The Painting Contract - October 2017

TheOtherJosh

I finished painting the Arachnarok howdah and my spiderfang general's mount and chair. Pleased with how the colour scheme came off - you guys ever feel whilst your're doing the base layers that the model might turn out truly awful, but then as the layers go on you have enormous relief that its all turned out great? 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Progress has been okay this month, almost 2/4 Gorechosen done but with school holidays coming up don't think I'll be able to complete them all. 

Awee update below - slaughter priest doesn't quite look right, I think the pale flesh and light bones around his neck doesn't give enough contrast- any tips on painting darker bones?

IMG_20171012_210700.jpg.250350c7bf369e05e04bd044a8072f18.jpg

2 hours ago, cannymalavera said:

Progress has been okay this month, almost 2/4 Gorechosen done but with school holidays coming up don't think I'll be able to complete them all. 

Awee update below - slaughter priest doesn't quite look right, I think the pale flesh and light bones around his neck doesn't give enough contrast- any tips on painting darker bones?

IMG_20171012_210700.jpg.250350c7bf369e05e04bd044a8072f18.jpg

Alternately, you could do the slaughter priest neck horns like you did the horns on the Exalted Deathbringer. 

The “horns” around the neck appear to actually be growing from his neck on the model.

nice job on them, I like the variation in armor coloration between the models as well. ++good!

1 minute ago, Sheriff said:

I think I have a problem. I've forced myself to NOT paint tonight, and it feels uncomfortable. 

(I shall instead play Vermintide - what a great game this still  is, folks)

Blood Bowl II “Legendary Edition” is also pretty good if you like blood bowl. (The Campaign has been a bunch of fun!)

21 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Blood Bowl II “Legendary Edition” is also pretty good if you like blood bowl. (The Campaign has been a bunch of fun!)

Never played BloodBowl. I'm scared of playing further GW games as I just don't have time for more. 

On 10/12/2017 at 1:12 AM, Kramer said:

Oh please tell me. I'm still using the soapy stuff I used as a kid and can't make my brushes survive past 3 months and I paint maybe once or twice a week. Iwant to invest in better brushes but that really prevents me from doing so. 

What you are looking for is called Master's Brush Cleaner.  You can find it on Amazon, or in various hobby and crafts shops around.  Like, my FLGS doesn't carry it, but the local Michael's Hobby Store does.  It's amazing, and can save you lots of time on your brushes, both in amount spent cleaning and in time to use them.  I highly recommend it!

Friday night WIP. Three more blood warriors  taking shape, skulls, chain mail and bases to go. After these I have 4 more to do 2x champions with glaives and 2xbanners. I am so impressed with this kit, super detailed for battle line but you can paint them nicely somewhat quickly or could spend hours on a single model.

IMG_0417.JPG

4 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Never played BloodBowl. I'm scared of playing further GW games as I just don't have time for more. 

What I like about the B.B. video game is that it is a direct translation from the tabletop turn based game.  And I can play and not have to paint/build.

Dice rolls and all have been brought over. So ... the experience translates directly back to the hobby. B| (I actually don’t own the actual board game ... just the video game.)

And... there’s a pretty solid group of folks who play online. Both on consoles and on PC. (Though the never ending solo mode isn’t bad I hear.)

5 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

What I like about the B.B. video game is that it is a direct translation from the tabletop turn based game.  And I can play and not have to paint/build.

Dice rolls and all have been brought over. So ... the experience translates directly back to the hobby. B| (I actually don’t own the actual board game ... just the video game.)

And... there’s a pretty solid group of folks who play online. Both on consoles and on PC. (Though the never ending solo mode isn’t bad I hear.)

I see. Great I'll put on my steam list then. Give Vermintide a go if you like warhammer games. It's fantastic. I'm called Sheriff in steam too :D

Well that took alot less time than I was expecting... Kinda. 

In one long rum filled painting session I was able to paint up the temple of skulls I wanted to get done! 

I painted it using 'poster' paints from the local walmart and then hit up the details with Citadel Paints. Its not perfect but I will do for the table in a box i am building!  

20171014_005726.jpg.5381750ce01837b39d1f963501a1ee3d.jpg20171014_005240.jpg.bf3983d21d8459519023a88c9fbbf2c3.jpg20171014_005735.jpg.d72ddb6b866aee957ba6a92cee457de7.jpg

20171014_005741.jpg

Well, damn, in between hurriedly repairing part of my house before it rained on my work, packing up a chunk of my basement for the move to our new house in a couple weeks, and a pair of toddlers fighting like a pair of real-life goblins I actually got a figure painted! :o 

It's an Albino Orc shaman for my skirmish force.  I took my inspiration from StuG in his pale Orc thread, and painted a Savage Orc standard bearer up that I had bought at Gencon intending him to be a Shaman.  I trimmed down the staff, though, as it was too top-heavy visually.  Thinking being an albino would set him apart really well as a character, the skin tone is a base of Steel Legion Drab, with a drubrush of Zandri Dust and a final drybrush of Armypainter Skeleton Bone.  

It was really hard getting a contrast between all that pale flesh and all the bones and teef on the model, so while I think  most of it came out a bit too dark for what I wanted for bone, it was unfortunately necessary as the basecoat of the bone was the same as my final skin layer.

909491_sm-.JPG

909492_sm-.JPG

909490_sm-.JPG

909494_sm-.JPG

Technically I got a couple of savage boarboyz painted, too, but it was more of a touch up, as years ago they were converted to be 40K boarboyz, so I snapped the sluggas off and did some re-painting.  Aesthetically, I need to finish a pair of shields for them, but as-is they are good enough for the table.

909495_sm-.JPG

So...August and September we’re not great months painting wise for me! 

I get frustrated because I’m quite clumsy and heavy handed then fling a strop and stop painting. 

However...I kicked my lil butt into gear and have been pretty productive up till now...here’s some progress! 

F5A72B46-9CFC-42AE-A020-1A0FC97DA810.jpeg

3 minutes ago, ForeverMonty said:

So...August and September we’re not great months painting wise for me! 

I get frustrated because I’m quite clumsy and heavy handed then fling a strop and stop painting. 

However...I kicked my lil butt into gear and have been pretty productive up till now...here’s some progress! 

F5A72B46-9CFC-42AE-A020-1A0FC97DA810.jpeg

Flamers and the herald are both amazingly fun to paint, I’m looking forward to seeing the final product!

29 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Flamers and the herald are both amazingly fun to paint, I’m looking forward to seeing the final product!

I was so undecided whether to put the herald on the chariot or not for this initially, alas, I’ve went separate. 

Not pictured is the half painted pink horrors currently, that’s this evenings task!

Been taking a long time trying to figure out a scheme for my new Kharadron Overlords army.

I knew I wanted kind of a "concept army" look of white on black with some sort of spot colours, but been doing a lot of humming and hawwing and repainting spots to see what works.

Here's A WIP of a couple guys. Think the bases need a bit more done to them and I want to add in more pink, but I'm going very slowly. Absolutely love painting these little models though, which I didn't expect. I knew I wanted to avoid having to paint every little strap and whatnot by going the concept style, and I find they're detailed but there's not a lot of surface area so they don't take too long.

Currently hopeful for getting a minimum of my 10 Arkanauts done this month for my pledge, with hopes I can squeeze the 5 Thunderers in.

IMG_0508.JPG

2 hours ago, polarbear said:

Been taking a long time trying to figure out a scheme for my new Kharadron Overlords army.

I knew I wanted kind of a "concept army" look of white on black with some sort of spot colours, but been doing a lot of humming and hawwing and repainting spots to see what works.

Here's A WIP of a couple guys. Think the bases need a bit more done to them and I want to add in more pink, but I'm going very slowly. Absolutely love painting these little models though, which I didn't expect. I knew I wanted to avoid having to paint every little strap and whatnot by going the concept style, and I find they're detailed but there's not a lot of surface area so they don't take too long.

Currently hopeful for getting a minimum of my 10 Arkanauts done this month for my pledge, with hopes I can squeeze the 5 Thunderers in.

IMG_0508.JPG

That is a neat paint scheme!  I don't think I have seen anything like that before!  Those models look like something out of an anime, and in a good way!  I'm looking forward to seeing more of them!

On my side, I've got my first Brute squad shaded up, and my first Megaboss to a point that I can call him DONE.  I've also begun work on 5 of my Ardboys, my Weird-Nob Shaman, and the Megaboss rider for my Maw-krusha.  No luck on the Gore-gruntas yet though, as I didn't have the paints I was wanting to do the right job on them, so that's why I'm working on the Ardboys instead right now.

Pledge complete!

Could of finished them sooner if i didn't get side-tracked all the time. I'll take some photo's tomorrow during day light hours.

This leaves me with some time to spare so il will try to finish my Arkhan the black as a bonus before the month is over.

Archived