How do I start with spiderfang grots?(new player)

PowerCreep

HELLO everyone!

I am currently in the painful process of choosing my first army (never played a wargame before) and well, spiderfangs always looked cool,but they were simply too expansive too justify

With the new Box set for them they are way easier to  collect, so I guess I am set on them.(i love the idea of big centrepieces and anaknaroch is 16cm long!)

If you have any advice on playing them. as well as next purchases i should invest in, please leave them below but i am most interested in painting.I bought the starting paint set but i have no idea how to paint grots or any color schemes.

Thank you for reading.

Read the Grand Alliance: Destruction, Everchosen battletome and the Godbeasts campaign book to get some ideas. All in all paint as you like, you have no limits, although grots are traditionally painted green as far as the skin is concerned. 

http://ibb.co/fCYygG
http://ibb.co/cGr7ab
http://ibb.co/cnOnab

Buy and paint what you like. Sadly Spiderfangs have little choice but when they get their book I am sure we will see new models too.

Great thing about spiders is there are loads of choices and flexibility in how you paint them. Go google some real world spiders and find one that looks cool for a spider theme. I picked a purple/blue and black spotty theme :) 

I find that a grey primer base works nicely for black, as you can layer it and thin it to get the tone of dark grey you require, whereas black base spray makes it too black. (personal preference I guess)

Best to paint the spiders and riders separately and stick them on after!

The spiders are super efficient to paint, I just go dark grey base and then nuln oil wash and then  highlight with a grey/blue layer. I then do a final highlight for the spotty bits with a bright blue. 

For the goblin riders, they have a bunch of junk on their backs, and its more efficient to paint it with 2 colours rather than a whole bunch. The stuff on their lower back is hardly visible anyway once on the spider. 

If you just have the starter paint set then you should buy extra green watery paint and green layer paint for the goblin skin. agrax watery paint should be okay for the other colours. Maybe a brighter colour for spider highlights. 

Oh and the goblin boss on giant spider is a horrendous model to assemble. Leave that til you're more confident and in a calm mood. 

Drybrushing

If you are new to painting then drybrushing is an increadibly easy way to add a nice finishing touch. If you combine it with inking before you get a super nice toned look with minimal effort.

Spoiler

21761755_10214932233685607_6644961225272134477_n.jpg?oh=539ecbe55a897df3117711110ba11690&oe=5A852EC4

Spoiler

21742985_10214932233405600_7125711169195485554_n.jpg?oh=71210b87d39689c5baa95c7ec0603683&oe=5A46C500

So this an example of what I mean. My Goregruntas has 1 layer of paint, 1 layer of wash and 2 layers of drybrushing. The Weirdnob has 1 layer, a wash and 1 layer of drybrushing.

You can get different amounts of highlighting by how heavy the brush is with paint when you drybrush.

Spoiler

Image may contain: plant and indoor

This is the first lot I did after starting again, picture isn't great but I was WAY more heavy handed with the drybrushing here. This is the drummer out of the picture.

Spoiler

22140764_10215122721407681_1158689946883355096_n.jpg?oh=41c3617c9b6557c3ce1319f798c57946&oe=5A813AB0

Spoiler

19657007_10215122716487558_416561983051856223_n.jpg?oh=76073b471c7676ca3ae682495e926cb4&oe=5A504DDA

The second one is one I've just done. If you compare the hands on the first one to the arms/shoulders on the second you can see I've used a far lighter coat which makes the original colour more noticeable. I also did the horns and tusks using layer, wash, 3 different drybrushes.

Drybrushing doesn't give the perfect neat look that edging does but it's a lot easier to do and I like the winter/snowy look that I ended up with.

Colour Schemes

Generally the best colour schemes are going to be bold and striking wit contrast between the colours. While mine isn't what I originally set out to do (To quote "Offensively blue") it still has a nice aesthetic to it which I'm pleased about. The Ardboyz aren't the most striking but they provide a nice muted counter point to the Lollypop Weirdnob who is way more noticable.

Since the centrepiece of your army is going to be the Arachnarok I would suggest choosing a colour scheme for the spiders then building around that. Here are some basic examples, hopefully you can see how the bright very dangerous colours would make the army striking.

Warning Spider Pictures

Spoiler

legoland-california.jpg

Spoiler

Image result for spider colours

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_ol1xrqjwDE1rbtytd_500.jpg

I'm not a biologist so take what I'm about to say with a pinch of salt. These are all subscribing to the "Bright Colours mean dangerous" aspect of nature and are not the standard black widow look. The other option would be to go for a more jungle camouflage type look for the spiders, if you do that you will probably want to make the grots themselves more colourful otherwise you're going to end up with just a green yellow block of colour.

Obviously this is neither a full list of options or even a good partial list. Primarily I posted it to see if you had any sparks of inspiration, my weirdnob for example was inspired by one someone else had done on here. You're first army is never going to be the most fantastic thing in the world, my own from years ago is just single blocks of colour. You will get better though as you learn more techniques and practice, I have noticed it myself even just going through my Ironjawz, I'm far better now than I was 2 months ago.

32 minutes ago, Malakree said:

@Sheriff Those look awesome!

Might just be the picture but the grot skin needs something to make it look less block green. It really stands out against the rest of it.

I've experimented with different techniques on the grots, and really struggle with the faces. I've left it quite risk-averse as I simply suck at the faces. Am trying to improve though. 

The mainformation thing to me would be either a very light drybrushing or highlighting of the most pronounce areas of the face.

Eyebrows, top of the nose, top of the ears, cheek bone that sort of thing. Ifor you've already done that maybe use a slightly more pronounced colour. Maybe a light green, greeny brown or even a  sickly yellow.

Personally I do Ork flesh using waaagh flesh, bieltan green then drybrush Niblet. I also drybrush the entire model with a light white coat but that is for the snowy look rather than anything else.

Archived