Ogor Butcher model

Anaticula

A quick question. I just got myself a butcher model for my BCR. Now I realize there are actually two models - one with the great cauldron and one without. In the pitched battle profiles there is just one Butcher, and there is only one warscroll for him. Does this mean that I bought the wrong model, or let's say the one with fewer options in game?

I think that the butcher with the cauldron also comes with the two stump blades instead of the meat cleaver. I think the original model with the cauldron was called "Skrag the Slaughterer" if I looked it up correctly :) Both can be bought from the GW homepage and are made out of resin. As for the points they sadly are the same but the difference comes in the size of the base for the two different models.

• Like 1

Hi. I'm new to this forum and still fairly new to AoS but I thought my latest project might be of interest here.
Ogre butcher with cauldron converted using the spare rider from the thundertusk kit.

I did this partly because I'm not too keen on the official butcher model. Surely dragging a cauldron and having no hands hinders a spellcaster?!
Also, the cauldron ogre model costs the same in money as a Frostlord on a stonehorn!

Now I just need to figure out how to get the best out of him in a game...

butcher 1.jpg

butcher 2.jpg

butcher 3.jpg

• Like 6

LOoking good @Mochilero

I’m doing the same! When I finally find the time. Did already order the base though. 

The quick backstory is that the butcher with couldron was thrown into a cave with his hands caught off and his tribe blocked the exit. He jammed same blades into the stumps and had to fight his way through gorgers to get out. He became sort of the king of the gorgers. Led them to massacre the tribe that threw him in and now drags the couldron with him to feed and attracts the gorgers. Besides the obvious practical and magical reasons of course ;) 

when the switch to aos started, this named character had no more place in the game so the added it as an extra option. Also the former backstory is  why the couldron effects gorgers so much in the previous compendium wars roll 

9 minutes ago, sirflukesalot said:

in a quick game with friends for fun sure...BUT in a tourney IT does say reaches into the cauldron. it cant do that if it has no cauldron

That wouldn't be the issue I think, the different base size might though. 

Between friends... Sure no worries but ask your friends not us ;) 

On 28.10.2017 at 10:04 PM, Mochilero said:

Hi. I'm new to this forum and still fairly new to AoS but I thought my latest project might be of interest here.
Ogre butcher with cauldron converted using the spare rider from the thundertusk kit.

I did this partly because I'm not too keen on the official butcher model. Surely dragging a cauldron and having no hands hinders a spellcaster?!
Also, the cauldron ogre model costs the same in money as a Frostlord on a stonehorn!

Now I just need to figure out how to get the best out of him in a game...

butcher 1.jpg

What did you use to build that cauldron

15 hours ago, Mournfang's mourning said:

Would such conversions be legal at an officail GW tournament? I'm not really familiar to the conversion rules :)

Should be as it clearly represents the warscroll.  The line tends to be when you use parts from other miniature companies - so you couldn't use parts from an Avatars of War model for example.

Yeah , I use a monster oval base for my butcher, because the butcher with cauldron miniature would oly fit on this kind of base anyway.

Every time I convert a model, the only rule I will always follow is to keep the same base size, to avoid any confrontation with your opponent

2 hours ago, Chipatola said:

Yeah , I use a monster oval base for my butcher, because the butcher with cauldron miniature would oly fit on this kind of base anyway.

Every time I convert a model, the only rule I will always follow is to keep the same base size, to avoid any confrontation with your opponent

Which base size is it then?

5 hours ago, Chipatola said:

Thundertusk/Stonehorn Base

Are you sure? The original model of the butcher with the cauldron comes with the 100x50mm square base. The 105x70mm base seems more logic to me than the 120x92mm base of the Stonehorn/Thundertusk.

Is there an official document with square to round/oval base sizes conversions for these old models?

Edited by Mournfang's mourning

70mm x 105mm is the proper round base size that is the closest to the square base it comes with.

I found the conversion charts here: http://havoc.holywarsgt.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Warhammer-base-size-chart-V1.pdf Which, while not exactly official, make the most sense as it's just the closest sizes tbh.

It's what I used for my butcher conversions!

5a0218e8d02a7_getoverhere.png.f7c5aa1e8214440d360633938fa46b82.png

20171030_011933.jpg.c3b12314dc7ee6c2e5d8598fb449225c.jpg

Edited by heywoah_twitch
  • Like 1

Butcher (or Slaughtermaster in Fantasy Battle) with the cauldron is actually Skrag the Slaughterer, the special character who was killed by Grimgor Ironhide during the End Times.

Skrag the Slaughterer was playable in the Age of Sigmar and he loved his Gorgers until General Handbook 2017 came then his name was removed and replaced to Butcher and there was already Butcher with his own warscroll. So now you're getting two options to use Butcher without or with cauldron if you go for bonus, cost same... I guess that only affected the base size, with cauldron has oval and is bigger than the Buthcer without cauldron but that doesn't matter much..

I've uploaded the old warscroll of Skrag if you're interested to see.

I also've made a simple cauldron by greenstuff to my Butcher model, that might seems a bit ugly but it works fine ;) I used him to the tournament and got feedbacks 'Is that your blood' 'Is that a soup?' O.o

Sorry about my grammar but hope you still understand me!

received_1984962148213026.jpeg.8ecd2877a24649789e4a2c82746531da.jpeg5a02cd740a918_skragtheslaughterer.png.7526d4fde96bc8d7df3ee19ef27a3e55.png

Edited by Overtyrant of Destruction
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I haven't tried this out, but you could probably just cut a ping pong ball in half and add some broth (real or fake) and some green stuff metal plates randomly (or alternatively put them in a specific BCR symbol)