Shadespire community FAQ

zabbraxas

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

This may seem like a weird one, but it's more complicated than it seems on the surface:

When does an Attack action end?

The attack action ends after you are given the opportunity to drive back your opponent, provided your opponent didn't roll more crits than you did.

The second page of the official FAQ says:

Q: When a fighter is driven back, is that part of the Attack

action, or is it a new action?

A: When a fighter is driven back by an Attack action,

that happens within that Attack action (the Attack

action is not over until after the fighter has been

driven back).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sleboda said:

This may seem like a weird one, but it's more complicated than it seems on the surface:

When does an Attack action end?

Likewise an Activation, which isn’t necessarily the same time.

One of the FAQ: 

Q: When a  fighter makes an action as part of an activation, and the end of that action is the end of the activation (e.g. if the  fighter simply makes a Move action), could the players play both a Reaction that is triggered after an action and a Reaction that is triggered after an activation?
A: No. The action and the activation end simultaneously, so only one Reaction can be played. That Reaction could be triggered either by the action or the activation.

but that’s not very helpful as it’s specifically referring to situations where the end of the action is also the end of the activation, which is frustratingly short of being a definitive statement that the two always end at the same time. 

Biggest thing they could do to help this game IMO is a proper time/order of resolution chart - the one in the rule book isn’t detailed enough to handle the different scenarios arising.

Edited by Rintrah56

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Possibly. Source?

It was a question answered in the FAQ on page 2

Q: When a fighter is driven back, is that part of the Attack action, or is it a new action?

A: When a fighter is driven back by an Attack action, that happens within that Attack action (the Attack action is not over until after the fighter has been driven back).

Thank you.

So, that being the case, is it fair to say that a player (not fighter) must reach the point of having the option to drive back/not have the option to drive back to end the Attack action?

In other words, up until decision (or lack of decision) time, the Attack action is still 'happening' right?

28 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Thank you.

So, that being the case, is it fair to say that a player (not fighter) must reach the point of having the option to drive back/not have the option to drive back to end the Attack action?

In other words, up until decision (or lack of decision) time, the Attack action is still 'happening' right?

That's how my group has been playing it.

Continuing on ...

If we understand that the Attack is not over until decision time, it follows that we need to know what the results of the Attack and Defense dice rolls are prior to deciding. Yes?

So until those rolls are finalized,  we cannot compare them/make a decision.

That Means Gurzag's reroll option keeps the Attack action from ending until Gurzag's player says he will reroll or will not reroll.

If Gurzag's reroll is an option until the Attack action is over,  then it's very nature (keeping the dice rolls unknown or in a state of hold) itself allows Gurzag's player to keep the action active, and thus he can reroll after seeing the defense total.

I hate it, but I think this is true. Help, GW, close this time loop!

18 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Continuing on ...

If we understand that the Attack is not over until decision time, it follows that we need to know what the results of the Attack and Defense dice rolls are prior to deciding. Yes?

So until those rolls are finalized,  we cannot compare them/make a decision.

That Means Gurzag's reroll option keeps the Attack action from ending until Gurzag's player says he will reroll or will not reroll.

If Gurzag's reroll is an option until the Attack action is over,  then it's very nature (keeping the dice rolls unknown or in a state of hold) itself allows Gurzag's player to keep the action active, and thus he can reroll after seeing the defense total.

I hate it, but I think this is true. Help, GW, close this time loop!

Well, the defense dice and attack dice are rolled at the same time. Then the players compare the number of successes, then inspired Gurzag would get to reroll one of his attack dice.

2 hours ago, ReynakZhen said:

Well, the defense dice and attack dice are rolled at the same time.

Oh man, if that were true then the debate would be settled, but it's not.

There is no indication that they are rolled at the same time, but there is at least the implication that the defense dice are, indeed, rolled after the attack dice.

We have (in all three of my games so far, woo) been assuming that as the attacker rolls first, if they roll nothing actionable there is not necessarily a need for the defender to roll, and so for instance Stormcast cannot become inspired because hey, there's nothing to block. Am I doing it wrong?

The combat sequence is:

1. Choose a target within range

2. Attacker rolls attack dice

3. Defender rolls defense dice

4. Compare successes

As discussed earlier, I think there's some vagueness as far as when re-rolls take place, but to me that's pretty clear that both the attacker and defender roll, in that order.  Doesn't matter if the attacker rolls all misses, the defender rolls after.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

We have (in all three of my games so far, woo) been assuming that as the attacker rolls first, if they roll nothing actionable there is not necessarily a need for the defender to roll, and so for instance Stormcast cannot become inspired because hey, there's nothing to block. Am I doing it wrong?

Yes.

Steelheart's merry band are the biggest example of why you do indeed roll.

If it helps, think of it this way -

Dudes start swinging their big nasty blades toward you,  the Stormcast.  You don't stand motionless to see if you get hit before attempting to defend.  You raise your shield, duck, or whatever other cowardly thing you do to avoid the owie.  The act of doing so maybe gets your head in the game, inspiring you, even if the foe misses.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, moriquendi said:

404_ENG.png(or simular cards)

"You can instead push" ... This means I can dicide not to push my fighter. If I do so, is my opponent allowed to drive the fighter back? Or is he just staying on bis hex?

No, it's basically allowing you to dictate what hex your fighter gets driven back to.

But, since it counts as a push, you can still remain adjacent to your enemy. Which is awesome.

Edited by ReynakZhen

Since the rulebook specifies that attack actions that target multiple foes are handled by treating each attack as its own action, it comes down to the card.  If the card says something like "the first attack" does a thing,  then only the harvester's first target would interact with the rule. If it says something like "when you attack" then it applies to all targets.

• Like 1

On 14.2.2018 at 3:25 PM, Requizen said:

Skitter-Scurry: since a Charge Action is a Move followed by an Attack, can you push one hex after each? Like Move -> Push 1 -> Attack -> Push 1 away? 

I would like to have that clarified, too.

In addition, when equipped with"Sneaky Stab-stab", does the fighter have to be in range for an attack when declaring the attack? Or can Skritch declare an attack from 3 hexes away, push, attack, push, when equipped with both upgrades?

From the FAQ regarding Swift Strike, I would say yes. But the push from Swift Strike is a reaction, so the ruling might be different.

On 16/2/2018 at 7:01 PM, Requizen said:

Does Expendable grant a Glory Point? You remove the Fighter before your opponent deals damage, so it does not meet the requirement for gaining Glory per the FAQ. Do you simply remove them and deal damage without any gain for your opponent?

I think in 1vs1, the opponent gains a glory for each fighter taken out of action even if he did not "killed" it.

FAQ page 4:

Q: Who gains a glory point if a fighter is taken out of action as

a result of Shattering Terrain?

A: In a two-player game, when a player’s fighter is taken

out of action their opponent gains a glory point. In a

three- or four-player game, if you play Shattering Terrain

and the damage it deals takes an enemy fighter out of

action, you gain a glory point; if it takes one of your own

fighters out of action, no one gains a glory point.

Expendable says "remove them from the battlefield",  I guess it means "take him out of action". Otherwise, where would be the model? He won't count for Reavers inspiration mechanism and, moreover, Skritch would not be able not resurrect him ("Place a friendly fighter that was taken out of action").

Rules questions came up for two cards in games tonight.

Flee

1) Though it may seem intuitive, it's not a rule, so here goes - What is "further away" in this context? It says both Fighters make a Move action and must end their move further away from all enemy fighters.

Does that mean as the crow flies? Does it mean "less able to be attacked by whatever cards could be used?" Does it mean more open path hexes? What does this undefined term mean?

2) If it means more traversable hexes, then does the first one to Move get to count the "blocking" of the second one that has not yet moved? If so, then when the second fighter Moves, it could change the distance for the first one.

It's really not well defined.

Last Chance

The rule book Glossary defines a failed attack as one that does no damage. If I have a card that allows me to re-attack if my first attack failed, does Last Chance trigger a failed attack or, because of the wording ("... ignore the damage from that Attack action ..."), is the Attack successful (it did the damage) but the damage is then not applied? 

On 20.2.2018 at 5:52 AM, Sleboda said:

does Last Chance trigger a failed attack or, because of the wording ("... ignore the damage from that Attack action ..."), is the Attack successful (it did the damage) but the damage is then not applied?

The latter. The attack action is successful but the damage is not applied.

On 19.02.2018 at 9:54 AM, Hesa_First said:

I would like to have that clarified, too.

In addition, when equipped with"Sneaky Stab-stab", does the fighter have to be in range for an attack when declaring the attack? Or can Skritch declare an attack from 3 hexes away, push, attack, push, when equipped with both upgrades?

From the FAQ regarding Swift Strike, I would say yes. But the push from Swift Strike is a reaction, so the ruling might be different.

Page 20 in Rulebook:

Steps in combat:

"1. Choose an Attack action. You can only choose one Attack action.

2. Choose a target, which must be within the Attack action's Range characteristic. Note that if there is no target within range and line of sight, you cannot make an Attack action. You cannot target a friendly fighter.

..."

Sneaky stab-stab: "You can push this fighter one hex before they take an Attack action..."

So, Sneaky stab-stab actually have place before you do Attack action. In my opinion, you do it before any step in Attack action, but if you use it you need to do legal Attack action after it. For transparency Im using it in that way:

1. I declare that i will use Attack action (you can say its step 1 in combat).

2. I do Sneaky stab-stab action - pushing my fighter.

3. I choose target that need to be legal for my Attack action (within range of my Attack action) from new position of my fighter. 

To be exacly right, i should swap 1 and 2, but it's easy that way and it shouldn't matter.

Edited by Reggi