Let's chat: Garrek's Reavers

Killax

8 minutes ago, Biboune said:

I drop Mighty swing because it give your opponent more chances to defend: I don't need dicey attacks, I need successful attacks.

I have been replacing any cards that rely on a dice roll to work for the same reason.  I want everything in my hand to DO something when I play it, not have a chance at doing something.  There is already an element of chance in drawing appropriate cards, by them also needing a dice roll it slims those odds even more.

As an extension of this logic, I am trying to keep 'Reaction' cards to a minimum unless its something very common, no more than 2 or 3.  I keep trying to tell my friend this but he keeps playing games staring at a hand that he cant use, waiting for that one situation to come up.  Keep those card choices generic I say, especially for our poor Reavers.

PS this is not advice to you specifically Mr Biboune you seem to know what you're doing better than me, just something I was thinking about today rightly or wrongly.

1 hour ago, Karakas said:

I have been replacing any cards that rely on a dice roll

A thousand times this.

I have drawn a line. If I have to make a die roll for a card to work, it's not in my deck. Period.

Actions, activations, and cards are limited resources. I won't waste mine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biboune said:

I drop Mighty swing because it give your opponent more chances to defend: I don't need dicey attacks, I need successful attacks.

That is a totally valid argument against Mighty Swing, but it not quite that simple. When using Mighty Swing, your chances to hit a specific fighter (if you want to kill a specific guy) will drop, but the overall chances of scoring at least one successful attack with your fighter increases quite a lot.

For example, uninspired Saek uses Mighty Swing against two Liberators: Normally Saek would have 54% chance of a successul attack against any specific, uninspired Liberator. Due to the one support the Liberator gets, the chance to hit that one specific Liberator drops to 48%. However, instead of just the normal one attack action, Saek now gets two attack rolls against two different Liberators, meaning he has a 73% chance of hitting at least one of the target Liberators :) And if your first Mighty Swing attack happens to be a tie or a success, you can push/kill the Liberator and now the second Liberator doesn't have support anymore.

Still, if it's very important to hit a specific enemy fighter, then Mighty Swing makes it harder, yes. Mighty Swing also tends to leave your fighter in a vulnerable spot and might inspire Liberators. But personally I have had good success with Mighty Swing.

By the way, our decks look very similar!

The percentages I got from here, it takes critical symbols into account: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3828459/karl69?size=large
(there seems to be something wonky about how he calculated "Draw & DB" but otherwise I think it's correct)

How to read the table: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1880966/odds-success-table

Edited by NeverEasy

So I played a few games last night with an aggressive deck and one thing that was driving me mad was “score at the end of round 3” it objectives and getting constantly getting them round 1. Maybe its just bad luck, but its made me want to take all objectivea like that out and have a deck of scote immediately or at the end of the current round one. Anyone else found this?  

1 hour ago, Matt Large said:

So I played a few games last night with an aggressive deck and one thing that was driving me mad was “score at the end of round 3” it objectives and getting constantly getting them round 1. Maybe its just bad luck, but its made me want to take all objectivea like that out and have a deck of scote immediately or at the end of the current round one. Anyone else found this?  

I just checked and I dont have a single "score at the end of round 3" card in my Reavers deck. Well, except maybe for Annihilation since it's rare to score it before the third round. People usually don't like Annihilation, but I find it useful against Stormcast, Orruks and Fyreslayers.

But yeah, I don't like running cards like Conquest or Denial with the Reavers. Against defensive Stormcast (and defensive Fyreslayers too I guess) they would be good, otherwise meh. Sepulchral Guard are easy enough for Reavers even without those cards.

I had a look at the Blood for the Blood God deck in the library, and it has some weird Power card choices as well. Mainly Confusion and Wicked Blade.

Edited by NeverEasy
  • Like 1

On 22/02/2018 at 1:14 AM, Karakas said:

I have been replacing any cards that rely on a dice roll to work for the same reason.  I want everything in my hand to DO something when I play it, not have a chance at doing something.  There is already an element of chance in drawing appropriate cards, by them also needing a dice roll it slims those odds even more.

As an extension of this logic, I am trying to keep 'Reaction' cards to a minimum unless its something very common, no more than 2 or 3.  I keep trying to tell my friend this but he keeps playing games staring at a hand that he cant use, waiting for that one situation to come up.  Keep those card choices generic I say, especially for our poor Reavers.

PS this is not advice to you specifically Mr Biboune you seem to know what you're doing better than me, just something I was thinking about today rightly or wrongly.

I understand your point, but there is to my eyes 2 kinds of cards that rely on a dice roll:

1. -Those like Dailylight Robbery, and i agree with you concerning them (only Forceful Denial may be useful to counter an Earthquake: lot's of glory points at shake here).
  2. -Those like Last Chance, roll a dice to save a model. I see those like : re roll a failed defense roll + get most of the time better chances to be successful+ Switch an opponent's critical success roll by a single normal success roll+ your opponent can't play "You failed an attack, make another attack" (Tireless Assault or The Necromancer Commands for example).

For example: your opponent rolled 2 crits but Last chance lets you defend on single assist, double assist, shield, crits. He will be able to push you, that is true. With Rebound, he won't if you are successful.

Rebound is re rolling a 1/3 defense: this low success rate make its place in a deck open to debate. Boon of Khorne (+1 attack dice) may be better deal: a dead enemy model won't attack you, you often have the first charge, +1 dice helps to get crits to improve the damages of shadeglace upgrades, a successful attack helps to score Let's The Blood Flow, one of your dead model helps to score It Beguin and Khorne Care Not.

...ok, +1 attack dice seems to be a better deal. Still the face of your opponent when you play Rebound is a nice sight; i may not play it in competitive plays but just for fun.

1 hour ago, NeverEasy said:

I just checked and I dont have a single "score at the end of round 3" card in my Reavers deck. Well, except maybe for Annihilation since it's rare to score it before the third round. People usually don't like Annihilation, but I find it useful against Stormcast, Orruks and Fyreslayers.

But yeah, I don't like running cards like Conquest or Denial with the Reavers. Against defensive Stormcast (and defensive Fyreslayers too I guess) they would be good, otherwise meh. Sepulchral Guard are easy enough for Reavers even without those cards.

I had a look at the Blood for the Blood God deck in the library, and it has some weird Power card choices as well. Mainly Confusion and Wicked Blade.

I have 3 of them, it quite a lot. As you said, Conquest and Denial are here mostly against defensive stormcast, hoping he won't play Illusory Fighter to get in your territory.  

Is "Blood for the Blood God" deck pre new extensions? If it is, it is outdated: the reavers have a lot of better new cards now.

17 minutes ago, Biboune said:

Is "Blood for the Blood God" deck pre new extensions? If it is, it is outdated: the reavers have a lot of better new cards now.

It is.  But I dont have the latest packs yet so rolled with it.  Still getting my head round these cards let along two whole new packs worth! No idea 

17 minutes ago, Biboune said:

Yup.

By the way I agree on what you said about there being two kinds of cards. There are cards that do something on a roll (usually 50/50%) and there are cards that improve your odds of succeeding at something. I also tend to dislike the "50/50" cards but since Shadespire is mostly a game about maximizing odds (in my mind), I very much like the second kind of cards.

• Like 1

Here’s my first try with the new cards. Deck is a little large at 24, but I’m hoping I’ll get through them. Any comments?

Insensate
Fuelled By Fury
Curious Inversion
Rebound
Shattering Terrain
Earthquake
Duel Of Wits
Sidestep
Ready For Action
Mighty Swing
Skulls For The Skull Throne!
Momentary Madness

Helpful Whispers
Shifting Image
Grisly Trophy
Frenzy
Whirlwind Of Death
Berserk Charge
Awakened Weapon
Great Strength
Light Armour
Soultrap
Heroslayer
Shadeglass Axe

Supremacy
Conquest
Draw The Gaze Of Khorne
It Begins
Khorne Cares Not
Let The Blood Flow
Blood For The Blood God!
Escalation
Ploymaster
Master Of War
Superior Tactician
Precise Use Of Force

6 hours ago, Changer said:

Here’s my first try with the new cards. Deck is a little large at 24, but I’m hoping I’ll get through them. Any comments?

Insensate
Fuelled By Fury
Curious Inversion
Rebound
Shattering Terrain
Earthquake
Duel Of Wits
Sidestep
Ready For Action
Mighty Swing
Skulls For The Skull Throne!
Momentary Madness

Hi, when i look to your ploys i don't really see what is your plan. I think building a deck should be done with few goals like "more chances to do successful attacks", "save my models", "push enemy model out of objectives"

For example: Ready for Action is a free attack, Mighty Swing it also a kind of +1 (or 2) attack,  and Fueled by Slaughter could fit the same goal. Both Ready for Action and Fueled By Slaughter can be done after a successful attack done with Mighty Swing, having both of them in your deck double the chance of having the combo.

That why I am not sure that Sidestep is really good for the reavers: they have 4M, only Skavens are faster than them. It can be used to puss you fighter away from a enemy model, so he will have to charge you... Not so great in my opinion; he can charge you and kill you, you may get out of range of 1 enemy but may be not from another, bref sometime SideStep won't do anything important . If you want to save your model, Last Chance has 66% chances of doing that (another card like Rebound). If you want to mess with the opponent Hold Objective like cards, take Distraction (a second lesser Earthquake).

Another point is Heroslayer, i don't like this card but if you want to play it would make sens to take Blood Offering or Boon of Khorne. Right now you only have Fueled by Fury (Awakened Weapon and Light Armor are upgrade, they need other glory points so they are harder to play as a combo).

I think you can drop Duel of Wits and Skulls For The Skull Throne. I don't like those cards because you have to wait to draw extra cards but most of the time you need a ploy right now; your fighter are fragile and need stuff to assure their attacks. Rebound or Last Chance can save Saek, Duel of Wits can make you draw Rebound or Last Chance but Saek will be already dead.

In a other hand  if you want to build your deck around a combo, for example Shattering Terrain+Mighty Swing, you can use Duel of Wits and SFTST to drawn those cards,  take only 10 ploys otherwise it won't help you to draw the right cards. (by the way, Trap may be better than, or can be used with Shattering terrain).

Edited by Biboune

• 4 weeks later...

Took this out for a spin, hoping to get some more reps later this week.  I've been running objective or hybrid decks, and wanted to experiment with something a bit more aggressive.  Also, in full disclosure, this is a very lightly tweaked version of a deck that the Claim the City fellas suggested.  The core is built around a few powerful weapons and using the multiple options Reavers have for throwing more dice at those attacks to push through a big Heroslayer or Shadeglass Hammer.  First time out, went 12-8, 12-4 against an Orruk deck.  First up on the chopping block, I think, is rebound, quite possibly to be replaced by Last Chance (which could combo nicely with Light Armor) or Curious Inversion, which has offensive and defensive applications.  Not crazy about random ploys in general, but a 1 in 3 chance is really a reach, even though the effect is impressive.  Other things I wasn't crazy about- doubling down on enemy leader value with both A Worthy Skull and Victorious Duel.  Possibly replace the latter with Escalation?  Also considering the possibility of Making a Statement since the aggression is there, and I expect to be in enemy territory, but that suffers from having almost no positioning manipulation.  Happy to hear any thoughts!

• A Worthy Skull
  • Blood for the Blood God
  • Denial
  • It Begins
  • Let the Blood Flow
  • Master of War
  • Plant a Standard
  • Ploymaster
  • Precise Use of Force
  • Swift Advance
  • Supremacy
  • Victorious Duel

• Blood Offering
  • Earthquake
  • Fueled by Slaughter
  • Illusory Fighter
  • Insensate
  • Khorne Calls
  • Ready For Action
  • Rebound
  • Spoils of Battle
  • Trap

• Awakened Weapon
  • Daemonic Weapon
  • Frenzy
  • Great Strength
  • Heroslayer
  • Light Armor
  • Soul Trap
  • Shadeglass Darts
  • Shadeglass Hammer
  • Whirlwind of Death

So, played in my first tournament yesterday, went 1-2, and had a blast.  The day itself pretty much doubled my games played, and I will definitely be playing more / again.  Winning list was a stormcast one, that hung out on the back line, didn't move, and scored objectives for basically not doing anything.  From what I gather, it was a netlist, which suggests there's some discussion about how to beat it.   Can anyone give me some tips on how to beat it, or point me towards some online resources that would cover the topic?  I poked about, but didn't see anything obvious.  Will be sticking with the Reavers for now, they seem a blast to play.

Thanks!

FMB

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Can anyone give me some tips on how to beat it, or point me towards some online resources that would cover the topic?  I poked about, but didn't see anything obvious.

Sepulchral Guard can hang back better if they have the Objectives, but yeah this is a coinflip, for Garrek's Reavers I still feel that starter Stormcast are the worst match up to be honest :) However it seems to be changing when Magore's Fiends are out, who's Leader at least has Cleave.  To me Cleave is the key to beating starter Stormcast. Both Orruks and Sepulchral Guard builds have beaten them in the past because of it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

So, next question is whether there's any upgrades outside the starter that grant a cleave attack?

No not directly, I think the difficulty with Garrek's Reavers is that they don't have acces to something like it. Which isn't to say it might not be an Universal Upgrade in the upcomming two expansions offcourse... So far the most succes I have seen is still with the Upgrades such as Daemonic Weapon which can be a massive damage swing IF your opponent fails his defences. In addition to that thanks to movement options and swarming Garrek's Reavers do usually get a good chance to hit. 

But to be honest, it's been a few weeks since I played also, so I'm sure someone with better results from Garrek's Reavers could inlight you more! In all honesty I'm probably going to like playing Magore's Fiends sooner to see if this fufills my Cleave needs and general thougher bodies :D 

Newer Upgrades/Ploys I do still have to test are:
- Vampiric Weapon (mainly for Garrek but maby Saek)
- Curious Inversion
- Earthquake
- Legacy (only IF you play enough Universal Upgrades, but I think you will)

Though as above, it's been a while for me ;) 

Why is everyone ignoring Seak when talking about cleave? He has it inbuilt, once inspired. Throw Great Strength on him and/or use Trap to kill every fighter in the game with ease. Timetrap and Ready for Action combined with the amazing hit boosts Khorne has, generate enough attacks to make him a huge threat.

Karsus is insanely strong, too. Whirlwind of Death and/or Greate Strenght is so deadly on him, as he is the most precise fighters Khorn has to offer.

A SCE matchup still sucks though.

On 03/04/2018 at 9:02 AM, Killax said:

Newer Upgrades/Ploys I do still have to test are:
- Vampiric Weapon (mainly for Garrek but maby Saek)
- Curious Inversion
- Earthquake
- Legacy (only IF you play enough Universal Upgrades, but I think you will)

Though as above, it's been a while for me ;) 

Vampiric Weapon works nice with Deamonic Weapon but i prefer the Sahdeglass Hammer: i think it is just better, it breaks once it worked, Deamonic Weapon hurts when you use it and Targor, for example, won't be able to swing it twice.

I used to play full offense but I stopped for  the moment; everything goes right as long as you are not unlucky (I have been very unlucky in the last tournament I played... so unlucky...). It can work very well, against dodge bands. Against Orruks and Stormcast there are issues: Trap is the only card (without having to spend glory) letting you to one shot one of their models but they can one shot most of yours. Trying to get some glories thanks to non offensive objectives should be considered. I don't know what is the right balance.

SCE can be a pain: hard to reach, can also be reward to be played offensively but they have 5 less wounds than Orruks: they are dicey too.

Edit: May be i'll try Last Blow and Death Throes in order to deal the 1 damage needed against Orruks or Stormcast.

Edited by Biboune
  • Like 1

Experimental Total Carnage deck, totally fun deck to kill in the name of Khorne:

Objectives:

1. Advancing Strike
  2. Blood for the Blood God
  3. Masterstroke
  4. It Begins
  5. Draw the Gaze of Khorne
  6. Pure Carnage
  7. Khorne Cares Not
  8. Ploymaster
  9. Precise Use of Force
  10. Escalation
  11. Alone in the Darkness
  12. Khorne's Champion

Ploys:

1. Blood Offering
  2. Shardgale
  3. Death Throes
  4. Twist the Knife
  5. Ready for action
  6. Reflected Injury
  7. Last Chance
  8. Improvisation
  9. Trap
  10. My Turn
  11. Time Trap
  12. Duel of Wits

Upgrades:

1. Awakened Weapon
  2. Frenzy
  3. Incredible Strength
  4. Light Armor
  5. Soul Trap
  6. Unparalleled Strike
  7. Berserk Charge
  8. Great Strength
  9. Tethered Spirit
  10. Grisly Trophy
  11. Deathly Fortitude
  12. Shadeglass Spear

How's Ploymaster working for you? I'm thinking of cutting it from mine. Seems like decks in general, and Reaver combat decks especially are trending towards reactions which are powerful but may not get the opportunity to trigger.  I've struggled to score it sometimes, even with 3+ ploys in hand at the start of the action phase.

1 hour ago, Red_Zeke said:

How's Ploymaster working for you? I'm thinking of cutting it from mine. Seems like decks in general, and Reaver combat decks especially are trending towards reactions which are powerful but may not get the opportunity to trigger.  I've struggled to score it sometimes, even with 3+ ploys in hand at the start of the action phase.

I was sat holding too many reactions that I couldn't use so switched my power deck up, then decided to include Ploymaster and it's worked great. There's a couple of reaction cards I want to include from the new expansions so will have to be careful, not just for scoring Ploymaster as that may end up coming out, but because I was sat never getting through my power deck! Should be noted I have Duel of Wits and I usually score it in the round I play that

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering how Reavers have faired after the new sets have been out. 

I have a list in my head that I think may be good and/or fun. It's mostly an aggressive deck and greatly relies on models dying, friendly and enemy. I thought of the idea when i saw Pure Carnage. Pure Carnage is 3 glory and if you can manage to have your own warband dead by 3rd phase you'd only have to have 2 enemy fighters out of action. 

Other new cards which seem like they'd be good for Reavers are:

Twist the Knife, Shadeglass Dagger, Inspiration Strikes, Invisible Walls could be good defense,  Quick Thinker, Deathly Fortitude for defense, Incredible Strength can replace Whirlwind of Death as it can go on any fighter

In my mind I think it'd be funny to have the Reavers all die and have your opponent continue the game because you have objectives you can still score such as It Begins, Khorne Cares Not, and Pure Carnage.

• Like 2

@Anthony225 go for it! Im eager to know what will happen aswell. So far Ive been testing my luck with Magore's Fiends and have some form of crush on that Warband. As you said however I also do believe Inspiration Strikes can be a key asset to make Garrek's Reavers work. Going the aggressive Objective routes also seems like a smart idea, especially now.

Lastly my results with Reavers also always have been good on long boards! So here it's where I think I really like the mass pushes also! This also should sygn up well with keeping the distance as their prime advantage. One that only Skaven could beat but I do feel because we Inspire differently that mass board effects are easier to include for our decks.

Getting all your guys killed and claiming rewards is certainly what Garrek's Reavers seemed all about since the start and I honestly think this is still a very good plan.

19 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

I was wondering how Reavers have faired after the new sets have been out. 

I have a list in my head that I think may be good and/or fun. It's mostly an aggressive deck and greatly relies on models dying, friendly and enemy. I thought of the idea when i saw Pure Carnage. Pure Carnage is 3 glory and if you can manage to have your own warband dead by 3rd phase you'd only have to have 2 enemy fighters out of action. 

Other new cards which seem like they'd be good for Reavers are:

Twist the Knife, Shadeglass Dagger, Inspiration Strikes, Invisible Walls could be good defense,  Quick Thinker, Deathly Fortitude for defense, Incredible Strength can replace Whirlwind of Death as it can go on any fighter

In my mind I think it'd be funny to have the Reavers all die and have your opponent continue the game because you have objectives you can still score such as It Begins, Khorne Cares Not, and Pure Carnage.

I had fun with Pure Carnage Reavers and it works against most warbands (other than Steelheart). I would also run "Shardgale" because of your guys gonna die anyways but it even makes Targor a threat to a 4 health dude. Just make sure you don't lose guys too quickly or too "freely". Make them pay every time they spill blood!

• 2 weeks later...

Played my first tournament yesterday here in China (Shanghai), and took 1st place with Reavers with a fairly aggressive, I-live-I-die-I-live-again deck.

Local meta is fairly melee oriented, skewed towards Ironskull's Boyz and lots of reactions.

I played casually with a similar deck for the past couple months, but I was able to test this version only a couple of times since I included some of the latest warband cards.

The deck was built around 3 ideas:

1) Give up as little glory as possible, and wait for an opening to go in and score a ton. I don't have to charge turn one, so I included lots of cards that allow me to survive (last chance, rebound, insensate) and score without spilling blood (alone in the darkness, miracolous escape, master of war). Great concussion especially good to deny early glory vs objective grab... and why not, score alone in the darkness! Also, the glory must come in fast, therefore I have a ton of score immediately, plus superior tactician to hit a final KO in third end phase.

2) Everyone is expendable, aka the deck doesn't revolve around a single guy to win. I can actually lose Saek right away and still turn it around. Therefore, no fighter-specific upgrades (this also helps a lot with Escalation, Ready for Action, Master of War) except for Grisly Trophy which is simply game changing in certain match ups.

3) Multiple threats vs single doom combo. I took lot of flexible cards, and a lot of chained reactions that might happen in different order (example, fuelled by slaughter can go off on a offensive kill or on a kill suffered), as well as enough upgrades to make the lesser guys a threat (dagger, axe, extra dice, heck even the destiny to meet card is great... because now you can't ignore them)

The deck:

2     Blood for the Blood God!
6     Khorne Cares Not
234     Advancing Strike
235     Alone in the Darkness
252     Defensive Strike
253     Denial
257     Escalation
272     Master of War
273     Masterstroke
274     Miraculous Escape
284     Precise Use of Force
291     Superior Tactician

10     Blood Offering
15     Fuelled by Slaughter
16     Insensate
320     Duel of Wits
329     Great Concussion
336     Last Chance
348     Ready for Action
349     Rebound
368     Time Trap
372     Twist the Knife

24     Frenzy
25     Grisly Trophy
373     A Destiny to Meet
374     Acrobatic
376     Awakened Weapon
391     Great Strength
403     Light Armour
409     Shadeglass Axe
410     Shadeglass Dagger
424     Tethered Spirit

The tournament:

16 players: 2 Reavers (me included), 1 Magore, 1 Old Stormcast, 1 Farstriders, 1 Skaven, 2 Guard, 8(!) Orcs

4 matches, 1 game each. Win 3vp, draw 1vp, loss 0vp. Final ranking determined by vp>glory gap>total glory

First match random draw, then subsequent matchups based on ranking (banding of players with equal vp, and match top vs bottom, with rules for odd banding).

The games:

Game 1 against Orcs (melee with a lot of Orc ploys), 19-3

Quite uneventful, albeit very slow game. My opponent was using the Chinese cards for which I didn't need any translation (can recognize by the artwork, even though I play myself with the English version). Throughout the whole game I was reminding him of the rerolls (awakened weapon) that he was missing, as well as of drawing his additional objective after a score immediate, and in general trying to be a very fair opponent (although I shouldn't in a competitive setting, if you forget a push or a reroll it's your loss... but I don't want to be "that guy"). However... this guy basically demanded a translation from a TO for every single card I played. Kind of frustrated me when he asked a translation for Ready for Action, a card literally everyone has and everyone plays. Anyway, final score 19-3. I go check with the TO and my opponent reported a 9-3, allegedly to a "lost in translation". Got a recount and confirmed 19-3.

Game 2 against Magore, 20-0

With my first win I jump to Table 2. I face Magore, and initially I feel I'm going to struggle. However the opponent is somehow inexperienced, and makes several mistakes (biggest one, charging Magore in on his very first activation). I control the game, dance around his guys and pick them out one by one. 20-0 for Reavers. The opponent takes it like a champ and we spend the whole break chatting how he could improve his game.

Game 3 against Guard, 15-14(*)

Table 1, we both won the first 2 so we are basically playing for who gets a shot at the trophy.

He plays an objective grab / melee hybrid, slightly skewed towards the latter. I pick out a few of his guys and I keep scoring a ton of objective cards (one kill of his petitioner netted me 5 gp, with grisly trophy, precise use of force, advancing strike, and blood for the blood god). I eventually lose 4 guys. He uses his last activations to bring back guys and I remind him it's the last round and he says "yes, yes" so I just shut my mouth. In my power step before his 4th activation I use ready for action on my last guy (Arnulf) to move on the objective he needs to do supremacy and he that's where he loses it, starts yelling, asks for TO, etc. All along the game he tried to pull off a lot of "smartass" moves, such as charging by putting his champion on a blocked hex, charging me while using a double move from the warden (lol), trying to use ceaseless attacks to attack again with the same guy instead of another. All things that a guy ending up at table 1 should know don't work that way, but I guess his earlier opponent were a bit more naive. Each time I pointed out an illegal move he would backtrack, say "sorry sorry" and do something else. Anyway, then we go for the scoring and I'm sitting on a total of 17 vs 5 (I score Denial and Sup Tactician but I can't score Khorne Cares Not because of his ressing everybody and my 4 dead guys). He starts making a huge fuss insisting he thinks this was the end of the second round and there is still another round to play (despite the fact I was empty on all my decks...). I can't have it any longer so I tell the TO to let him have it his way: I tell him I will give up my Arnulf killed for free, without even rolling, so he can score the rest of his objective deck, doing denial, supremacy, and escalation. His 5gps, plus the kill and the objectives send him to 14. Losing Arnulf I'd lose a destiny to meet, down to 16. I tell him I can even give up denial, down to 13. I would, however, make Khorne Cares Not, back to 15. While he was realizing that he couldn't reach me even with a "free perfect round" and by scoring all the rest of his deck, I shook his hand, his face was quite priceless.

Game 4 against Orcs, 16-8

Still at Table 1, I end up playing vs... my brother. We are playing for the trophy and we perfectly know each other (playstyle, decks etc). The game goes on smooth, and I win thanks to a better deployment and some good defence dice. Saek, Karsus and Garrek cut his orcs to ribbons, and the game ends 16-8.

Overall results:

12vp (4-0-0), 70gp, +45gp delta. Took first place and all the goodies!

The tournament was a nice experience (besides the guy behavior on game 3, but we shook it and that was it). I feel people here focus way too much on the "cards" and not enough on their "choices / board placements". Also the meta was fairly aggressive, I would have probably suffered much more vs some turtle warbands.

Reavers kitted in this way are a ton of fun: no matter what you have tons of solutions to win, control, or come back.

Edited by themiro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1