Need help with painting a magmadroth

PowerCreep

I am planning on getting into the hobby in the next few months, so right now i am choosing an army for myself.

From what i heard, fyreslayers very extremely expansive before, but with the new SC set i think they are pretty reasonable (well, GW's sense of reasonable)

I love the models but i am not sure how can I paint the big lizard.

I love the color scheme on GW's website: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Auric-Runesmiter-on-Magmadroth

I think i can get the black effect with a abbadon black, eshin grey drybrush, but as for the fires i am completely lost.

Also please do not suggest a air-brush, I just want to use regular brushes.

Since i am worried about the size of the model, if anyone can give me the measurements of him that would be great.

Thx!

Having painted large lizards before (a magmadroth, two stegadons, a bastilodon, a maw-krusha, and a carnosaur), I'll tell you they're intimidating but are pretty simple to paint.  This is because their scaley hides make dry brushing really simple and looks really good.

As for fire, I usually start with a deep red basecoat following by a black wash. Then dry brush increasingly brighter shades or orange and then yellow towards tips of the flames. Its quick and looks fine from 3 feet away. 

I'm sure other people can give tutorials about painting realistic fire with blue central flames and object source lighting  and all that if you want to be really thorough!

20 hours ago, Kamose said:

Having painted large lizards before (a magmadroth, two stegadons, a bastilodon, a maw-krusha, and a carnosaur), I'll tell you they're intimidating but are pretty simple to paint.  This is because their scaley hides make dry brushing really simple and looks really good.

As for fire, I usually start with a deep red basecoat following by a black wash. Then dry brush increasingly brighter shades or orange and then yellow towards tips of the flames. Its quick and looks fine from 3 feet away. 

I'm sure other people can give tutorials about painting realistic fire with blue central flames and object source lighting  and all that if you want to be really thorough!

Don't want to be rude, but I am completely new to this wargame thing so "red basecoat plus black wash plus dry brush" doesn't mean anything to me. IF you could name those washes and paints that would be much better

S'all good! I mostly use Games Workshop paints so these are all available on their website. Some people prefer other brands but I don't have any experience with those.

1. So for fire, I start with a basecoat of Khorne Red over black primer. The primer I use is spray-on black primer from GW or Army Painter.

2. Then I apply a black wash of Nuln Oil to the Khorne Red. Not too much, but enough to get into the crevices, and tint the red basecoat.

3.  After the wash dries, I dry brush Khorne Red over the fiery parts again. Dry brushing means applying a small amount of paint to the brush and wiping most of the paint off until only a tiny amount remains on the bristles. Then you gently brush over the raised parts of the model. This highlights the raised parts and makes them stand out.

4. Next I dry brush Evil Sunz Scarlet higher up the flames and away from the base of the fire. This brightens up the flames.

5. Next I dry brush on Troll Slayer Orange higher up towards the middle and tops of the flames.

6.Lastly I dry brush some Yriel Yellow followed by Flash Gitz Yellow on the tips of the flames.

This makes a dimmer, reddish kind of fire. I used it for my Fyreslayers because I wanted them to have more of a 'low burning incense in a temple' look to them, not brighter flames.

There are lots of YouTube Tutorials (for Magmadroths even). I'd check some of those out! Hope that helps! ? 

8 minutes ago, Kamose said:

S'all good! I mostly use Games Workshop paints so these are all available on their website. Some people prefer other brands but I don't have any experience with those.

1. So for fire, I start with a basecoat of Khorne Red over black primer. The primer I use is spray-on black primer from GW or Army Painter.

2. Then I apply a black wash of Nuln Oil to the Khorne Red. Not too much, but enough to get into the crevices, and tint the red basecoat.

3.  After the wash dries, I dry brush Khorne Red over the fiery parts again. Dry brushing means applying a small amount of paint to the brush and wiping most of the paint off until only a tiny amount remains on the bristles. Then you gently brush over the raised parts of the model. This highlights the raised parts and makes them stand out.

4. Next I dry brush Evil Sunz Scarlet higher up the flames and away from the base of the fire. This brightens up the flames.

5. Next I dry brush on Troll Slayer Orange higher up towards the middle and tops of the flames.

6.Lastly I dry brush some Yriel Yellow followed by Flash Gitz Yellow on the tips of the flames.

This makes a dimmer, reddish kind of fire. I used it for my Fyreslayers because I wanted them to have more of a 'low burning incense in a temple' look to them, not brighter flames.

There are lots of YouTube Tutorials (for Magmadroths even). I'd check some of those out! Hope that helps! ? 

Thx thats just what I needed.If it is not asking too much can you give me the size of your magmadroth?(from tail to head,from the runesdads throne to base.)

Also what to do for the belly of the magmadroth?

For the red-ish part you can either do as @Kamose said with dark red and then black wash, or start from the darkest color area to the lightest and go building up lighter and lighter colors and then wash all the surface you just painted with a thinned-down wash of you choice (nuln oil or agrax eartshade) (apply 2-3 drops of water to a bit of wash you have pulled out onto you palette and mix) so that the lighter  colors don t get darkened but you still get change in the recesses and crevices. And then yes, full-on dry brush to bring up all the scales' details. Is just a log process but is doable and the effect is very noticeable and enjoyable.

12 minutes ago, PowerCreep said:

Thx thats just what I needed.If it is not asking too much can you give me the size of your magmadroth?(from tail to head,from the runesdads throne to base.)

Also what to do for the belly of the magmadroth?

for the belly what you can do is applying a skin tone on the belly and then wash it with a red wash. and then dry brush with the same skin tone again.

let me know if I have to explain something more.

26 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

For the red-ish part you can either do as @Kamose said with dark red and then black wash, or start from the darkest color area to the lightest and go building up lighter and lighter colors and then wash all the surface you just painted with a thinned-down wash of you choice (nuln oil or agrax eartshade) (apply 2-3 drops of water to a bit of wash you have pulled out onto you palette and mix) so that the lighter  colors don t get darkened but you still get change in the recesses and crevices. And then yes, full-on dry brush to bring up all the scales' details. Is just a log process but is doable and the effect is very noticeable and enjoyable.

for the belly what you can do is applying a skin tone on the belly and then wash it with a red wash. and then dry brush with the same skin tone again.

let me know if I have to explain something more.

So, rakarth flesh plus carrobourg crimson for the belly?

Also cani  do all this with a simple brush instead of an airbrush?

Another idea is the Citadel Paint app if you have a smart phone. I know for my second Magmadroth I want to try an albino color scheme and the the app had paint schemes, list of paints, and techniques that I found helpful. Sadly no Magmadroth tutorial yet! ?

4 hours ago, PowerCreep said:

So, rakarth flesh plus carrobourg crimson for the belly?

yeah and then as @Kamose said, go dry brush again from rakarth flesh to lighter flash tone toward those areas you want lighter. carrobourg crimson might be  little too purple and I understand the range is not that wide so try with that but you can always try and mix shades up (maybe carrobourg crimson and raikland fleshade or fungean orange).  

5 hours ago, PowerCreep said:

Also cani  do all this with a simple brush instead of an airbrush?

OFC you can, it will be longer but just to give you an idea I do not have the possibility to have an airbrush so I have always done everything with spray cans and brushes. Plus is very hard to dry brush with an air brush xD:D. Also if you have spare parts you are not gonna use, what I suggest when you are not sure on something is, give it a go o scrap bits: an arm you are not gonna use (no matter if normally you would paint that arm in another way, is just to see the colors together) or a banner you used to cut a horn off and now you would throw it away, doesn't matter, but try.

Archived