Shadespire community FAQ

zabbraxas

Does a model recieves damage if it only could be driven back to the edge of the board as part of an attack action? It seems quiet locigal for me, but I couldn't find a passage in the rules which says so or clarifies the edge as occupied  or blocked hexes.

‎On the contrary the following part of the FAQ (1.2 p2) suggests that the edge counts NOT as blocked hexes.

Q: Does the edge of the battlefield block line of sight?
A: No. Line of sight is blocked by blocked hexes, but not  
by the edge of the battlefield. However, when counting  
hexes to see if an Attack action is in range, you can only  
count complete hexes.

Note: I'm using german rules so there could be some problems caused by the translation ... or my english ;)

Page 21
– Out of action
Replace the first paragraph with the following:
‘Once a fighter has sustained damage equal to or greater
than their Wounds characteristic (shown by wound
tokens on their card), they are taken out of action.
Remove them and their tokens from the battlefield
and clear all tokens from their fighter card. The other
player gains one glory point (pg 30) – they take a glory
point token.’

Does it mean that a resurrected fighter that has already charged in the current round gets to activate again? Since all the tokens are clared (not just the wound tokens)?
Edited by themiro

2 hours ago, Goblin-King said:

- Remove them and their tokens from the battlefield (move/charge token included)
- Clear all tokens from their FIGHTER CARD (wound tokens)

So no, it's very clear cut. Movement/charge and even guard tokens stay while out of action.

But it verbatim says remove ALL tokens from their fighter card, which would mean wound + charge/move/guard tokens, since there are no other tokens? (if they wanted to specify wounds only, they would have said wound tokens?)

Also, that was actually the wording in the rulebook pre FAQ:

Once a fighter has sustained damage equal to or greater than their Wounds characteristics (shown by wound tokens on their card), they are taken out of action. Remove them and their tokens from the battlefield. The other player gains one glory point - they take a glory point.

So the main difference introduced by the FAQ is: and clear all tokens from their fighter card.

It looks like either way all the tokens, status or wounds, have to be cleared, whether they are placed on the board or on the card.

If I cannot charge again after losing a man, clear all his tokens, and resurrect him again, what's the point of clearing all the tokens? Am I supposed to remember that the guy charged without having a token there to remind me? Seems overly complicated for no actual value to me.

And this new errata seems to go against an older one:

Q: When a fighter moves (or charges, or is put on Guard),
is taken out of action, and returned to the battlefield in the
same Action phase, are they still considered to have moved (or
charged, or been put on Guard)?
A: Yes.

So I have to remove the model and their token, as well as all the wound tokens, and somehow they still can't charge if they charged already, which means I have to keep the information in my head? O_o

1 hour ago, themiro said:

So the main difference introduced by the FAQ is: and clear all tokens from their fighter card.

I don't have a rulebook at hand so I can't quote exact ruling for this, but you hold move/charge tokens on the battlefield. When FAQ says you clear all tokens from a fighter card, it means just that. Battlefield tokens are removed with  a model they belong to. But they are not cleared: they are still attached to the model and are brought back to battlefield with the model if it gets ressurected.

exactly - I was trying to think of a clear way to say it, but you nailed it on the head.  At the end of the day the tokens on the battlefield are just reminders of the action they took... if you are afraid you will not remember if that fighter moved/charged that round, keep the token with the removed figure - so if returned, it is returned with the move/charge/guard token, reminding both players what action it took that round , if any (on full wounds, and with all upgrades :)

As you can only place wound tokens on a fighters card... it is a wonder why they just didn't say "remove all wound tokens"..... unless, it is to account for some future release that introduces new tokens that can be placed onto a fighters card !!  one can only wonder...

Move/charge/guard tokens are placed on the board, not the fighter card. So remove all tokens from your fighter card does indeed just mean "remove all wound tokens".

When I get a fighter taken out of action who has done one of the above actions, I remove all wound tokens from the card and instead place the model and any move/charge/guard tokens attached to it there as a reminder.

On 16.1.2018 at 1:30 AM, moriquendi said:

Does a model recieves damage if it only could be driven back to the edge of the board as part of an attack action? It seems quiet locigal for me, but I couldn't find a passage in the rules which says so or clarifies the edge as occupied  or blocked hexes.

‎On the contrary the following part of the FAQ (1.2 p2) suggests that the edge counts NOT as blocked hexes.

Q: Does the edge of the battlefield block line of sight?
A: No. Line of sight is blocked by blocked hexes, but not  
by the edge of the battlefield. However, when counting  
hexes to see if an Attack action is in range, you can only  
count complete hexes.

Note: I'm using german rules so there could be some problems caused by the translation ... or my english ;)

Any idea? How are playing this? Can a model be trapped because of the edge of the board?

19 hours ago, moriquendi said:

Any idea? How are playing this? Can a model be trapped because of the edge of the board?

A model is trapped if they could be driven back but no legal unoccupied hexes exist for them to be driven back into. Based on this interpretation, I always played in such a way that a model against the edge of the board is trapped (provided there are no other hexes where he could be driven back).

Edited by themiro

21 minutes ago, themiro said:

A model is trapped if they could be driven back but no legal unoccupied hexes exist for them to be driven back into. Based on this interpretation, I always played in such a way that a model against the edge of the board is trapped (provided there are no other hexes where he could be driven back).

Agreed

The objective card "Contained" does not specify any numbers of surviving enemy fighters in their territory - does this means that if I kill all enemy fighters that I will  be able to score this objective? (the way I'm thinking is that its impossible to contain something that does not exist anymore hence not scoring it).

Just listened to Claim the City's episode on the FAQ.  I just wanted some clarification regarding one of the entries they speak about. 

The placing objective entry.  This says "The final objective token, and any other token that cannot be placed because of these restrictions, is placed following the same rules, except that it can be placed on an edge hex."

My understanding of that was that the final objective token can be placed on an edge hex regardless of whether there is a legal spot not on the edge.  Same as the rules have been up to this point.  The FAQ just allowing the 4th objective to be placed on the edge if there are otherwise no legal spots.  Claim the City however believes it to mean that the final objective CANNOT be placed on an edge hex, UNLESS there are no other legal spots. 

Edited by CodFather

I'm not a native speaker, but the wording seems quite clear to me: you have to place the markers ‎corresponding to all restrictions. Only if this is not possible, you are allowed  to ignore the restriction not to place on an edge hex.

Edited by moriquendi

I agree with you CodFather i.e. you can place the last one in an edge hex even if there are other valid spaces available. There’s no change as I see it to the rule for deploying the last objective.

The only change is the caveat to prevent the bizarre situation where certain board combinations/objective placing meant that you find you couldn’t place the 4th objective legally. So they’ve just given space in the rules to allow that situation to be worked around (by using an edge space that is otherwise not legal for the 4th objective), rather than breaking the game before it even starts.

Oh, sorry. You are totally right.

I missed the passage "[...]The final objective token, and any other[...]". Embarrissing :$

But thank you for asking. I have read this wrong interpretation somewhere else and never checked the FAQ. So you probably saved me from playing it wrong.

Edited by moriquendi

Hi,

After the new FAQ regarding the SG's warden getting inspired and the objective card Eternal fight been scored even if the same model has been brought back to game twice: Do you think that Let's the Blood Flows can be scored if the successful attacks, or 2 of them, has been made by the same fighter?

Just an FYI on Time Trap as even after reading all this and the FAQ I still had it wrong.  I was at the LVO this weekend, and the game designer, David Sanders, was running the event.  Time Trap was ruled to allow you to take any actions, as long as that action is not a move action on a model that has already moved.  For example, I can charge Brightshield in and swing on the Warden, do 2 damage, then play time trap.  Then swing on him again with Brightshield (even tho she had already charged) and finish him off. 

Edited by CodFather

4 hours ago, CodFather said:

Just an FYI on Time Trap as even after reading all this and the FAQ I still had it wrong.  I was at the LVO this weekend, and the game designer, David Sanders, was running the event.  Time Trap was ruled to allow you to take any actions, as long as that action is not a move action on a model that has already moved.  For example, I can charge Brightshield in and swing on the Warden, do 2 damage, then play time trap.  Then swing on him again with Brightshield (even tho she had already charged) and finish him off. 

Wait what...!?! Players were allowed to charge with a fighter, use time trap and then attack with the same fighter again?
Allowed by the game designer? The guy supposedly in charge of the FAQs as well?

Q: Time Trap instructs you to skip your next activation. Does this mean you have to take a Pass on your next activation, or do you get an extra activation and therefore change the turn order?

A: When you use Time Trap you take an extra action (not an activation). This action happens in the power step, and you do not flip an activation token when you take the action. You cannot use this action to do something you could not normally do (e.g. make a Charge action with a fighter that has already made a Move action in this phase). Once you have taken the action, the power step continues. You must take the ‘Pass’ player activation as your next activation, which will be followed by the power step as normal. Time Trap does not change the turn order.

I don't know what to make of this...

"You cannot use this action to do something you could not normally do (e.g. make a Charge action with a fighter that has already made a Move action in this phase)."

Well, but normally you can take any action when a card tells you that you can take an action, so "normally" would be "normally as written in the rulebook"... ;D Question: is there anything in the rules that makes a move/charge actio  after move/charge action treated differently than attack after a charge?

Maybe at some point we'll get a clear FAQ, who knows :P.