Let's chat: Sepulchral Guard

Killax

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Goblin-King said:

And thank god for that! Actually several reasonable rulings! Expendable skaven is now "exiled".

Edit: Damn... I think I misread. Or I read what I wanted to read... Seems like Expendable is in fact as powerful as the pre-rulings foretold :(

Yap, Expandable is pretty good. Now we have official rules for that.

1 hour ago, SirSolomon said:

Expendable you can only use once now if I am reading the FAQ correctly.

Why?

Q: When I use Expendable to remove my fighter from the battlefield, does my opponent gain a glory point?

A: No. However, from that point on the fighter is considered in every way to be out of action (e.g. for the purposes of enumerating fighters out of action and for determining which fighters can be returned to the battlefield with Skritch’s Action).

There is nothing that you discard that upgrade. Just when you take fighter from table its not consider that is taken out of action, its just removed (enemy don't get glory for killing, you will not do objective cards that say "when your leader take enemy fighter out of action"), after that is normaly consider out of action (can be resurected, you will get objective card that say "at end of action phase enemy has 3 fighters out of action", etc). So when you get him back on table, he still have upgrade, so you can use it again. I'am missing something?

Oh I'm not saying it's bad. It's actually quite good, since doubling-down on objectives is strong, as it adds a degree of redundancy to your draw (more chances to draw Supremacy/Supremacy-lite) and adds a possible double-tap if you can score both at once.

A straight-up copy of Supremacy would have been a bad release, IMO.

7 hours ago, Elmir said:

Isn't that just a weaker supremacy card? I'm not seeing any difference or am I missing something completely....

Isn't supremacy turn 3 only? Either way it increase chances of getting it and as above doubles it down or you can use it two turn in a row

Doubling of effects (or nearly) is a theme, I think. It allows certain warbands to gain a stronger reward for certain actions than others.  I like how it helps 'theme' those warbands.  I see this card as similar. Granted, it's objective-focused, which is folly, but I like the concept.

It is a weaker supremacy and it is still a good card. Holding 3 objectives can be hard to achieve but it can be done, with supremacy and Our Only Way Out, you have more chances to get some early glory points. The new stormcasts have another specific supremacy (and an upgraded Side Step), it can be really nice.

About the Guard: I fear that there is no great new objective card for this band. Defensive Strike , MasterstrokeWar of Attrition

Hidden Path is a ploy that can help to get to objectives in enemy territory. 

Invisible Walls can slow done aggro opponents. 

Mischievous Spirits is nice, can save a some Hold Objective afet an Earthquake or a Great Concussion.

Teamwork  can combo with Ceaseless Attack.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Was wondering, now that all the decks are out for the First Wave how are you guys fairing with Sepulcher Guard? Is the Objective Holding deck still the best way to play them?

Been struggling of late with my guard. Looking for some fresh ideas. Would love to see some deck builds that has been consistently  successful for you.

33 minutes ago, SirSolomon said:

Hi all.

Was wondering, now that all the decks are out for the First Wave how are you guys fairing with Sepulcher Guard? Is the Objective Holding deck still the best way to play them?

Been struggling of late with my guard. Looking for some fresh ideas. Would love to see some deck builds that has been consistently  successful for you.

I haven't played guard yet, but when I do I plan to have some objective based objective cards such as Supremacy, Our on Way Out and March of the Dead along with various other objective cards. The ploys and upgrades will be geared towards combat and moving.

my thinking is that the petitioners can sit back and sit on objectives while the 3 combat skellies and possibly the Warden can beat up the enemy

2 hours ago, SirSolomon said:

Hi all.

I have had a moderate success with aggresive skellies build splashing Supremacy and A Destiny to meet + Spectral key + one normal key as finishers. Last tournament I did my best against 2x Magores matchup, won the first one and lost the second one. Both best of 3s were very close. I feel the Magores are favored in the matchup.

The main problem is that you have very hard time against the Orcs and you basically fold against aggresive Farstriders, especially if they have Shardgale. 

I do not see skellies becoming very strong in any meta that favors Farstriders(which is right now - they are hella strong). I mean we have up to 3 cleaves but at 2 move and 2 - 3 hp on everything it is just not possible to win unless the guy plays poorly.

Here is my new deck that I am going to try out.

Hold Objective 1 - 5, Supremacy, Peerless General, March of the Dead, Tactical Supremacy 1-2, Tactical Supremacy 3-4, Ploymaster, Our only way out

Then...

Sidestep, Necromancer commands, Duel of wits, Time Trap, Restless Dead, Terrifying screams, Ceaseless Attacks, Distraction, Illusory Fighter, Ready for Action

Upgrades...

Shardcaller, Grim Cleave, Deathly Charge, Shadeglass Darts, Fatal Strike, Soultrap, Undying, Lethal Lunge, Frightening speed, Great Strength

Would love to work Shardfall and Shifting shards into the deck.

(On a side note, I don't have Skaven so none of their cards)

• 1 month later...

What are Sepulchral Guard players thoughts on the new boards and spoiled leader cards? 

The boards in particular look interesting. I was thinking of having a defensive objective based Guard army. SG has access to 2 enemy push cards along with great concussion and earthquake. The Prince also has knockback to help "nudge" enemies into hazard hexes. You could take things like hidden paths or illusory fighter to help keep the Warden alive by teleporting him away from danger. Even quick thinker would work. 

In my head it seems like a good plan. Sit back and score objectives, and if they come to you, punish them for it by throwing into the hazards and ressurecting skeletons next to them . 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Skellisquad said:

The question for the guard isn't how to win when the opposing warbands comes at you, but rather how to win when they have the three objectives and dont. 

I've been finding success with a mixed aggression and objective based deck (which also helps counter against aggressive decks (although the meta in my region is mostly Aggro decks, with one or two people playing objective decks.

2 hours ago, Bandit-94 said:

@Desidus can i see your decklist? I'm trying to create a mixed deck but without results, Aggro decks still stomp my skellies :(

@Bandit-94 Can we try the other way round? If you post your deck list then we can feedback and hopefully not only improve your current deck, but also help your future deck building

Archived