Hobby Goals You'd Like To Achieve

RuneBrush

In an effort to throw in a random post that isn't one of the current hot topics, I was musing earlier about hobby goals that I'd like to do, but haven't yet.  I don't mean things that are un-achievable but things that could potentially happen for you at some point in the future.

I've a couple of things that I'd like to achieve at some point.  An army for each Grand Alliance is my "simple" goal and I'm already part way there with it with one done, two currently WIP which leaves one left to do.  But I'd also like to run a decent sized gaming event - full thematic narrative with custom battleplans and similar, it goes without saying that this is a future goal!

So what hobby goals do you all have (if any)?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have dreams of buying large creatures and vehicles used off ebay and turning them into terrain pieces. A dead Stonehorn that grot scuttlings have turned into a hovel, several dead nurgle drones that models may puncture if they battle to close, wrecked Kharadron ship as a central objective terrain piece, etc.

These sort of terrain pieces, mixed in with regular terrain, seem like they would give the battlefield a sense of living history as it were.

Unfortunately, I've got Silver Tower, FEC, Blood Bowl, and other actual game piece models I need to get painted first...

My plan for this year is to finally get some finished units painted on the table. While Im also trying to finish my study. So to keep it realistic I am to finish my Wrathmongers and Skullcrushers first, then continue into Bloodletters and the wicked Bloodthirster. 

In addition my other goal is to really experiment with Shadespire. Since the years I believe most Wargames do not have a perfect balance and somehow the community is asking for it time and time again only to see that 'perfect balance' doesn't excist in a game with this many pieces and that comes with a massive bundle of releases at one time instead of dripping in units here and there.
I believe this improved balance is easier found in a competatively/balanced design game like Shadespire because it incorporates set Warband designs with 'free' cards. The biggest difference to this and Wargames is that no points are involved, meaning no margin of priced error is easy to exploit as even the cards are limited to max 1 per deck. 

Then in between I will also try and paint up some Warmachine and Warhammer 40.000 models still. I like these games but am basically waiting for more updated content. I think Warmachine currently is very restricted by 'picking the best Theme Force' and I think 40K is slowely suffering from the same mentality of older designs, where 'newer' also has the issue of powercreeping into 'slightly better' with every release. 
AoS is in a sweet spot for me because most don't ask for the perfect balance and due to my group being open to House-rules I don't feel we should ever feel restricted by AoS' base rules.

I have a massive list of modelling projects for multiple games systems.  Since this is an AoS forum (and the best one I've seen!) I'll just list those projects.  Here's what I would like to do, long term, in order:

1. Finish up my Ironjawz.  This is the army that sold me on Age of Sigmar.  It's fun to play, simple strategies, and look good painted up.  And I now have time to start painting again, so progress is being made for the first time in 8 months.
  2. Scenery!  I want to have nice tables at home to play on, and maybe even make enough that my FLGS can get some better looking terrain to supplement what years of play have worn out.  I'm particularly interested in Hirst Arts molds for making proper castles too :)
  3. Build and paint a Dispossessed/Dwarf army.  I missed out on my chance back in my WHFB days, and I regret it.  I'm not missing my chance again.
  4. Substitute Monsters.  I like Forge World, but it's expensive, the pieces don't fit on my kits, and I can't stand working with their resin.  I have recently got a few Reaper Bones models that match the size and scale of Forge World monsters, so I hope to get some of them painted up.  Magma Dragon and Dread Maw stand ins, here we go!
  5. Minotaur/Warherd/Dragon Ogre/Brayherd/Monsters of Chaos army.  If Minotaurs were a Core choice for Beastmen back in WHFB, I would definitely have made a Beastmen army back in the day.  Now that they are on round bases with that Ally box, they are on my list.  Plus the big nasties are cool too!
  6. Slaves to Darkness Cavalry & Chariot army.  Those models just look awesome to me!
  7. Nurgle Rotbringers army.  If they ever get any more models, then this may get pushed up the list.  Nurgle stuff is awesome and fun to me, though the army is just lacking in flexibility, and I don't want a Daemon army.
  8. Beastclaw/Gutbuster/Firebelly army.  I missed out on my Ogre army from WHFB too.  Twist will be that I will make it themed around the Heavy Weapons Guy and his Sandvich from TF2. "Who touched my gun?!"
  9. Greenskinz army.  Maybe on these guys.  I had a cool list idea for them way back when, but my interest has faded.  If ever, it will be later, and just a small allied contingent for my Ironjawz.
  10. Stormcast Eternal army.  Yeah, so what?  It's on my list, and I think it would be cool to have.

Honorable mentions go to my step-daughter's Death army and my wife's Sylvaneth army.  I have to do all the assembly for them, and I may have to help them paint the models too later on.

... Daggum!  I just realized the sheer scope of my to-do list.  And that's not even including my dreams of finishing up my 40K armies, getting into LotR miniatures, historical miniatures, any Warmahordes models I want to paint for fun, any Reaper Miniatures figures, or anything else.  I'm either going to need a time machine, eternal youth potion, or a winning lottery ticket to get everything painted at this rate (maybe even all three).  Hopefully my step-daughter/daughter/future kids can get good enough on painting and can do it for me when they gets a little older ^_^

So on top of all that, add in a desire to run Narrative campaigns in addition to the modelling.  I might also attend an AoS tournament if one ever comes to Missouri, USA, but only then.

My number one goal is to continue collecting and painting a Seraphon force. I'd love to have at least one of each unit in their battletome (plus a Dread Saurian, while I'm dreaming). The long-term plan is to have 3000-4000 points so that when I play Matched Play games I can try out new lists all the time, including trying out the various battalions. 

As for the painting itself, I still have to finish the Stegadon my son got me for Christmas last year, as well as my Saurus Guard and Saurus Warriors. Then I will need to buy more stuff!

@Mr. White Love the idea of having some big thematic scenery pieces - have visions of the Krayt Dragon from Star Wars from a zombie dragon!

@Killax It's always difficult to balance hobby with study (not like you can put it off).  Sounds like you've got a decent mountain of stuff to do in Shadespire and Warmachine/40k.  I've found that having a short-term plan of action is a good way of starting off with anything like that, look forward to seeing the Wrathmongers & Juggers in a WIP post ;)

@BunkhouseBuster Blimey, that's a massive hit list!  Child labour does sound like the way forward :D  I think most of us have got a huge list of future projects if we're honest with ourselves!  Fingers crossed there's an AoS event near you too

@rokapoke I'm impressed with your self-control on not buying much until you've got those bits painted, I'd likely be shouting "dinosaur" and have a stack of boxes to put together!

@Chris Tomlin Good goal and something I'd love to achieve too, quite fancy something in WD and a model on the Instagram feed on a product page

@Ollie Grimwood I reckon that's achievable!

I've been very transient for my whole professional career, bouncing from town to town. This has meant I have never done much with scenery or a gaming board, as it would be too hard to travel with it. Eventually, hopefully within the next few years, I will settle down and get a house. Then I will have the ultimate gaming room, multiple boards, lots of scenery, several display cases, etc. Starting to tire of the transient life.

8 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

@BunkhouseBuster Blimey, that's a massive hit list!  Child labour does sound like the way forward :D  I think most of us have got a huge list of future projects if we're honest with ourselves!  Fingers crossed there's an AoS event near you too

Lol, yup.  Put those munchkins to work.  Mwahaha!  And that doesn't include my dropped projects, or other games.  Freddie Mercury sang my wargaming anthem.

There actually is a tournament coming up later this month.  I'm considering it, if only to try out tournaments in AoS.  It's almost 3 hours away of a drive though, so it might not be feasible to make the trip.  If some of my other local players are interested though, then the trip might be bearable.

My main hobby goal this year has focused on expanding my painting skills.  After over a decade in the hobby my painting has hit a decent level.  I like to think that I have a good understanding of the basic techniques like highlighting and blending.  I am having issue really progressing beyond that decent standard though.  I am watching more instructional videos online and I took a class this year at Adepticon but the struggle is real.  My current goal is that on each project I try to attempt one technique that I have never done before to get out of my comfort zone. 

My secondary goal is to work on my home board setup.  I have a lot of terrain but some of it is unpainted and some of it is kind of cobbled together.  In the next little bit I want to get a couple of themed boards together that are really coherent.     

39 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

@rokapoke I'm impressed with your self-control on not buying much until you've got those bits painted, I'd likely be shouting "dinosaur" and have a stack of boxes to put together!

Definitely not self-control. More wallet-control... my wish list far and away outstrips my purchasing power!

In no particular order -

A game of AOS at some point, identified a local ish game club i might try and pop along to one day.

Archaon everchosen

Finish painting space hulk, 40k and AoS chaos armies, stormcast and genestealer cult armies (who am i kidding?)

Rig up some led lighting for my display cabinet

Buy another display cabinet 

Necromunda / 40k board set up based on the mining facility at warhammer world for my home use. Needs to be modular for storage as well!

Should keep me busy for the foreseeable future! 

Finally paint the Anointed of Asuryan Ur-Phoenix. Hope those colours I've picked will be a good match. 

Decide on what to treat myself for my birthday. 

Get few skirmish games within October.

Remember to order Ghost Warrior:Rise of the Ynnari.

Start to learn how to draw.

Oh boy. I would love to:

Finish the armies I have right now (so finally get the ironjawz complete with a mawkrusha I don't own yet)

Get a warband or two fully painted for shadespire (very doable)

Improve my abilities, which really means practising more!

Get more games in, become actually competent at the game.

Great topic! :D

I've been pretty lucky this year with my hobby goals. Got to go on Warhammer Live, won a few painting trophies at tournaments and got chosen for White Dwarf's Facebook model of the week. Would love to get my minis into White Dwarf print though! I absolutely love the current White Dwarf. Maybe I can dream of getting to do a White Dwarf battle report some day? 

For every hobby goal you complete though, there are a dozen more I dream of doing. Here's what's top of my agenda:

1. Play though all of Shadows over Hammerhal as the Game Master. (Currently painting my set up!)

2. Fully paint a destruction Skirmish Warband (the last GA I don't have any painted force for).

3. Create a Freeguild town. I have 2 Tudor style buildings and half a Sigmarite Mausoleum. I want to get a couple of Lake Town house kits to finish it off.

4. Collect and paint everything that comes out for Shadespire. EVERYTHING.

-edit-

5. Oh, I forgot. After reading Spear of Shadows I also want to do an Ironclad to cart my heroes around for narrative games. I could be especially awesome when the AoS RPG comes out - it'll be like Final Fantasy disk 4 across the Mortal Realms. :P 

I am really keen to finish painting my first ever army (Blades of Khorne)  making really good progress 29 models done so far ?

I’d love to have my name in a White Dwarf either as a readers model, or a letter (Like my Dad did in the September issues).

Over the Christmas Holiday my Dad and I will be buying and hopefully painting the Shattered Dominion Battle Board , that unlocks the real goal play our first game!

I have of course also a lot of big goals.

- A freaking big battle over a weekend with some friends

- Building and paintig a slaves of darkness force

- Try to get a better ratio of buying and painting miniatures (I paint 5, I buy 10 more...)

- Get some terrain pieces done

- Shadespire, a lot of Shadespire

My goal(s) this year was paint all the "box" set games & GW terrain I've picked up over the years.

So that's:

1. Dreadfleet (done)

2. Gorechosen (done)

3. 2 Balewind Vortex, 1 "old" GW Hill, 2 Realmgates, 1 Magewraith Throne (all done)

4. Space Hulk (done)

5. Silver Tower (1/2 done)

6. Shadows over Hammerhal (assembled...)

Somehow I've also managed to add:

7. Bloodbowl (5 teams ... only 1 is assembled); I also don't want to start painting a team until I get that team's Forgeworld players. 

8. A Sigmarite Mausoleum

I'll probably pick up Shadespire and take a "break" from the above to paint the Orruks and Undead.

To date I've painted 139 minis this year (but that includes the tiny pieces in Dreadfleet and Space Hulk as separate minis).

This year I painted all the adversaries from Silver Tower. I am currently painting a Bretonnian Questing Knight on foot that I've converted to use as a Knight-Questor. Next up, I will paint the exotics: Flamers, Screamers, Exalted Flamer and Herald. After that I'd like to do all the Silver Tower heroes.

Then, I hope to return to my half finished village scenery project that I haven't touched for years. Just need to do the Chapel and Watchtower then done.

I'd love to one day do a Disciples of Tzeentch army with a Lord of Change in it and rebase my Empire army to form the core of a mixed Grand Alliance army. One day...

Archived