Shadespire community FAQ

zabbraxas

3 hours ago, Lenwe Seregon said:

hi all

question on "gather the storm"

does the "this effect persists" mean the card remains in play indefinitely or is it discarded after the first spell?

I've seen it used both ways.

cheers!

According to the glossary, persistent cards remain in play until the card instructs you to remove them or another card or effect removes them, so it should stay in play unless a FAQ comes along to tell us otherwise. 

11 hours ago, Tutenkharnage said:

According to the glossary, persistent cards remain in play until the card instructs you to remove them or another card or effect removes them, so it should stay in play unless a FAQ comes along to tell us otherwise. 

If that's the case, that's nearly a must take for Cursebreakers as its a guaranteed success for Rastus & Amnis, and provide solidarity for most 2 Channel spells for Averon.

Hi all,

I have a question on the Sepulchral Warden’s movement ability:

The ability specifically prevents a fighter from moving twice in a phase. It does not say ‘more than once’. So rules as written, if another fighter has charged twice via a normal charge action then by the use of a ploy,  can the Warden’s ability be used to move that fighter? The fighter is moving for a third time so the Warden’s text does not prevent it and as using the Warden’s action is not an activation of a fighter the fact that the fighter has charged does not prevent it.

I can see that the intention was to prevent fighters making more than one move but RAW it would appear not to do so in weird edge cases such as this!

28 minutes ago, Ksym77 said:

Hi all,

I have a question on the Sepulchral Warden’s movement ability:

The ability specifically prevents a fighter from moving twice in a phase. It does not say ‘more than once’. So rules as written, if another fighter has charged twice via a normal charge action then by the use of a ploy,  can the Warden’s ability be used to move that fighter? The fighter is moving for a third time so the Warden’s text does not prevent it and as using the Warden’s action is not an activation of a fighter the fact that the fighter has charged does not prevent it.

I can see that the intention was to prevent fighters making more than one move but RAW it would appear not to do so in weird edge cases such as this!

Get your point, but I think in this case assume "more than once" to prevent loss of teeth - definitely errata worthy as it also affects Ancient Commander.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:50 AM, Lenwe Seregon said:

hi all

question on "gather the storm"

does the "this effect persists" mean the card remains in play indefinitely or is it discarded after the first spell?

I've seen it used both ways.

cheers!

No its discarded after the spell. This is how persist works -- persist until triggered.

The wording on the card is congruent with that -

Innate (Channel) for the next spell your warband attempts to cast. This effect persists

25 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

Reposting it here in the FAQ section... How exactly does Exreme flank work?
I think I need picture examples of Extreme flank with different board set ups because I can't quite wrap my head around it, especially the last parts of it. :P

It's not that hard, but they had to cover the wording.

If the boards are set up flush to form a square, nice and easy. Opposite is facing is opposite.

Now, imagine the boards have been set up so the join runs from left to right as you look at it.

The board closest to you is moved half a board to the right, to create that annoying Tetris 'S' block.

If you have a mini on the left hand edge hexes of *your* board as close to the join as you can get it, technically it has *two* opposites - the right hand side of *your* board, or the right hand side (as you look at it) of your opponent's board.

That's why the card specifies furthest.

• Thanks 1

Hi people! I have seen someone asked a similar question but it is still not clear to me. Is it allowed to play, in your opponent's power phase, Shattered terrain (fighters that move, or are pushed in the next activation suffer 1 DMG) and equip Trickster charm (you can play a single ploy card at the beginning of each action phase), followed by Earthquake in your activation phase to deal 1 DMG to everyone? One TGA user mentioned that Trickster charm acts as a mini power phase before the activation, but nor the cards neither the rulebook mentions anything like that. Thanks!

35 minutes ago, RafaBO said:

Hi people! I have seen someone asked a similar question but it is still not clear to me. Is it allowed to play, in your opponent's power phase, Shattered terrain (fighters that move, or are pushed in the next activation suffer 1 DMG) and equip Trickster charm (you can play a single ploy card at the beginning of each action phase), followed by Earthquake in your activation phase to deal 1 DMG to everyone? One TGA user mentioned that Trickster charm acts as a mini power phase before the activation, but nor the cards neither the rulebook mentions anything like that. Thanks!

The action phase consists of activations and power steps.

Whilst you can play all 3 cards, two things to bear in mind;

Trickster charm is once per action phase (effectively the start of the "turn"), not before each activation.

Shattered terrain only affects movement in the next activation - as the trickster charm/Earthquake comes in to effect before activations, the above combo wouldn't work.

• Thanks 1

Question about the Briar Thorns ploy card “Sudden Appearance” which says:

Choose a friendly fighter and place them on any starting hex.

I’m comparing it with “Illusionary Fighter” - choose one of your fighters on the battlefield - and the Sepulchral Guard’s “Restless Dead” - Place a friendly fighter that was taken out of action.

Does “Sudden Appearance” mean you can pick any fighter even one previously taken out or is it just those in the battlefield?

3 hours ago, stickybluetoffee said:

Question about the Briar Thorns ploy card “Sudden Appearance” which says:

Choose a friendly fighter and place them on any starting hex.

I’m comparing it with “Illusionary Fighter” - choose one of your fighters on the battlefield - and the Sepulchral Guard’s “Restless Dead” - Place a friendly fighter that was taken out of action.

Does “Sudden Appearance” mean you can pick any fighter even one previously taken out or is it just those in the battlefield?

In the new FAQ - no.

Question on Catching Up - do you score all "End Phase" cards simultaneously? 

What happens if you go into the End Phase behind but score some Objectives in the End Phase, are you behind for the purposes of Catching Up at the start of the End Phase?

And vice versa, if you go into the End Phase ahead, but finish up behind due to your opponent scoring some cards - can you score Catching Up at the end of the End Phase?

I'm just not sure at what precise moment in time you measure whether you are behind or not.

My gut feel is that it's a snapshot of where you stand at the start of the End Phase (because all "In the End Phase" cards are then scored simultaneously after that), but I'm not 100% certain.

Edited by PlasticCraic

6 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Question on Catching Up - do you score all "End Phase" cards simultaneously? 

What happens if you go into the End Phase behind but score some Objectives in the End Phase, are you behind for the purposes of Catching Up at the start of the End Phase?

And vice versa, if you go into the End Phase ahead, but finish up behind due to your opponent scoring some cards - can you score Catching Up at the end of the End Phase?

I'm just not sure at what precise moment in time you measure whether you are behind or not.

My gut feel is that it's a snapshot of where you stand at the start of the End Phase (because all "In the End Phase" cards are then scored simultaneously after that), but I'm not 100% certain.

I'd go with your gut - objectives are scored simultaneously in the end phase, so effectively it's your glory score at the end of the last activation. Otherwise you could get in a weird situation where you and your opponent are effectively scoring objectives in an order.

• Like 1

Rather than go with your gut, I suggest you go with the rulebook ?

The player who took the first activation of the round scores objectives first. If that player is you and you are losing at the end of the action phase, you can play Catching Up first. If that player is your opponent and you are leading at the end of the action phase, you can play Catching Up if your opponent takes the lead but can’t play it otherwise. 

I don’t have my rulebook handy, but if you give it a quick skim, you’ll find the end-phase sequence of play. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1