Stormcast Eternal Knight-Questor Painting Tutorial

amysnuggs

Hi everyone, I have posted this tutorial on various social media sites and I thought I would post it here for you guys on TGA. This is a step by step tutorial on how I painted my Stormcast Eternal Knight-Questor, I thought someone may find it useful, as I used various different techniques in it such as glazing, weathering and freehand scratches and chips :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :) 

IMG_2998.JPG

I glue the whole model to the base, and then apply relevant basing materials.

IMG_3007.JPG

I prime the model using Vallejo Surface Primer Black using an airbrush.

IMG_3008.JPG

I base coat the model using an airbrush with GW Retributor Armour. I apply the rest of the basing material. This is a mix of grey paint, sand, and crushed oyster shells. I leave this to dry overnight.

IMG_3029.JPG

I apply all the base coats, I work this way in order to get the whole model to the same stage in order to paint all the washes at the same time. 
The colours used are as followed:
Plume: Stegadon Scale Green 
Cloak, Sword Haft and Tassets: Khorne Red
Metallics: Vallejo Gungrey
Shield, belt, straps and shoulder pad: Vallejo Black 
Scroll and Skull on the base: Zandri Dust
Rocks on the base: Celestra Grey

IMG_3050.JPG

Next stage is the first stage of shading. All my shades are thinned 50:50 with Lahmian Medium.

Plume: Coelia Greenshade
Cloak, tassets and sword haft: Carroburg Crimson, I only use this as a glaze in the recesses for the cloak
Metallics: Nuln Oil
Scroll and skull: Reikland Fleshshade
Base: Agrax Earthshade
Stones on base: Seraphim Sepia
Armour: Reikland Fleshshade

IMG_3051.JPG

I then add more shading once the previous stages are dry.
Armour: Reikland Fleshshade
Scroll and skull: Reikland Fleshshade
Metallics: Agrax Earthshade 
Cloak: Carroburg Crimson, I use this as a glaze only in the recesses.

IMG_3058.JPG

This is quite a subtle step here, focussing just on the armour I apply a shade of Agrax Earthshade thinned with Lahmian Medium and then Druchii Violet also thinned with Lahmian Medium to the recesses.

IMG_3060.JPG

For the cloak, I have gradually added glazes of thinned Carroburg Crimson into the recesses, then reapplied the Khorne Red and then Wazdaka Red, I will continue to build this up in the next stages.

IMG_3059.JPG

The next stage is to apply the first highlights to a number of areas, as followed:

Loin cloth and plume: Sotek Green
Tassets, sword haft: Wazdaka Red
Scroll and skull: Karak Stone
I then painted the sword part with Vallejo Silver.

IMG_3063.JPG

Next stage I have added second highlights to a number of areas:

Plume and loin cloth: Blended in Temple Guard Blue
Tassets and Sword haft: Squig Orange 
Scroll and skull: Screaming Skull

IMG_3064.JPG

Next stage for the cloak: I have done some more glazes of Carroburg Crimson in the recesses, then highlighted with Squig Orange. I've also used Wazdaka Red to try add some texture to it.

IMG_3069.JPG

This stage was final highlights on a few areas:

Plume and loin cloth: Mix of Temple Guard Blue and White, glaze Gulliman Blue and then White again.
Tassets and sword haft: White edge highlights 
Scroll: White added to sharp edges
Sword: Glaze Gulliman Blue

IMG_3070.JPG

The cloak is nearly finished here. I have built up the Squig Orange highlights, added a further highlight of a mix of Squig Orange and White, then White on the sharp edges. I have also used Bloodletter glaze to richen the red.

80B58C40-1E79-4828-ACCF-1B5B5032F1A8.jpg

Next step was to highlight the shield in the following order: 
Dawnstone
Administratum Grey
Ulthuan Grey
White Scar

5D417BAF-77F6-4365-8186-5213C41E73BA.jpg

The shoulder pad is also the same as the shield.
Dawnstone
Administratum Grey
Ulthuan Grey
White Scar
AA0B4EEA-8F58-4A2A-837A-05BC8E395EB8.jpg

The next stage is to highlight the armour. On the left picture I have highlighted the gold armour with Vallejo Silver, then as in the right picture I highlight sharp edges with white.

F3D273B5-6796-4F17-AE28-DB03CC0BFBFE.jpg

I then apply chips on the sword, shield and shoulder pad using Vallejo Silver and apply this with a sponge.

DDB69E29-2688-4B32-A85F-97D0595D46C0.jpg

The next stage is to apply the battle damage to the armour, this is applied using Vallejo Silver drawing either a line or a circle for a chip. I then apply Rhinox Hide above the silver.53B4BDA2-1A70-44F5-A31F-22BA486B881A.jpg

In the next step I worked more on the cloak. I used a Druchii Violet glaze to create more contrast. I also added scratches and cuts by painting White then painting Rhinox Hide above. I then glazed it all Druchii Violet to tone down the weathering.

B91A1AD6-EF1A-47A1-833F-FF54F1B0E661.jpg

For the basing, I applied some more random washes of Agrax Earthshade, Athonian Camoshade and Seraphim Sepia. I then drybrushed it Terminatus Stone and then Longbeard Grey. I then used some Forgeworld weathering powders; Medium Earth, Dry Mud and Black Soot adding in random areas. I finish off with a final drybrush of Terminatus Stone.

46CA8F85-0924-482D-8924-8AD4BC925F45.jpg

Finally, apply Blood for the Blood God sparingly in random spots.

IMG_3140.JPGIMG_3139.JPG

And the finished model! 

There you go, I hope that was helpful as there is a few different techniques in there. I really enjoyed painting this model! :) 

4 minutes ago, Darth Alec said:

Great tutorial. Sometimes a little daunting how many bazzillion layers there are to the best paint jobs. But it really pays off.

Thank you! I didn't realise just how many steps there were to this, and I consider Stormcast to be very simple to paint! haha :P

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the great tutorial Amy. I've been looking for a good gold technique for a while!

For the gold armour washes do you cover the entire plate with the wash or just the recesses? It looks lovely.

Thinking of doing a primaris army with a gold theme and this might be the technique i use...

Archived