Pale Orcs (Tale of X gamers)

StuG

So In my shop we are doing a tale of X gamers. We will be sharing our proggression together via our FB social group but I thought I'd share some of my progress as we go on.

I have been drawn to Bonesplitterz for a while but a bit put off by potential model count. But having just finished the drama of painting Nagash an Infantry horde is quite welcome and if all goes well I may plan to add a stone Golem in at the end to take my list up to 2k at the end of the year.

I really like the look of Arzog the pale orc from the Hobbit. large.Azog_the_Defiler.jpg.491bf4507ec5ce2eda3b7112499751ac.jpg

So the paint scheme should be straight forward by glazing a thin layer of rakarth flash and then washing, rubbing at the extremities to 'cheat' a gradient highlight effect. I know this will work in theory but I'm worried that there won't be enough contrast against the light bone colour too. The stone parts (weapons etc), i'm not worried about because they will be painted black to make them look obsidian.

I love the contrast of red blood against light white, this always looks quite striking and so wanted to lean heavily towards red in regards to their tattoos.

Fluff wise I can justify this by doing the Drakkfoot clan; "The Drakkfoot Warclan hunt their prey among the sprawling Gorelkes of the Ashlands of Aqshy. The lakes are a relic of the Dark Gods dominion over the land, and each crimson pool bubbles and boils with slain souls. The Drakkfoot Orruks use the glowing red blood of the Gorelakes to paint beast tattoos on their bodies, its strange magic mixing with their ambient Waagh! power.

We officially start on Monday so cant throw myself into it yet but here is my first test model which i'm fairly happy with. I want to change the basing slightly so it looks like actual blood inbetween the cracks of the Martian Ironearth. So that needs some work.

large.59d8c1cc3783b_Photo06-10-2017161119.jpg.b853c9a573b7db81ce673cbff65ad415.jpg

I really like your test model, the pale colour looks great. I think i once saw ‘white orcs’ mentioned on a empire map in 6th ed of WFB.

I would suggest adding more contrast by also using dark colors for the cloth, leather and fur parts. Dark Browns, black and deep reds could all work. 

Yea darker in the cloth to create more Contrast makes perfect sense, I'll probably just runa few more washes over it.

It looks like a stained figure because it is. I'm not going for any painting awards with this force just quick and effective. Thanks for the feedback guys I'll be adding more as the Tale progresses. If I end up with a half decent but different looking Bonesplitterz Army at the end of this, then mission accomplished.

For this week I need to get the basing technique I will be rolling out down, Paint up my first 10 Arrowboys and make my konverted Azog (Wazog maybe?)

So,

First week went fairly well. Got to Wednesday and realised I'd be busy over the weekend running a Bolt Action narrative day at the store and then attending Warlord games birthday event on Sunday so had to cram it in on Thursday but I've met this weeks goals so all good.

As I'm starting with a Kunniun Rukk for my first 1k I knew I'd have to have a savage boss, so wanted to convert him a bit as a nod to the pale orc from the Hobbit (not too much as I could just buy GW's Hobbit one if that was the case anyway. But here's how he went:

59e3003dbe085_Photo13-10-2017100331.jpg.2b443df3a7523f8f9ad18072e1b0ded7.jpg

Tale of X.jpg

Photo 07-10-2017, 14 49 39.jpg

Photo 07-10-2017, 17 06 52.jpg

Photo 07-10-2017, 17 30 00 (1).jpg

And my goal of doing the first ten was achieved too, they did go from being Pale Orruks to just somewhat pale Orruks, but I'm still happy with the way they look overall. 

The bases went well too according to the fluff; the Drakkfoot Warclan hunt monsters in the realm of Aqshy through the Gore Lakes (stinks of Khorne) and so I wanted the bases to reflect that. It's also no secret that I love the technical paint Blood for the Blood God, so an excuse for using it as a basing material was great for me:

"The Drakkfoot Warclan hunt their prey among the sprawling Gorelkes of the Ashlands of Aqshy. The lakes are a relic of the Dark Gods dominion over the land, and each crimson pool bubbles and boils with slain souls. The Drakkfoot Orruks use the glowing red blood of the Gorelakes to paint beast tattoos on their bodies, its strange magic mixing with their ambient Waagh! power."

59e3012a6e65e_Photo14-10-2017180754.jpg.81c1a05d16c76cdc37f0a0556d6b4b32.jpg

59e3014412d16_Photo14-10-2017180804.jpg.137adf44163d6fc18b4705818a157bef.jpg

So,

Managed to finish Wazog this week and batted out another 10 Arrowboyz.

I'm on my hols at the end of next week so am setting myself the simple task of doing one big stabba.

On my return I'll be doing another 10 boyz and I'll do a step by step on the process then.

Photo 21-10-2017, 12 02 04.jpg

Photo 21-10-2017, 12 02 12.jpg

Photo 21-10-2017, 12 02 27.jpg

Photo 21-10-2017, 12 02 38.jpg

Photo 21-10-2017, 15 23 51.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been away last week so I only set myself the task of a big stabba unit. I'm planning on having a few units and will probably convert a few to vary it up a bit in future.

Next week will be another 10 Arrow dudes, I might do a step by step for the skin as it's been requested and it's super easy.

Photo 06-11-2017, 11 35 07.jpg

OK this week I have managed to do (you guessed it) another 10 arrowboys but also a Wurgog Prophet.
My aim was to just get him assembled this week but I got carried away and finished him straight up.

This may have had something to do with the 4 way Triumph and Treachery game we played on Thursday. It was 1k pts and I was so close to finishing my first 1k I nearly had them finished for that actual game.

So as it stands now we currently have:

- Savage Big Boss (squirmy Warpaint, Glowin Tattooz) - 120 pts
- Wurgog Prophet (Savage Trophy, Squiggly Curse) - 140 pts

- 20 Arrowboyz (drums and stuff) - 240 pts
- 20 Arrowboyz (drums and stuff) - 240 pts
- 2 Big Stabbaz - 100 pts

- Kunnin Rukk - - 160 pts
---------------------------------- 1000 pts --------------------------------------

Next week I aim to do a unit of savage boar boys (no idea how i am goin to do the boars) and convert my wierdnob on boar with the Wurgog mask (hence why my current prophet is converted)

Photo 20-11-2017, 12 41 37.jpg

Photo 20-11-2017, 13 04 11.jpg

Photo 16-11-2017, 15 57 12.jpg

Photo 16-11-2017, 16 54 39.jpg

2 hours ago, StuG said:

The Plastic ones are slightly bigger but even they are dwarfed by the fat ass Orruks on top of them. But the thunderwolf cavalry from 40k could work perhaps ..

Even better, they look more massive and imposing anyway. Looking forward to see what you are going for! 

Archived