customize your shadespire

tea_wild_owl

9 hours ago, Goblin-King said:

Those of you using 3D terrain...
While it looks amazing, how is it to actually play with it?
I'm thinking, does it block your actual line of sight, accidentally hiding a mini or making you loose your overview? 

I've had no issues loosing minis behind it but I see what you mean. I have, however, moved through or ended in the blocked tiles, not realizing they were blocked. I think it boils down to what you and your opponent prefer. I'd probably not bring them out during a tournament unless my opponent really wanted them.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Dawk said:

Thundercake hit the nail on the head...Kairic bodies, Marauder helmets and Stormcasr swords weapons/shields. My local group is fine with conversions but I have the originals in case my opponent would rather me use those.

the stone was base coated with Rakarth, then Aggrax wash, then Karak, Deneb, ushabti, screaming skull, pallid Wycherley, then white.  All dry brushed, lighter applications as I went. Hope that helps....

Thanks!! And what about the rock on the floor/base ? not the walls tho, thanks for the recipe!

13 hours ago, Dawk said:

I've had no issues loosing minis behind it but I see what you mean. I have, however, moved through or ended in the blocked tiles, not realizing they were blocked. I think it boils down to what you and your opponent prefer. I'd probably not bring them out during a tournament unless my opponent really wanted them.

This is where I admit to never having played the game :$.

My son and I just mess around on the board while he gets the idea of board games (counting hexes and dice against the cards and so on). He did have a mishap with the Gardens of Morr statue at the weekend so I can see it being less practical if you are going for the speed the game is designed for.

I haven't had any problem with actual, player line of sight issues, but I use that Mage Knight Artifact stuff I posted a few pages back. It's all fairly low, so nothing tall blocking a player's vision.

The stuff I use doesn't look half as good as the custom jobs you guys are doing. Pre-built/painted stuff rarely does. The only thing stopping me from going the scratch built route is having to store it. With my other GW minis games requiring careful storage of painted models and terrain, I like that (for me) Shadespire is very much a simple AoS board game., all-in-one box that I can throw down or pack up in the base box any time with no concern for broken or chipped bits.

Keep the awesome work coming though folks. Looks Fantastic!

On 2017-11-28 at 4:51 AM, Wallack said:

Thanks!! And what about the rock on the floor/base ? not the walls tho, thanks for the recipe!

Sorry Wallack, haven't checked in in a while....It's primed black and drybrushed dark grey( mechanicus plus black) then mechanicus then codex grey ( might be the old name) then Ulthuan grey. Somewhere in there was a thin wash of Nuln Oil with a bit of Agrax mixed in. Hope that helps....

9 hours ago, tanczacy said:

I made hexes in 3D, printed on Zortrax M200 and Original Prusa I3 MK2, layer 0.1 mm, PLA and ABS.

heks 1.jpg

heks 2.jpg

Sticking bits of resin and plastic to  wood is so 2016...

Looks great! How much does that cost with energy use and materials?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2017 at 6:11 AM, Dawk said:

And my warband. I wanted a more gladiatorial vibe. I plan on expanding into Skirmish and Path to Glory. For now, they are stand-ins for my Reavers.  I could probably sub them in for Orruks as well. I can't wait for somebody to figure out the custom card thing....

What a fantastic idea, I love the idea of Path to Glory and never before linked that these warbands would be a perfect starting point, I doth my cap to you sir! I also love the gladiator idea, suits the minis you chose 

I've not been on this site for long but I have to say I'm blown away by the creativity of everyone on here and the general friendly vibe in every corner of the site.

@TwiceIfILikeIt the painting turned out fantastic, looks like it seamlessly fits into the board

I can't wait to do some of this. I have a ton of Heroscape sets! My son was huge into it and we have literally every game expansion, gonna have to steal some stuff.

I just got the game last night. How do you determine where to put scenery? Are there tiles on the board that you are not able to move across?

More Shadespire blocked-hex scenery from Heroscape bases. This was for a friend  who wanted some scenery with a death vibe for use with his Guard warband.

FA3BB583-E1FF-4EC8-8056-725589A49C3C.jpegI apologize for the lack of focus. My photo skills need work...

On 12/26/2017 at 6:26 PM, Dawk said:

More Shadespire blocked-hex scenery from Heroscape bases. This was for a friend  who wanted some scenery with a death vibe for use with his Guard warband.

FA3BB583-E1FF-4EC8-8056-725589A49C3C.jpegI apologize for the lack of focus. My photo skills need work...

Very cool.

I hadn't thought to customize the terrain to match a warband. Great idea!

What are you using as rubble/blocks on top of the heroscape tiles? Plasticard of various thickness?

On 1/4/2018 at 3:16 PM, Mr. White said:

Very cool.

I hadn't thought to customize the terrain to match a warband. Great idea!

What are you using as rubble/blocks on top of the heroscape tiles? Plasticard of various thickness?

The thicker "tiles" likely came from the Ruins of Osgiliath terrain kit. To that was added some "tiles" from old movement trays and various bits off sprues. Plasticard would work great as well. Some areas were left bare and sand/drybrushing was added to those spaces. Hope that helps.

Archived