card for them.

Aye but if you were using a unique Warscroll card for each unit of skeletons to track their own game state then you'd need 3 of those Warscrolls out. 

The Warscroll is a great card for rules reference, but its too big for making it as an avatar marker for your units in game. It's the same reason why if you look at Warmachine, all their cards are standard playing card size; you can lay out a good number and they don't take up too much room. Of course they use their's for stat tracking; however their more recent faster updating of rules means that they've sort of fallen out of marketing one of hteir original core appeals (cards in the box) because they fall out of date too fast (and not being a card company they have to import them all).

That's why I mentioned the idea of an avatar card. A card that is nothing more than a card, probably with a unit picture on it, and a short section to write your own unique identifier onto it. You then put counters and cards and wound dice (save for when you've more than 1 model in the unit and need to note which model has the wound taken off) and the like on the card rather than having them out in the battlefield. 

3 hours ago, Overread said:

Aye but if you were using a unique Warscroll card for each unit of skeletons to track their own game state then you'd need 3 of those Warscrolls out. 

The Warscroll is a great card for rules reference, but its too big for making it as an avatar marker for your units in game. It's the same reason why if you look at Warmachine, all their cards are standard playing card size; you can lay out a good number and they don't take up too much room. Of course they use their's for stat tracking; however their more recent faster updating of rules means that they've sort of fallen out of marketing one of hteir original core appeals (cards in the box) because they fall out of date too fast (and not being a card company they have to import them all).

That's why I mentioned the idea of an avatar card. A card that is nothing more than a card, probably with a unit picture on it, and a short section to write your own unique identifier onto it. You then put counters and cards and wound dice (save for when you've more than 1 model in the unit and need to note which model has the wound taken off) and the like on the card rather than having them out in the battlefield. 

Ah, I see what you mean now.  In truth if you were using a unit card for tracking buffs/debuffs I'd prefer a A5 binder and sticky tokens.  Biggest disadvantage is that you'd need a token for every single buff/debuff in the game and housekeeping would be a nightmare :D

Personally I'd love to play a game where there was nothing on the table other than the models I'm playing with - no warscrolls, tokens, dice, drinks etc - bit of a pipe dream in fairness ;)

I understand the pain of needing to remember so many things your models do. I was going to put post-it notes to remind me of everything I needed to remember on the specific warscroll pages in my tome to remember specific rules, mostly the ones that are 'at the start of the combat phase' and such.

I'm thankful the Skaven tome seems to now have really reduced the need for that level of book-keeping as far as things were for me before. Looking at the Verminlord Corruptor, I just need to remember his Plaguemaster ability at the end of the fight phase that effects models near him (same as the Poisonous Fumes on the Plague Furnace) and I may make some tokens to represent his 'Lord of Pestilence' command ability to go with some 'Rabid-Rabid' tokens so I can visualise which Monks are currently buffed and which ones aren't by the Plague Furnace.

I feel new battletomes will move to have earlier units pre-2.0 edition to be more easier to use as is, I believe we've got to peak of remembering rules and selling tokens to cover them. Whilst it'd be in Geedubs interest to make more rules like this so they could sell more tokens to show them in effect or not on the table, they seem to be making the units more playable. I can't complain about that.

I think any token can work as it will remind you that something is in effect, can usually then remember what it is if prompted like that. 

Ive based some individual nurglings on 20mm bases to paint up and use for this reason, I do have the specific MDF tokens but they do spoil the look of the board a bit. 

I can somewhat understand the desire for an uncluttered board. However, I'd much rather recall all the buffs, abilities, and spells in play each turn and utilize those to the fullest, over maintaining immersion in narrative. Maybe my perspective will change once I've been playing longer and can recall the rules, and order of play more readily, but for now I really need those visual aids.

Edited by Wilhelm Stürmer
#grammarnazi

1 hour ago, JPjr said:

I used to make loads of pin badges to give away with various projects, and I just realised they could be a nice way of making tokens.

you can buy a kid's badge making machine for something like $30 that would do the job.

I'm fairly sure someone is doing this online for Kill Team, with the designs themed for each faction to boot. They're for sure a great idea and now I'm grinning thinking of a themed pin-badge from my Pestilens I could wear out... 'Plaguemaster' and 'Lord of Pestilence' is a pretty rockin' thing to have written on a badge!  😁

Edited by wander

8 hours ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

@froo I REALLY like what you've done with that. I wasn't aware the coin capsule's were even a thing. Can the circle punch handle paper thicker than standard printer paper? I think it would be nice to have the tokens in a card stock or similar thickness just so they aren't so flimsy.

Yep, the tokens in that picture are on 250gsm paper stock (although it doesn't look it).

Punches/Capsules come in many different sizes. The 1 inch one seems to be the cheapest, I also have a 2 inch punch and some 50mm coin capsules I use for objective markers/the relocation orb/my bad moon marker. The punch in that instance was not cheap.

• Like 1