Seraphon at the GT FINAL 2017

DodgyRoller

So last weekend I attended the AOS GT final at Warhammer world, originally I wanted to take night haunt but unfortunately wasn't able to get the army done in time, I was however fortunate enough to have a friend with a very large seraphon army. The army I used was obviously not the most thought out as I wrote it in the queue to register but I was really excited  to be trying out a new army with new allegiance abilities etc.. and thought Id write my thoughts on seraphon if I were to start an army in the future. So the list I took was ...

Allegiance: Seraphon
Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
- Warblade
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (280)

Battleline
15 x Saurus Guard (300)
- Seraphon Battleline
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

Units
6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)

Behemoths
Bastiladon (280)
Stegadon (240)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Again not the strongest build by any means but going into the event I was just happy to be playing AOS tbh so and at the end of the day loved the army. So to begin with the Slann was very useful to the army, I would say he was essential as he does add a lot (3 spells, constellations and of course his command trait), his command trait which allows 2 units to teleport instead of 1 was awesome it allowed a relatively slow army to out manoeuvre other armies; and that allegiance ability I feel is soo pivotal in certain scenarios like total conquest  and scorched earth. The artefact I took on the Slann is basically seraphon's version of the ring of immortality and ... it never came into effect as he never died in any of the 6 games, lucky frog. However considering how important the Slann is to the army I would defo take it again. 

So battleline lets talk about them so in the list I took I had 15 saurus guard and 2 x 10 skinks, the saurus guard I really enjoyed 2 attacks each 3's to hit and wound they can put out a fair amount of damage and keep them near a hero (typically the Slann) they have a 3+ save that ignores -1 rend couple that with a mystic shield and they are super tanky, until mortal wounds turn up. The one thing im still not 100% sold on is whether they were worth their pts one bad match up and they can die very quickly and you do need to build your list to make them really good, but I was super happy with them and I would try them in a lot of lists in the future but you could drop them take a 3rd unit of skinks and have 240 pts to play with. Speaking of which the skinks, the true heroes of the battleline, on paper their ability to retreat from combat looks cool but people were aware of this and typically attacked them first but that does add a lot of tactical  choices especially if you have multiple units in combat, one will get away. Again coming back to board control/ speed of the army, throwing 10 of these lizards around the board on objectives that your opponent has left unguarded was really fun. All in all the battleline was solid and I would take those units again.

The big dinosaurs were put in the list cos my friend who I borrowed the army from thought  it would be cool to take 4 big dinosaurs, and it was... stomp stomp stomp. The 2 Carnosaurs were tbh a let down in almost every game, don't get me wrong they are only 240 and 280 pts so your not spending 400pts on 1 monster but they didn't really feel like they added anything to the list, they were super cool to use until they charge 15 night runners and kill 1... lol. The lack of rend hurts, their armour save isn't great (mystic shield was busy when they rang) I would try the Oldblood again but the big factor was they don't add anything to the army that something else cant do better, but I enjoyed them and like I said they are pretty cheap. Now the Stegadon actually surprised me I had the giant bow on it cos I wanted some shooting in the list and in combat its not that bad -3 rend is also very useful, it was a gd solid unit in all the games and with ability to teleport it (again such a cool ability) I really liked it however it is overshadowed by the next unit; the Bastiladon. In the new generals handbook I think 1 in a list is essential the first scenario duality of death I threw mystic shield and teleported it onto and objective, which I think its fair to say won me that game, and for 40pts more than a Stegadon its not a hard choice. Now in every game I found that its shooting attack even with the right constellation wasn't great not bad but not broken, I would defo take 1 just to camp on an objective and have some shooting.

And then finally the last unit I want to talk about the Rippers... omg I love rippers. Now placing that bloat toad doesn't happen until your 1st hero phase so you do get some idea where enemy units may be when your rippers engage them although towards the end of the event I think its safe to place the toads near an objective or in the center of the board. However they are very situational they are super duper amazing against anything with a 5+ save then they obviously get a lot worse against good save but its a dice game and making your opponent roll armour saves means they will fail some which is why I really like them, they murdered 30 skeletons in a turn which is always fun and then 3 rippers  killed a vermin lord deceiver on full wounds in a turn. The kind of downside is they die very quickly 5+ save that ignore -1 rend is okay at best, overall super cool unit that I would include in almost every list.   

So the army as a whole was a lot of fun to play the allegiance abilities make the army soooooo tactical being able to teleport units multiple times in one game is cool, making your opponent think about where you could be can be huge in game, as they could rush forwards to try and charge you and then bam ... not there anymore. I am strongly considering doing an army of them at some point in the future and this event gave me the opportunity to fine tune the list that I would take, overall seraphon are awesome and when people get armies painted I think we could see people doing very well with them at events. 

Allegiance: Seraphon

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
Skink Priest (80)
- Priestly Trappings

Battleline
15 x Saurus Guard (300)
- Seraphon Battleline
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

Units
6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)
5 x Chameleon Skinks (120)

Behemoths
Bastiladon (280)

Reinforcement Points (400)

Total: 1600 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

the last 400pts im not sure about I would like some for summoning and a balewind vortex, the idea of summoning a unit up to  30' away is sooo tempting and maybe some more saurus guard but seeing as you get 15 in a box I don't think I would add any more. hard to say with out playing the list #proxyarmy 

Archived