Let's chat: Sepulchral Guard

Killax

Sepulchral Guard

Deathrattle_ArtSquare_Warden.png

Like all fantastic Let's Chat topics I believe that Warhammer Underworlds will be great with it's own set of Let's Chat topics aswell. 
The idea here is really to chat about the Warband, use of characters and offcourse deck construction that will eventually contain all kinds of different cards.

The advantage of keeping all these topics in one place allows for players to really browse through a list of ideas and tactics applied by several players. Offcourse painting and modeling discussions will also be part of these kinds of topics.

In order to inform the starting player and veteran I decided to put as much info on the Guard as I can. Currently I can't find the complete deck scans of all cards just yet, so please be patient! :) 

Warband:

The Sepulchral Warden
The Prince of Dust
The Harvester
The Champion

3x Petitioner

Review:

Usefull Links:
https://warhammerunderworlds.com/sepulchral-guard/
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/12/the-warbands-of-shadespire-the-sepulchral-guard-oct-12gw-homepage-post-2/

Feel free to join the excitement for Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire!

Cheers,

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I'm going to be using these guys at the Blood and Glory event in a few weeks I best pay attention to this thread! 

My initial thoughts with the warband is that they appear weak at first but can quickly power up through upgrades and become strong in the late game. The key thing I'm thinking about at the moment is that they are all around moving and keeping the The Sepulchral Warden safe. I also think this warband will rely a lot more on what objectives are in your deck than other warbands and you will be focused upon easy ones to get. This is because even though your fighters can be resurrected, that gives away a Glory Point and you will need a way to keep this in check.

I agree, the option to double move for an Action means this Warband has the numbers and survivability to play more on Objective capturement and gaining Glory that way to obtain their Upgrades, especially the Petitioners seem ideally designed for that use. The third will act as a great roadblock to the Warden. 

One of the most interesting aspects also remains the punch the Harvester presents and as such I feel this army will feel weak at first but dominate in the lategame once 3 or more Upgrades have been attached. Fun for sure!

In terms of boards I think the 1-2 blocked pieces are also ideal here. More (3) would hinder movement and open fields in my eyes makes it more difficult to keep the Warden out of harms way.

So far I think the Stormcast will like the 3 blocked board, Undead the 1-2 and Bloodreavers the open while Orks seem very adaptable. 

Sepulchral Warden is going to be a high priority target, I’d sacrifice a Stormcast to take him out early on, so keep him safe. 

It seems like they really will benefit from holding objectives. Being able to cover so much ground via numbers while also having slow movement means they probably want to play defensively, and movement increase cards are going to be extremely important. 

I’d be careful about throwing away Petitioners as resurrection fodder. An Inspired Petitioner may not be worth giving up a Glory Point, especially when they could be providing assists or holding backfield objectives. 

Just random thoughts, I’m looking forward to playing with them.

From what I've seen, Sepulchral Guard will have the most options on any given turn, which is both a blessing and a curse. You'll rarely get to do more with most of your force other than move (outside of Ploys, of course), but they have the widest variety of choices for play from what I've seen. 

I was watching the stream yesterday and liked what they were talking about - building your Power deck almost exclusively around one model (probably Champion or Harvester from what I've seen) and then pumping them up. Then you can be berserk as possible with them, since you can always rez them if they die, while the rest of your army shuffled around the board to support with positioning.

What kind of decks are you guys going to build?

Like the boys the Sepulchral Guard are around the corner!

image.png.d15e8754a694005525dbb821e552f4ea.png

Sepulchral Guard are such an interesting Warband. Seven Undead, so much Movement thus so much Objective Holding potential. In addition to that, death is not the end for them and the placement hexes are filled with bones. Offcourse one smaller disadvantage is that your opponent will likely have the option to choose who starts but even that isn't a massive issue. It's something to consider though, as it does often mean your opponent will cash in the first Glory, a Petitioner is not hard to kill.

Because the deck holds Tactical Supremacy 1-2 and Tactical Supremacy 3-4 I do think that Garrek's Bloodreavers want to have these skulls aswell. In addition this deck does not come with the Hold Objective cards which obviously should be part of any Sepulchral Guard deck, claiming two Objectives as your first Action isn't only possible, it's almost a guaranteed succes with this Warband. After all, the only thing your opponent can do against it is use attacks or Power cards to push your fighters away.

When we look at the Warband it's obviously key to keep The Warden around. Pretty much every model is expendable but him. This certainly means that Bloodreavers can be dangerous opponents if they are able to reach him and eventually they will be able to do this. Makes for a very interesting game. In addition The Harvester is justa  brutal fighter. 

This Warband will have a massive appeal to players who like to play 'control decks' in other card games. You run behind initially but have the maximum ammount of board manipulation. While pieces slowly gain the advantage by numbers. What keeps things so incredibly awesome is that the Rulesbook mentions that Upgrades are kept on "dead" fighters, this means you will be able to make The Harvester an absolute HORROR the moment he obtains Great Strenght and sweeps for 3 damage. All in all if you like being behin initially and basically choking your opponent to death this Warband will be ideal for you. More as soon as Ive got my box! :) 

Cheers,

I find the possible tactics of this warband very interesting. Seem like a strait forward "Grab objectives" kind of deal. Will be interesting to see if anyone builds them differently.

The major problem as it has already been stated is the fear of the Petitioners "handing out" glory left, right and centre. Saw one battle report where the Stormcast player managed 6 glory just be chopping down skeletons

Get your box today!

Y4dxGZzx_2U.jpg
8UQNwYQtMU4.jpg
mA7mzGXdI9I.jpg
mM1Zxtowd0M.jpg
I1Rnqy2u9Mw.jpg

In regards to handing out Petitioners, I too think the key to this set is to not do that :) However keeping 1 to 2 near your Warden is a great plan anyway because however you turn that it's added defence to your key model :D 

Other than that, I plan to test as following:
Turn 1 and 2: Use 3 Actions for aggressive moves with Harvester, Prince and Champion, use 1 Action to move 2 Petitioners on Objectives. With this I think you have a solid plan regardless of deaths on either side. What is Key however is to get the Hold Objective 1 to 5 cards if you don't have the Core Set yet. In addition Supremacy is also a very solid and great plan on paper.

The thing about petitioners is that one will be tempted to throw them into contact to get those support symbols but they wont last there. Maybe as a last ditch effort. Other than that I think just need to be parked on objectives one after the other

1 hour ago, Urbanus said:

The thing about petitioners is that one will be tempted to throw them into contact to get those support symbols but they wont last there. Maybe as a last ditch effort. Other than that I think just need to be parked on objectives one after the other

Exact, that or provide assistance in Defence/Offence against more aggressive Warbands.

The way the Sepulchral guard strike me is that they dominate Objectives if you want to and the real battle is between keeping the Objective flow comming so you can lose guys. All in all the cool thing is that they really have the potential to creep in.

While Upgrades cannot be played on models taken out of action they do remain on the fighter. What makes this so awesome is that the Harvester or Champion remain awesome hammers to a boney anvil. Offcourse the Warden can come and meddle too but I do feel that the situation really has to lend for it.

So played a couple of games tonight using their own cards. Then I played some swapping in some objective holding cards.  

Hard to know what best way to play them is. I don’t think they are objective holding primarily. They move too slow and are too easy to kill.  

I actually think they will do better as a force that aims to table the opponent wih lots of support fighters.  Wih ability to move two and sometimes three fighters per action you can really stack p the support easily.  And the Harvester is just a beast.  I know it’s tenpting to keep the warden in back but slap a couple of upgrades makes him harder to kill and he is an offensive powerhouse with a 2 range and inspired 3 damage attack.  That’s my experience playing them so far

I like the undead so far,  but it looks to me like any opponent with some experience is going to focus on the Warden and win.  As is traditional with GW's way of handling undead, the force ceases to be viable once the animating mode is removed. 

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

I like the undead so far,  but it looks to me like any opponent with some experience is going to focus on the Warden and win.  As is traditional with GW's way of handling undead, the force ceases to be viable once the animating mode is removed. 

If the undead player is smart he'll put the warden in the back so you'll have to mow through the other 6 guys to get to him. Easier said than done.

In my games I didn’t find myself reanimating more than 2-3 models. 

Also it’s hard to block someone completely without making half your force useless since they are just stuck in the back.  In which case probably opponent will win anyway. So I think temptation to castle has to be resisted. Plus fact that warden is one of your strongest hitters with 2 hex range. And you can give him upgrades that make him quite tanky.  

7 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

So played a couple of games tonight using their own cards. Then I played some swapping in some objective holding cards.  
Hard to know what best way to play them is. I don’t think they are objective holding primarily. They move too slow and are too easy to kill.  

I actually think they will do better as a force that aims to table the opponent wih lots of support fighters.  Wih ability to move two and sometimes three fighters per action you can really stack p the support easily.  And the Harvester is just a beast.  I know it’s tenpting to keep the warden in back but slap a couple of upgrades makes him harder to kill and he is an offensive powerhouse with a 2 range and inspired 3 damage attack.  That’s my experience playing them so far

The one thing I like about Hold Objectives currently is that they do allow for a more defensive play, in addition to that it makes them the easiest Objectives to score in phase 1. While being roughly 50/50 on the "easy" part.

While Petitioners are indeed too easy to kill the others arn't that easy to kill and I believe this is where the key to victory lies. Versus Stormcast and Orruks I believe you can that additional Hold Objective cards will force your opponent in your zone which then will certainly lead to assisted combats. 

I agree that the Harvester is a beast and I love that the Champion has the option to become one, same with the Warden himself. I believe their key to victory lies in gaining Glory that fist phase from the Objectives, attach as much good Upgrades as you have and continue to see your plan unfold. Again I think the Upgrades sticking to out of action fighters is a massive rules advantage as you essentially do not lose your glory effect spend on them, which really matters during phase 1 and 2.

32 minutes ago, CanHammer-darren said:

In my games I didn’t find myself reanimating more than 2-3 models. 

Also it’s hard to block someone completely without making half your force useless since they are just stuck in the back.  In which case probably opponent will win anyway. So I think temptation to castle has to be resisted. Plus fact that warden is one of your strongest hitters with 2 hex range. And you can give him upgrades that make him quite tanky.  

Only good to hear you didn't feel the need to bring more back. It also means your not randomly wasting activations. In my opinion only the Harvester is always worth bringing back, the Champion sometimes and the others mostly never. The movement however allows for slow creep up without any of the downsides and is something I'd certainly use at least once per phase.

If you have a Shardfall in there you should always be able to castle up even in open field with a Petitioner near you. Which is basically the only thing I feel the Warden requires. Even if they reach it your looking at 50/50 defences if you place it well enough that you are supported. Even then though there is currently nothing that hits for 4 damage without Upgrades. The Warden is certainly solid enough to thake on one oppossing fighter. 

One thing I will mention is that I personally do feel that this Warband wants the Core essentials. I'm not blown away with the cards that come in their standard deck but I do think they become all caps incredible with the Core Set contents. As soon as I have the box I'll push myself to include:
- Confusion, set up a Petitioner in charge range, if it gets by, confuse and assist charge
- Sidestep 
- Shardfall, board is super full and really gets your opponents stuck, it's worth losing a Petitioner if you can guarantee Tactical Supremacy for example
- Great Strenght, as before Upgrades stick so have fun!
- Maby even consider Total Offence, based on playstyle
- Hold 1 to 5, I love them with Bloodreavers and if anything the Sepulchral Guard feel like they one-up Bloodreavers in all areas
- Supremacy, essentially Hold A,B,C, I love and have used this to great effect with Bloodreavers and that costs 3 Activations, with the Warden you can do it in 2 and still have a fighter in a threatening place

Other than that there are sufficient Sepulchral Guard exclusive cards to really flesh out a deck that is both great at holding Objectives and good enough at combat. What makes them superior to Bloodreavers in my eyes is the fact that you can return them, meaning you have 2-3 Wounds but virtually 4-6 for an activation, Bloodreavers do not have that luxioury and in addition only Saek is able to one-hit a Sepulchral Guard main Fighter while The Harvester sweeps (un-inspired) and The Campion cleaves (un-inspired) trough Guard stances.

All in all as mentioned on the Facebook page too, I think (and many other players) that Sepulchral Guard are a top contender due to tactical flexability. You might have less room for errors but even then there is a error fixer in returning models. 

Cheers,

5 hours ago, ReynakZhen said:

If the undead player is smart he'll put the warden in the back so you'll have to mow through the other 6 guys to get to him. Easier said than done.

With medium board choke, Sidestep, Shardfall, Confusion and 4 wounds it's actually incredible hard to thake out the Warden in time unless your opponent allows it. The moment we are in phase 3 I think there is a serious window (as with all leaders) but there is no saying how many Upgrades are then on him which allow him to strike back hard (Lethal Lunge) or have him tanked up with additional wounds or assisted defences.

Image may contain: text

1 hour ago, CanHammer-darren said:

nice, thanks for the insights.  INdeed, i don't feel that their own cards at that much to their presumed playstyle.  actually you mention it, i ressed the harvester 4 times and he died 5 times haha....only downside of course is thats 5 glory points for my opponent....

Exactly, ideally you don't do it at all or at least I'd play as much as possible to not get back random dudes who cannot do anything too meaningful anyway.

What is really essential to the game itself is have a 12 step plan, as that is the number of activations you have. The largest advantage I and many should love about the Guard is that they essentially have the option to turn that into many more. This is really cool because just sitting two to three guys on Objectives actually can get you very far ahead in the game. Even if all they do is stand there. Talking offcourse about the Hold Objectives 1-5 but also 1-2's and 3-4's or Supremacy. I'll post my planned list as soon as possible :) 

8 minutes ago, CanHammer-darren said:

so winning list from is up from the BLood and GLory....on the warhammer community page

Yep

Battle Without End
Crushing Force
Denial
Determined Defender
Flawless Strategy
March of the Dead
More Able Bodies
Ploymaster
Skills Unforgotten
Supremacy
Superior Tactician