Incarnates in Order

flamingwalnut

So, as I slow build my Order models and ponder my lore, one unit jumped out at me: The Incarnates. While I am sad that there are only 2 (Beasts and Fire) they are a cool concept and could really make for some awesome centerpieces. Question is, how best to use them.

Now, my understanding is, outside of Destruction, they can only be summoned by the respective Battlemages. Is this still true for current Matched Play? As long as I have the reinforcement points saved for them, I am good to go?

Second, and biggest, concern: how best to get that crazy spell cast? What stuff can a Collegiate Arcane Battlemage in GA Order use to boost their casting chance? I know of the Balewind, but is there anything else? Is it even worth the effort?

19 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

I am not aware of any rules for summoning 'Incarnates', but would be interested to know what you are talking about?

In the Monstrous Arcanum PDF from Forge World, there are two entries called Incarnate Elemental of Beasts and Incarnate Elemental of Fire. Both of these have on their warscroll a spell to summon them, stating that Destruction Wizards as well as Amber Wizards (for Beasts) and Bright Wizards (for Fire) can summon them. It is on a 11+ to cast. 

Not sure if I can link this, so Mods feel free to delete this if you need to. But here: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/aos-monstrous-arcanum.pdf

I suspect that you don't see them played in Order because the summoning cost is so high.

Not only do you need to ally in Collegiate Arcane wizards, but then you need to roll a mighty 11+ to summon. Given that in Order, only Seraphon can summon, nobody is going to set aside enough reinforcement points to summon an Incarnate. 

Really not worth the risk that you won't successfully summon during the game. At least in Destruction you have the choice of taking them as part of your actual list without running the risk of summoning.

22 minutes ago, Heksagon said:

Well, Arcane terrain can give you +1 to cast... but that's not much. 

So, summon a Balewind in Arcane terraim with a Stardrake nearby and we can summon on a 8+. Huh...

Is there any way to generate Arcane terrain? I assume it is more of a "whatever the board is set up with" or "roll for it randomly" kind of deal. What I would give for a mage based batallion that gave you a chunk of arcane terrain like Sylvaneth Wildwoods...

On 10/21/2017 at 9:52 AM, flamingwalnut said:

So, as I slow build my Order models and ponder my lore, one unit jumped out at me: The Incarnates. While I am sad that there are only 2 (Beasts and Fire) they are a cool concept and could really make for some awesome centerpieces. Question is, how best to use them.

Now, my understanding is, outside of Destruction, they can only be summoned by the respective Battlemages. Is this still true for current Matched Play? As long as I have the reinforcement points saved for them, I am good to go?

Second, and biggest, concern: how best to get that crazy spell cast? What stuff can a Collegiate Arcane Battlemage in GA Order use to boost their casting chance? I know of the Balewind, but is there anything else? Is it even worth the effort?

Hey Mate.

You can't legally run an Incarnate in Matched Play because summoning points need to be used for units within your Grand Alliance.

I went out and bought the Incarnate Elemental of Fire to run in a Collegiate Arcane army, packed to the brim with mages, with the goal of summoning an Elemental behind enemy lines.

You can find the ruling on Page 77;

Reinforcement units must belong to the same Grand Alliance as the rest of your army, but can otherwise have any allegiance. Because restrictions are determined when you pick your army, units added later using reinforcement points can allow the army to exceed the normal limitations for Leaders, Artillery and Behemoths

12 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

Hey Mate.

You can't legally run an Incarnate in Matched Play because summoning points need to be used for units within your Grand Alliance.

I went out and bought the Incarnate Elemental of Fire to run in a Collegiate Arcane army, packed to the brim with mages, with the goal of summoning an Elemental behind enemy lines.

You can find the ruling on Page 77;

Reinforcement units must belong to the same Grand Alliance as the rest of your army, but can otherwise have any allegiance. Because restrictions are determined when you pick your army, units added later using reinforcement points can allow the army to exceed the normal limitations for Leaders, Artillery and Behemoths

And upon this day, there was extreme sadness.... Might still convert one for some silly narrative campaigns... Rough. Well, thank you, I completely missed that.

14 hours ago, flamingwalnut said:

And upon this day, there was extreme sadness.... Might still convert one for some silly narrative campaigns... Rough. Well, thank you, I completely missed that.

I feel your pain. I actually bought the Incarnate Fire/Wrath and now I have no motivation to paint it. I really thought I had an awesome trick up my sleeve. 

Archived