How will you sleeve?

Attackmack

Hi all, I was after a little info, my box isn’t arriving until Saturday and I wanted to know in advance.

The core box contains double of the generic cards, so could be sleeved in two sets with non-GW sleeves as the GW sleeves don’t contain enough for all the cards. I assume you would swap out what you don’t use if using the GW sleeves?

When I first saw this I liked the idea of different colours for each new faction, but from unboxing videos it seems the skeletons for example don’t come with the core cards. Therefore if I had set of skeleton coloured sleeves, or the GW skeleton sleeves I would need to be swapping out again to use them? Otherwise it would be obvious which were skeleton specific and which were generic cards? Also if you wanted to use the generic cards from the skeletons with the orcs you would need to move them to GW orc sleeves or whatever you had sleeved your orcs in as you would only have one of these cards.

Apologies if I am missing the point but this is my first foray into card building games. It seems if you buy the GW sleeves you would spend a lot of time swapping cards between specific faction sleeves. I hope the questions make sense!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it makes sense. Sleeves are not restricted per faction if you don't want to. You could buy all khorne sleeves and use them for various warbands. But if you specifically want to have each warband with their sleeves, yeah eventually you will be doing plenty of swapping as more and more warbands gets added to the game.

The best way to avoid this is by using the same sleeves for everything (except character cards)

That's why i am going to red mattes from dragonshield for all my cards (except one sky blue matte box for stormcasts from the core), because i don't like to unsleeve/sleeve and i will be playing khorne based warbands mostly.

I am organized enough for the time being, i always count the cards after i finish a game (it's an automatism i have from magic and sideboarding). But yeah it's a fair point, different sleeves for objectives and power cards seems reasonable and probably i will end up doing it anyways.

Aah right!

I have a good stack of black matte sleeves that never got used for Star wars Destiny so ill be using them for powercards.

I have a pack of white matte I picked up the other day for objective cards but soon after purchase I started thinking that white might not be the best color for something that will be handled as much as cards, my dirty fingers will make the sleeves disgusting in no time :o

So Ill probably settle on another color. But I will do all power cards the same and all objectives the same no matter the faction, dont wanna have to swap sleeves to change between decks!

Just for fun I might even get a binder :)

I get the feeling that cards and sleeves is a brave new world for many used to GW products.

with the matte sleeves, does the front carry the colour of the back? I have read they are slightly more opaque than the glossy, but is it just a clear frosty effect? 

Are the mattes worth the extra? I am the most casual of casual players but will pay for products worth it to make something that looks good look even better.

22 minutes ago, Sim said:

I get the feeling that cards and sleeves is a brave new world for many used to GW products.

with the matte sleeves, does the front carry the colour of the back? I have read they are slightly more opaque than the glossy, but is it just a clear frosty effect? 

Are the mattes worth the extra? I am the most casual of casual players but will pay for products worth it to make something that looks good look even better.

Ill leave it for those who has enough experience to comment but as a newbie to this world I will say that the mattes feel amazing and when theyve settled the shuffling is soo smooth! Definitely worth the extra and for Shadespire you wont need so many of them anyway so let it cost a bit more :D 

5 hours ago, Attackmack said:

I have a pack of white matte I picked up the other day for objective cards but soon after purchase I started thinking that white might not be the best color for something that will be handled as much as cards, my dirty fingers will make the sleeves disgusting in no time

White sleeves are the best, just because you can't see the grime as much (you still see it, even on black) doesn't mean it's not there.

The grime makes shuffling harder and will stick cards together.

When you see the grime that's when you need to resleeve

On 24/10/2017 at 9:58 PM, Wraith01 said:

I'm sleeving mines in the 100 for $1 Ultra Pro Card Sleeves.

It's good enough and cheap.

Snap!  I was rummaging in my hobby cupboard yesterday evening and found pretty much a brand new box of 100 from when I used to play HHCCG :D  It'll give me an extra bit of protection until I decide if I want to get something different

3 minutes ago, Dave Fraser said:

sleeves, protection... nah, just mash up those cards so you have an excuse to buy a second starter set.  At which point you can paint the models to be the inspired/uninspired options of each other and swap out when they flip!

I can't paint models uninspired ;) 

8 minutes ago, Dave Fraser said:

sleeves, protection... nah, just mash up those cards so you have an excuse to buy a second starter set.  At which point you can paint the models to be the inspired/uninspired options of each other and swap out when they flip!

Damn that's actually a darn good idea... I could do my khornates "clean", and then have another set covered in blood for when they get inspired...

With it being a tournament game, sleeves are obviously a must.

However, the issue I could see is that if the cards wear (because the official sleeves are really short) getting replacement cards will be rather difficult. (Unless you’re getting a whole new box.)

And the wear will end up classifying the cards as marked in a tournament setting. (Or at least do in any kind of typical competitive game).

:|

I'm totally new to card based games and never addicted myself to MTG. Can somebody explain why you need them, what is meant by shuffling them in a sleeve, why quality matters so much, and why rubber bands won't work? Sorry for the obviously dumb questions.

2 hours ago, MacDuff said:

I'm totally new to card based games and never addicted myself to MTG. Can somebody explain why you need them, what is meant by shuffling them in a sleeve, why quality matters so much, and why rubber bands won't work? Sorry for the obviously dumb questions.

Damaging cards is a form of card marking, thats currently the reason why I sleeve them.

In addition some of these cards come slightly damaged or discoulored out of the box so you can see which is which.

It matters because you give away and obtain information before playing the card.

What killax said is the most important reason why people should sleeve in non full transparent sleeves. Mostly because the print quality isn't good enough.

Quality only matters if you are planning on playing the game a lot, since cheap sleeves have a tendency to break apart (specially if you are not aware on how to shuffle with sleeves).

How shuffling feels is less important objectively speaking, but it's very important to me. I really hate when the sleeves stick to each other or the borders get damaged, making the shuffling less smooth.

Yeah and I don't think GW is able or will be able to produce cards to the highest quality possible like with Wizards of the Coast any time soon either. While Warhammer Underworlds has cards it isn't exclusively a cardgame so typically speaking I don't think most customers care enough to really make an issue of it, they just sleeve the cards and re-sleeve them when sleeves rip (this also happens).

For games at home it's really up to anyone to sleeve cards or not but another reason to do it and maby even prefer non-GW sleeves is that during gaming it's possible to drop cards and without sleeves almost impossible to know who's deck that card belongs to. Especially if you don't instantly notice the drop. A deck of 14 cards looks a lot like deck with 13 cards ;) 

What I also hope and expect is that future tournament rules will enforce (smaller) prizes for painting, this is another thing that's very benificial in tournament play because if you end up with the mirror playing the exact same models with the exact same colours, sleeves and tokens things just get confusing really quick. The game itself is quite tactical and luckily punishes cheating but if you assumed your opponents model is yours because they look identical I don't think a judge has an easy call for it...

So the tips I'd give for any upcomming Warhammer Underworlds player:
1. Paint your models, doesn't even have to be glorious, a simple 3-4 colours is sufficient.
2. Sleeve your cards, give a different sleeve to Power cards as Objective cards.
3. Use your own tokens and dice for your models and idealy have your opponent do the same. Otherwise just use one player's tokens for a complete game altogether.

I also believe that sooner or later we will go to rolling 5 attack dice for seeing who decides going first. The re-rolls to decide this thake up unneeded ammount of times really. 

I ended up going for some Mayday Games 125% thicker clear premium sleeves. No idea if that'll turn out to be a mistake. I can always replace them later on down the line I suppose.

Once sleeved how are you storing them? They are rather slippery (or mine are at least). Elastic band? Boxes? Bags?

15 minutes ago, Paul Chapman said:

Once sleeved how are you storing them? They are rather slippery (or mine are at least). Elastic band? Boxes? Bags?

Matte sleeves seem to slide less. I am storing mine in the dragon shield boxes, they perfectly fit a warbands unique cards and a set of the core cards (the skeletons is a squeeze the first time).

Just an observation, as mentioned above I am double sleeveing due to ocd. The ironskullz cards, and I have two sets which were both the same, are fractionally wider than the core and sepulchral cards. This left a visible crease in the kmc perfect size (which mostly settled over night while stored) but it is interesting to see a variation already amongst the cards avaliable.

i have no frame of reference, is that expected in something like MTG?

Archived