Let's chat: Garrek's Reavers

Killax

@themiro

I really like your list build. It looks like a lot of fun to play with. In your opinion do you think it could be competitive going into an unknown meta? as in if you were to take it to a big tournament where you had no idea what anybody else would be playing. 

I would personally switch out rebound and tethered for something else as I do not chance cards, just a pet peave of mine. Also, how often do you score Denial? Would pure carnage be likely to be scored?

Edited by Anthony225

On 5/5/2018 at 3:45 PM, Anthony225 said:

@themiro

I really like your list build. It looks like a lot of fun to play with. In your opinion do you think it could be competitive going into an unknown meta? as in if you were to take it to a big tournament where you had no idea what anybody else would be playing. 

I would personally switch out rebound and tethered for something else as I do not chance cards, just a pet peave of mine. Also, how often do you score Denial? Would pure carnage be likely to be scored?

Try to give it a couple of plays, it's a deck that needs some practice. However, I think it can go and fight into an unknown meta because it has lots of options and is not too draw-dependant.

Rebound can be swapped for Trap, Tethered Spirit is a 50~50 but dissuades the opponent from going after someone crucial (e.g. especially Saek/Karsus if you stack other upgrades like Acrobatic, or one of the weaker fighters if you give them A Destiny to Meet).

All in all, I'd say I score Denial 60% of the time. I use it as an "Annihlation light". If I table the opponent = I make denial, if I crush him on his territory = I make denial.

Not a fan of Pure Carnage, in many matchups it is simply not going to work (against ress factions or small number factions) which makes it highly likely only vs Magore or Orruks. In those match ups in order to make 7 dead people it means that you tabled the enemy and lost 3-4 of yours, so you'd eventually make denial instead in all those scenarios. It can be a fun stunt to pull off if you lose all your guys and chip away 2 enemies and you drop Khorne Cares not and Pure Carnage in the End, but probably you gave away SO MANY glory points already...

2 hours ago, themiro said:

Try to give it a couple of plays, it's a deck that needs some practice. However, I think it can go and fight into an unknown meta because it has lots of options and is not too draw-dependant.

Rebound can be swapped for Trap, Tethered Spirit is a 50~50 but dissuades the opponent from going after someone crucial (e.g. especially Saek/Karsus if you stack other upgrades like Acrobatic, or one of the weaker fighters if you give them A Destiny to Meet).

All in all, I'd say I score Denial 60% of the time. I use it as an "Annihlation light". If I table the opponent = I make denial, if I crush him on his territory = I make denial.

Not a fan of Pure Carnage, in many matchups it is simply not going to work (against ress factions or small number factions) which makes it highly likely only vs Magore or Orruks. In those match ups in order to make 7 dead people it means that you tabled the enemy and lost 3-4 of yours, so you'd eventually make denial instead in all those scenarios. It can be a fun stunt to pull off if you lose all your guys and chip away 2 enemies and you drop Khorne Cares not and Pure Carnage in the End, but probably you gave away SO MANY glory points already...

I like trap. What are your thoughts on Inspiration strikes? Could be good to inspire someone early before 3 fighters go down. I honestly keep looking at Magore's Fiends and Skaven, but this build looks like a ton of fun. And I think the Reavers look really cool aesthetically. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2018 at 3:59 PM, Anthony225 said:

I like trap. What are your thoughts on Inspiration strikes? Could be good to inspire someone early before 3 fighters go down. I honestly keep looking at Magore's Fiends and Skaven, but this build looks like a ton of fun. And I think the Reavers look really cool aesthetically. 

I am a min-maxing kind of guy, so I think Inspiration Strikes is a bit wasteful on Reavers given how our inspiration mechanic works, especially if drawn in the mid-late phase of the game. If drawn earlier it can be really a nasty surprise for the opponent, but again, I don't like to depend on draw order.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I had some succes with this deck: https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,234,2,243,246,249,3,N305,306,273,257,284,274,374,384,N140,N505,391,25,N529,420,403,424,409,332,N131,320,336,348,368,369,19,361,329,321

It is built on immediate objectives, some of them don't require successful attacks like Blood for the Blood God, Cover Ground or Coward (as long as Quick Thinker is almost an auto included).

I don't think it can win a tournament but it can still scores a good amount of glory pretty fast and please Khorne. 

• 1 month later...

so 2019 is the year!!

I am running the local Underworlds league  at my friendly local GW and I want to bring a warband that has enough NOT going for it that i can play fairly hard against even a newer person and not demolish them outright.....and what better warband then the Greavers.

That being said i still want to do relatively well against all comers so i think it needs to be a strong deck. With the restricted list out and about for a while now....what are our thoughts about the best forms of the Greavers. With limitations on +dmg ploys and shadeglass weapons, do we go mobile shenanigans for objectives? Do we double down of things like trap and twist the knife to go full potato aggro? Is there a sweet spot in the middle?

Lets start this post ban-list conversation, because nothing feels better then winning with an underdog.

• Like 1

As you know, the Greavers have been hit hard by the BAR list. as described in the katoprhane relic article, the gang lacks of ways to quickly kill enemy models. IMO, shadeglass hammer and shadeglass knife still a must in a deck like this. without them the attack power of the warband would be too small to hold up a comparison with warbands like magore's and stormcast that can be easy-one shot your best fighters. also the voidstone sword seems to me an excellent weapon given the great presence of wizards. the ploys I recommend are all those that give you extra attack dices. the charges must obligatorily be successful as the warbands are composed of glass cannons. moreover, more score immediatley objectives can be better inserted. if you do not take a good lead from the first round the game will be very hard.

What do you think :)? 

• 3 months later...

Hey chaps, just had my first couple of games with the reavers. I had a good close game against the thorns, but got absolutely crushed vs orruks.  I was struggling to get glory rolling because I needed upgrades to be able to take them out for glory, but needed glory for those upgrades! What objectives do people tend to use for the reavers? 

• 6 months later...

Are these guys at all competitive currently? I know they were kind of a “sleeper” warband and they one a rather recent big tourney. But with the rotation they lost about 15 cards that made their good build good. I’ve tried making a list, but I start struggling to find cards after only getting halfway through deck building.