The Future - And Past - of the AoS Aesthetic

BobbyB

I think an important part of continuing Age of Sigmar will be description and even better visualization through art of humans within the Realms, and how they can be unique to the setting without just continuing to be  in the style of the Hundred Years war.

I particularly like the style of my models from the Army of the Griffin from Confrontation.  They are more of a high fantasy look, while still keeping to the tropes of the Empire, with riflemen, spearmen, witch hunters and templars.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

Hopefully DoK being left out of the GHB2017 means we are close to a DoK release/expansion/battltome. 

There has been a  lot of rumors of a future faction from the Realm of Ulgu, though whether it'll be Aelfs we don't know. They may release a Shadowkin battletomb for Ulgu, similar to the Sylvaneth for Gyhran.

22 hours ago, GammaMage said:

I'm wondering why they did a box set for Daughters of Khaine, and then left them out of the Anvilheim allegiance, which has every other former Dark Elf splinter faction. Coming back to aesthetics, the Daughters look pretty distinctive, and are very dynamic compared to the mostly static regiments of the others. Do they have future plans for Daughters because their aesthetic lends itself better to the loose formations of AoS?

This dynamism and distinctiveness arguement also applies to Corsairs too. However, the current Corsair models feel much more dated than the Witch Elves, and should be replaced (with the cool Sea Dragon Cloaks retained, of course).

Also, unlike DoK, there not much that can be read into SC not getting an allegiance ability with only four warscrolls at the moment.

If i had to build out three current elf factions, i would go Daughters of Khaine, Lion Rangers and Scourge Privateers.

The new Hammerhal novella features a Lion Ranger, so there might be something in the works! Always thought it was odd that they splintered off an aelf faction with no heroes in it at all. It's just the Rangers and Chariots. Though we are using the argument that SC have too few warscrolls to merit proper allegiance whilst saying that Lion Rangers will get expanded because they have so few warscrolls. xD They are a pretty unique thing to build up an elf faction around, afaik, there aren't a lot of elves linked closely to lions in any fantasy aside from Warhammer (though WoW has dark elves with panthers). And their warscrolls look pretty sweet.

High elves riding white lions, some mage elf riding a massive, winged white lion.

I have not heard anything, but it fits with the "take one small element from WHFB and dial it to 11".

Still, compared to the low-hanging fruit that is pirates and witches, the Lion Rangers are more my "long-shot" guess. 

Phoenix Temple - or perhaps something completely new - might be more likely in terms of light elves.

Hiwever, what i really want to know is why Firebellies are a separate thing...

9 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

This dynamism and distinctiveness arguement also applies to Corsairs too. However, the current Corsair models feel much more dated than the Witch Elves, and should be replaced (with the cool Sea Dragon Cloaks retained, of course).

Which is an illusion because corsairs are as old as other DE infantry, but they were released in the 7th ed. when others - in 8th. But sculpts are completely the same. This goes for witches too.

4 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Hiwever, what i really want to know is why Firebellies are a separate thing...

Obviously, to make them a separate ogre faction in the future, if they ever are going to do this. Fire ogres cult, why not.

Since we've finally gotten off the Stormcast/Space Marine topic :-) :-) :-) and back to the future of the AoS aesthetic...

I've been trying to find hints as to where the Moonclan Grots are going (since I have 200+ painted) and haven't been able to find any mentions in fluff, outside of their unit entries in the Destruction book.

Does anybody remember seeing any references outside of the Destruction book?

Part of me is worried that that bodes ill for the short little blighters, but another part wonders if we'll see a make-over similar to the Flesh-Eater Courts.

I further wonder if the hint to their future direction is right there in the their name. MOONclan grots. Perhaps they will literally be from the moons that hover above the mortal realms and the references to sky born grots in the Kharadon Overlords book are actually references to the Moonclans.

Giant Inflatable Squig Balloons!

Just a thought...

12 hours ago, DarkWingDuck said:

Since we've finally gotten off the Stormcast/Space Marine topic :-) :-) :-) and back to the future of the AoS aesthetic...

I've been trying to find hints as to where the Moonclan Grots are going (since I have 200+ painted) and haven't been able to find any mentions in fluff, outside of their unit entries in the Destruction book.

Does anybody remember seeing any references outside of the Destruction book?

Part of me is worried that that bodes ill for the short little blighters, but another part wonders if we'll see a make-over similar to the Flesh-Eater Courts.

I further wonder if the hint to their future direction is right there in the their name. MOONclan grots. Perhaps they will literally be from the moons that hover above the mortal realms and the references to sky born grots in the Kharadon Overlords book are actually references to the Moonclans.

Giant Inflatable Squig Balloons!

Just a thought...

I haven't read anything about the Moonclan grots outside the Destruction book, but heaps on spiderfang grots, who show up for a large portion of the story, they even mention their Spider God which was cool. I think, like many factions, they just haven't gotten around to writing about them yet.

On 22/10/2017 at 6:33 AM, Mr. White said:

Nah. The social contract of these purchases doesn't necessitate support 30 yrs later.  We're not paying for multi year product support, but as is at time of purchase. I can't be mad at Nintendo because my Super Nintendo cartridges don't work on my Switch. 

Likewise, AoS is a new system.

True, I can still play my SNES when I want, and an Empire player can still  play any older version of WHFB they want, but in neither situation is the gamer owed unlimited future support in later systems.

To me that seems unnecessarily harsh on the many very slow painters among us (some of the slowest are also the best, cf Bishmeister) and on the sentimental attachment people have to old figures and armies. Comparing wargaming to a computer game (far more instantaneous) isn't useful in that regard. 

I really welcome GW's ongoing 'support' for Warhammer Fantasy armies through the compendium warscrolls. The more inclusive the game is of different aesthetics and the various models people have bought from GW over the years the better - the hobby should never feel exclusive. The fact that there's room for grimdark Hammerhal ghoul-slaying alongside more heroic Stormcast endeavours goes to show that GW do seem to want to keep the Mortal Realms open to interpretation and for us to be able to let our imagination and creativity unfold within them. 

Archived