Let's chat: Ironskull's Boyz

Killax

• 7 months later...

I've been on the sidelines of this game from the beginning and whilst I don't own everything I think I'm only 3 warbands (Guardians, Nine, Hunt) and 1 expansion (Leaders) short of a full set of product.   I'll probably pick up the warbands I'm missing but can't see me bothering with the leaders expansion.

My problem is that I've got a huge soft spot for the Boyz as I always play the Orcs in any system that has them.  They seem to pretty much be the worst warband out there at the moment.

From my amateur perspective they don't seem to be a very versatile warband, they seem to want to play aggro but the truth is there are multiple warbands that just do aggro better than they can.  Then there is the huge Troggoth in the room.  He is better at aggro than the the boyz and whilst he exists and people tech against him they are by default teching against  Gurzag,

Despite all that my intention is to play them because, well frankly, I want to.  I'm just going to do the best I can with them.  I've not played for a while so the deck I had is way out of date and also no longer valid due to BAR changes so I need to start again.  The most recent deck I can find is from the Moscow Grand Tournament back in May.

So is anyone out there playing them?

Are they being built as just a sub par aggro warband or is there another way?

I'm not asking for people to build my deck for me I'm just interested in any shared knowledge or experience that I can build upon.

They are universally considered to be among the very weakest warbands in the game, but it's not like AOS where you might as well not even bother playing the game in many matchups with Ironjawz over the last 18 months.  With a decent deck and some experience, you can win games with these guys, and even if it's Hard Mode it's not impossible.

There's a bit of water under the bridge since, but John Rees won a local event with them back in January. 

This is the write-up (I must admit that even as a big fan of John's, I found the orc-speak quite a difficult read in this one):

https://canyourollacrit.com/2019/01/10/weekend-tournament-round-up-18/

2 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

...but yes, sub par aggro warband sounds about right.

Interesting link.  January was a while ago and the opposition faced back then were obviously not the new shiny stuff that people like to play now.  That said at least I can take away the deck structure and purpose as one of only a few examples out there.

So it seems that 'hard mode' aggro is the way to go with them, which I guess is not really a surprise.

Having said all that I'm not exactly in a position to be winning any glass anyway so as long as I get to enjoy some games with them it's all good.  I don't suppose I'll craft anything earth shattering but if I do manage to get a few games played I'll report back.

Thanks

EDIT:

With no testing at all based on generally good cards and a few previous decks I think I'll start with this.

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,243,257,94,N373,90,305,N302,272,273,N357,348,N391,N417,331,101,343,361,365,339,N401,378,N503,N506,115,111,113,N499,N504,N529,109,235,N340

Edited by paul7926
  • Like 1