How to win a Golden Demon.

Ben

4 hours ago, James McPherson said:

Says the guy that painted Gordrakk on foot and won a Slayer Sword and GD! ;)

Seriously though,  as DL says in this vid,

He states they want entries that reinforce the AOS background, so does that mean the fastest/easiest/most reliable way to do that is choose current minis and the newest stuff?

Obviously your painting has to be incredible as well, which yours is, but you also made a shrewd and clever choice by choosing a 'winning' model from the off.

Is there any advice you can give when choosing a single mini category model to paint Martin?

It wasn't so much a shrewd move. Certainly not a conscious tactical choice. 

I just loved the Gordrakk miniature but didn't like his lettuce dragon so ended up selling that bit off. 

And that's the key. Paint something that excites you and you will enjoy. If it becomes a chore then you won't put everything into it, 

What Darren meant was that a mini needs to scream the system it represents. Lots of minis don't really epitomise the universe they are from. If you are deviating too far from the IP and imagery of games workshops systems then it will lose marks, regardless of how good it is. 

The "old world" was represented in the awards along with the AOS stuff though. The nurgle Lord, empire duel and goblin bust springs to mind. 

Entering the latest shiny isn't really that much of an advantage I've found. Bare in mind that the judges will have been looking at these "latest releases" for about 2 years while they are in development so in their own words "they are all old stuff to us!" 

Cool that is good to know , I stand corrected :) I guess it's easy to form a misconception about something when you only observe from a distance and don't participate. Armchair critic and all that. 

Did you have a particular forum/website you went on a lot to get critiques from your peers? Like Putty and Paint or CMON or something? I've found people are super keen to help on CMON, and the standard is so high. I want to improve as well and try and compete one day. 

3 hours ago, James McPherson said:

Cool that is good to know , I stand corrected :) I guess it's easy to form a misconception about something when you only observe from a distance and don't participate. Armchair critic and all that. 

Did you have a particular forum/website you went on a lot to get critiques from your peers? Like Putty and Paint or CMON or something? I've found people are super keen to help on CMON, and the standard is so high. I want to improve as well and try and compete one day. 

It is easy to criticise but I've found that the people who are most vocal negatively about Golden Demon are people that are nowhere near that level of competition. (Not saying that's you btw!) 

They dont understand the basic fundamentals of it and subsequently they attack it. Just look at the furore over Max Faleij winning gold (quite rightly) in the open category back in May as a prime example. One persons incorrect assumptions and lack of knowledge snowballed with people jumping on the Twitter bandwagon to bash the evil corrupt GW. I didn't see any of the top painters having a pop (ya know the ones that would actually be more likely to suffer from such skullduggery) as they understand how the competition works. 

The painting community in the U.K. know the score and are really gracious in defeat. I spent 5 long years between my awards, GD2011 -WHF2016. That's 5 years of narrowly missing out but desperate to be back on the stage again. I hope that if you spoke to anyone about how I reacted to those results they would say that I was positive and wished the winners well. That I learned a great deal from it and came back a stronger painter, and after all that's what this games all about. 

I'm not on CMON or P&P. I'm toying with the idea of registering but I've never really felt the urge. 

I have an Instagram page that I post all my WIPs on and sometimes post on the eavier metal Facebook page but that's it.

I have a few people that I have met through the painting scene that I speak to directly about projects and ideas but none of that chat is public forum. 

The best people to speak to are the judges themselves. Who better to tell you where you went wrong than the people who actually judge these things. My advice is get entering, get inspired from having your models alongside some of the best in the world and get the feedback to improve for the next one. 

Its a blast, I love it and it's strangely addictive! 

thanks, Eavier Metal on Facebook is inspiring, some top painters, am often salivating over stuff on there.

I'm starting off with trying to get my average scores to the high 7's on CMON , just that in itself would be an achievement for me.

At the moment I still get rookie things wrong like the wrong paint consistencies , brush marks and bits of detritus or hairs stuck in my paint / layers.

@Ben can we start a 'resources' thread/list for aspiring painters?

Am learning 2 brush blending after watching Mike Mcvey's cool intro vid on youtube on how to feather layers in with the two brush technique, so gradually getting better with that, that is one vid worth sharing it's so simple and well explained.

Really interesting to read that the overall concept does influence the final decision by the margin it does.  I do think that since the introduction of the smaller demons we've also had a bit of a "changing of the guard" when it comes to the people marking the models - having top class painters make the decisions has meant some of those decisions have been less controversial.

I've entered a few GD's over the years (no pins or anything) and the biggest thing I picked up is that the model needs to be visually stunning at all distances under all lighting set ups.  Prior to AoS most of my miniatures were painted fairly subtly so when poked into a glass cabinet with halogen lights they largely became a muted grey blob!  This is why you tend to see bold colours making an appearance as it draws the eye in and then you can see the more subtle nuances on flesh etc

Archived