Let's chat: Garrek's Reavers

Killax

37 minutes ago, gmulroney said:

What are your guys’ thoughts on Flickering Image? I like it in concept on Karaus because he throws enough dice to get the crit, and is great to hit a guy, push him off an objective and steal it. Or hit a guy and run away to force them to charge. But in practice I haven’t seen it get much use

Have used it on Brightshield and it's fun but not terribly consistent. Most of the time there are better upgrades to include over it. Shadeglass Darts comes to mind but even Soultrap or Shardcaller will usually be better. Though all I want in reality on our guys is a better offensive output so that all attacks will start to matter and thus we obtain more out of superior movement.

As with all cards though deck context does matter and for sure it's cool in a casual game. The thing is though that because of the speed I never felt like Flickering Image was that much needed on Reavers. It is certainly true that you potentially force your opponent to Move/Charge in order to catch Karsus but he allready kind of has that advantage due to his range 2 attack.

Edited by Killax

Played in a small (4 player) local tournament  at the weekend and ended up winning it by going 5-0 with my Reavers with a total of 69 Glory over those 5 games. My deck list was

Spoiler

Objective

Hold objective 1-5

Supremacy

Determined Defender

Denial

Contain

Ploymaster

Draw the Gaze of Khorne

Let the Blood Flow

Power Deck

Frenzy

Great strength

great fortitude

Soultrap

Grisly Trophy

Whirlwind of Death

Daemonic Weapon

Shadeglass Darts

Helpful Whispers

Disengage

Insensate

TimeTrap

Sprint

Shattering Terrain

Blood Offering

Khorne Calls

Illusory Fighter

Daylight Robbery

Sidestep

Distraction

Without going into too much detail Ill give the gist of the games and how I think I won.

Round 1, Game 1 vs Guard. He had 3 objectives so I set the board length ways such that his starting hexes were at least 3 hexes to getting into my territory. This is pretty key for 2 reasons. 1) He cant charge me on turn 1 but I can charge him. 2) makes it easier to score denial and conquest as he cant get to my territory till turn 2 and I can block the no mans land territory with my fighters turn 2/3 and drive him back into his territory. Ill lose on the objective game but score big on the territory fight and can maybe get supremacy with a cheeky distract/sprint combo or something like that. Also I will typically not kill early except for petitioners with the harvester or champ going down late 2 early 3 to ensure denial/conquest. 

And thats pretty much what happened, some early position jockying, Turn 1. Some conservative charges backed up with Illusory fighter or time trap for hit and runs. Turn 2 Block my territory and send garrek into his for objective harass/as bait. Turn 3 hit his better fighters and keep everything contained. I score 2 hold objectives, supremacy, denial, contained, determined defender, ploymaster and have a few kills for a total of 17

Game 2 I have 3 objectives and he sets up the board very similarly to Game 1. Again I deploy such that he cant make charges Turn 1 but I can. I sit Targor, Karsus and Arnulf on my objectives. I had last activation so I charged Saek into his turf to push (not kill) the Prince of Dust off an objective. I score 3 or 4 Glory to his 1 Turn 1 and critically attach Soultrap and Great Strength to Saek. He goes first and just moves some guys then I go with Saek and charge the Warden which he just doesnt see coming. Movement 4 was just messing with him the whole time. The Warden has support but Saek cuts him down and my opponent concedes. We kind of play out the last turns to figure out total glory and it ended in a 14-1 win to me.

Round 2, Game 1 vs Guard again. I get three objectives and he places the board in the same way as my previous two games. Hes playing a lot more aggressively than the previous Death player by moving into my territory but still cant charge turn 1. I score a lot of Glory from objectives and gear up Garrek and Saek. I take the fight back to him and also manage to keep him in his turf. He does manage a fair amount of scoring from objectives and moving things with the final score being 12-6.

Game 2 he gets the three objectives and I set up the boards as before (turns out Death players really like the board with the 3 adjacent blocked hexes...) He plays aggressively again while also taking the objectives. I charge Garrek deep into his territory to start killing petitioners with Grisly Trophy. He Reacts and moves to counter Garrek but he lives and in turn 3 charges back out towards my territory and blocking him from moving into my turf. He eventually gets garrek, saek and karsus but uses activations to kill them rather than moving. I last activation heroic charge from arnulf pushes the prince back into his turf so I get Denial and contain. A cheeky Insensate means that the Warden cannot even kill Arnulf in return. This was a tough match and the best game of the day with a final score of 13-8.

Round 3 with only 4 of us we decided to play a 4 player game to round off the day. So much went on I wont get into it but essentially I beat up on my second round opponent who was sandwiched between everyone and won with a total of 13 glory. Plenty of trickery and betrayal in that game, it was fantastic.

And thats that Reaver friends, any questions or more details on how my deck works or anything just drop me a line! 

• Like 1

I use it offensively to take objectives. Charge in, hope for a success, drive them back and push onto an objective. In an ideal situation. Its almost like a 2 point swing in points, you deny them an objective and you score one. Ill try to do this as my last activation in a round so as not to give the trick away. Very useful if I only have two objectives in my territory. Can also be useful for finishing off an enemy fighter with one wound with arnulf or targor, two hammers is better than two swords or if you need that one extra hex to scoot into enemy territory to deny Conquest or Denial. It doesnt come up all the time but its nice to have for that long bomb objective grab.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it the card that said "action: puss everyone around"? I think the only think that would make it usefull it a FAQ saying it is "attack action: puss everyone around". Shattering terrain would be ...not bad with it.

Right now with Time trap, it would only be able to push somone out of your territory (Denial) or an objectif; but you can't play it in the last activation so they would still have chances to get back here they were.

I think Time trap has better use than making a quite useless uprgrade little less useless.

10 hours ago, Red_Zeke said:

Anyone using Karsus' Terrifying Howl? Can't quite wrap my head around it. Best I can come up with is to combo with Time Trap.

No because it's simply not good enough. Same applies for me and the option to charge through models. We've got the movement, we've got Illusory Fighter and Time Trap so we've got the options to reach them.

Pushing adjacent fighters for an Action is very niche and actually doesn't really synergize all to well with him anyway. The card would have been much more interesting if it simply gave Knockback.

Reporting, with updates to this post to follow. 

Game #1 of my Reavers vs. Orruks.  I lost 13 to 1.

Game #2 I won 13 to 3.

Game #3 Tie 6-6

She won based on tie-breakers.

The lesson:

Remove cards that count on combined effort.  Stick to straightforward stuff.

Edited by Sleboda

Took part in an 8 player event this past Sunday. It was an interesting format, we all played each other once and totaled our glory for every game, adding 3 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss. The player with the most amount of glory at the end of the day was the winner. I managed to take it home with Reavers, 7 wins and a total glory of 109, 2nd was Orukks with 73 glory and SG with 68 glory, Of the other participants there was 1 SG, 2 SCE, 2 Orruks.

It was a great day with some fantastic people. I'm really looking forward to the league season coming up particularly if this is the caliber of players coming out for shadespire. I was also voted Best Painted which was absolutely the highlight of the day. I can remember the specifics of games but if anyone has questions about general match ups or how a game went down fire away.

The deck I used was almost the same as the one posted above with some minor tweaks:

Spoiler

Objective

Hold objective 1-5

Supremacy

Determined Defender

Denial

Contain

Ploymaster

Blood for the Blood God

Let the Blood Flow

Power Deck

Frenzy

Great strength

great fortitude

Soultrap

Grisly Trophy

Whirlwind of Death

Daemonic Weapon

Shadeglass Darts

Helpful Whispers

Disengage

Insensate

Shardfall

Sprint

Shattering Terrain

Blood Offering

Khorne Calls

Illusory Fighter

Daylight Robbery

Sidestep

Distraction

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Two more games against Orruks.  New player who never used them before.

10-4

12-4

Orruks win just by moving ahead and fighting.

May be you should show us your deck, and may be the orruk's deck. In an another hand, you were trying the SGuard before; the reavers are faster but just as fragile as the skellies.

Reavers need to score some glory with hold objectives or supremacy, then getting most of the weapon upgrades you can get (low blow, the glass sword, deamonic weapon,  the darts, disengage) them focussing every one on one target until it's dead. You have 2 main targets, the orruk boss and the other one fighting with the axe. Your better mouvement (and side step and distraction), help you to make some of his fighter unable to charge any of yours.

Insansate and illusuonary fighter help to "save" one of your fighter after a charge.

Try to get every one on one side of the board, far from 2 or 3 of the orruks, play objectives (even determined defender or plant a standard), charge isolated orruks.

Conquest, swift advance (the objective card scoring when you are in ennemy teritory), don't focus only on the fight.

If it doesn't work, really try the stormcast: you seem to have problems against the orruks from sometime now and they can't (without ploys or upgrades) oneshot a stormcast. You will have another distraction like card, another great fortitude, a ploy to deal +1 damage to oneshot them, aohter to re roll failed attacks...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Goblin-King said:

Congratulations! 
I do wonder if counting total glory is a good way to determine the winner?
I think I would prefer just counting wins - then using total glory to settle any ties.

No its not, and best of three is definitly a more robust tournamnet system then just one game. The store manager was just trying something out with the goal of all of us getting to meet and play each other which was quite successful id say!

@Biboune

Oddly enough, you analysis is almost exactly what I did last night.  Focus on the two tough guys, get objectives to power the upgrades, etc.

My deck:

Soultrap

Great Strength

Daemonic Weapon

Berserk Charge

Bloodslick

Frenzy

Whirlwind of Death

Great Fortitude

Grisly Trophy

Ever-advancing

Shardfall

Boon of Khorne

Distraction

Final Blow

Time Trap

Confusion

Fuelled By Slaughter

Insensate

Illusory FIghter

Khorne Calls

Hold 1-5

Supremacy

It Begins

Khorne Cares Not

Blood for the Blood God!

Denial

A Worthy Skull

Conquest

The Orruck deck that we have all been using:

Daemonic Weapon

Coordinated Attack

Brutal Swing

Waaagh!

Great Strength

Helpful Whispers

Unkillable

Legendary Swiftness

Shadeglass Sword

Brutal But Kunnin'

Shardfall

More Choppin'

'Avin' a Good Time

Deafening Blow

Pillage

Shattering Terrain

Sprint

Gorkamorka's Blessing

Kunnin But Brutal

Swift Advance

Too Dumb to Die

'Ard as Iron

Punch-up

Ploymaster

Biggest an' da Best

Dead Kunnin'

Brawl

Call of the Waaagh!

Denial

Conquest

Contained

My 2 cents would be to have the shadeglass sword and darts in your deck as weapons for Targor and Arnulf, helpful wispher. I am not very fan of Garek's  uprgrades: he is the worst leader and his upgrades don't make him better at killing but less fragile.

I like blood offering: you need to hit when you attack because you won't have another chance most of the time. I also like Shattering Terrain, with it Saek can oneshot an orruk (he will suffer 1 damage ok, 2 with blood offering... well I think it is ok, and you have Boon of Khorne for something), with distraction it deals 1 damage (+last blow, it can end another orruk) etc.

You try to score denial against a band who wants to go to contact and to score conquest itself, it would be better against the guard for exemple. Let's the glood flow is nice: you don't need to kill a orruk to score it, it is immediate... with weapon upgrades (low blow is nice too to finish someting), blood offering etc. it makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey. Recently got the game, so I've only played a few matches. 

The internet consensus seems to be that The Reavers are the weakest faction, however as new expansions and new cards keep coming out, it could help them if GW prints cards that strenghthen a existing strategy or enables a new one.  So if we may indulge in some wishful thinking: 

What are some made-up cards that would help the Reavers?

3 hours ago, Eldrait said:

What are some made-up cards that would help the Reavers?

Basically any Cleave upgrade.

Reavers do great against Sepulchral Guard. Have about equal chances against Orruks when played well enough and extreme difficulties with Stormcast, or at least this is my perception of it.

Having said that though the spectrum of where they are good against will likely grow. As I doubt Fyreslayers or Skaven will have double Shield defences.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8.1.2018 at 5:26 PM, Killax said:

Having said that though the spectrum of where they are good against will likely grow. As I doubt Fyreslayers or Skaven will have double Shield defences.

But Khorne Warriors and the other SC warband will most likely have shield defences (the Khorne doggo might have dodge though), so this might equal out again in the long run.

1 hour ago, Hesa_First said:

But Khorne Warriors and the other SC warband will most likely have shield defences (the Khorne doggo might have dodge though), so this might equal out again in the long run.

I sure hope so. In general I havn't played Shadespire this month but will hope to look into it again with the new Warbands.

To be honest the whole Errata stuff and card wording alterations raise too much questions for me personally to give it a try at the local scene again.

The fact that Sep Guard can now bring back the same model twice and get inspired while stopping Reavers at Inspiring at the same time just irks me too much aswell.

Edited by Killax

I agree that GW FAQs and Erratas are in general poorly written and inconsistent. But it is not as bad as for example X-Wing FAQs where the exact same wording is ruled in different ways, 20% of cards are completely reworked, etc.

I still enjoy Shadespire and in in particular Bloodreavers. But as You said SCE are a really tough matchup. With basically only an upgraded Seak and upgreaded inspired Garrek being able to one shot any SCE (sorry Karsus, two Upgrades on a 3HP fighter are just not worth it most times, please understand) games can be tought. One might say this is true for Orruks, but with only their leader dealing 3 Damage (or inspred Bonecutter, but if You swing on him You should have a plan to kill him before he strikes back), those are not that dangerous to Reavers imo.

I expect Bloodreavers to become one of the strongest factions with the release of Skaven and Fyreslayers, too. Powercreep might come in the way though, as Skaven might be able to utilise their numbers and Speed better than Reavers.

• 2 weeks later...

I personnaly find the Orruk much more harder to fight than the stormcast.

Why ? because number. At 3V5 you have a real numerical superiority against the stormcast, and can play on it. When you take down one of them, the game become much easier.

The orruk are just one guy less, and are offensively insane, with some of the best card in the game, and LOT of free move. Throwing 2/3 upgrade on the boss is actually enough for him to delete the whole khornate warband.

It can be worth it to sacrifice two guys to take down a stormcast. Against an orruk, you can't. Even their two bad fighters can mean trouble

4 hours ago, ledha said:

I personnaly find the Orruk much more harder to fight than the stormcast.

Why ? because number. At 3V5 you have a real numerical superiority against the stormcast, and can play on it. When you take down one of them, the game become much easier.

The orruk are just one guy less, and are offensively insane, with some of the best card in the game, and LOT of free move. Throwing 2/3 upgrade on the boss is actually enough for him to delete the whole khornate warband.

It can be worth it to sacrifice two guys to take down a stormcast. Against an orruk, you can't. Even their two bad fighters can mean trouble

Stormcast can reliably oneshot Reavers. 2 models can oneshot 80% of the poor Reavers and Miss Brightshield can still kill Arnulf and Targor with one blow (plus upgrades and ploys can boost her to dmg 3 with ease). Their stats and ploys make them extremely precise. And loosing Seak and/or Karsus early against stormcasts is very painful.

Orruks only have one model with dmg 3, thus being able to kill Seak and Karsus in one blow. Bonecutter has  only dmg 2 and he is even far less reliable than Brightshield with only two dice. Hakka and Basha only have dmg 1 and two attack dice with the sword characteristic. That means for a great deal of the game you are basically facing only two potent fighters, that are not nearly as scary as stormcasts.

And while the Orruks have some cards letting them move, stormcasts are experts at pushing. Peal of thunder, Heroic stride etc. do almost the same thing regarding threatrange/positioning but can additionaly destroy the Reavers objective hold game.

Maybe the ones playing Orruks in Your area are just better players than the ones playing Stormcasts. But generally speaking I would say Stormcasts are a much much harder matchup for Reavers.

Edited by Hesa_First
typo