The Painting Contract - October 2017

TheOtherJosh

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ZeusLeDieu said:

Really need to get myself a new camera. 

Your camera is likely just fine :)

It is more important to control lighting and background when photographing.

I’m going to recommend the solid article on the Warhammer Community site about taking pictures for display:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/13/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/

32 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

I’m going to recommend the solid article on the Warhammer Community site about taking pictures for display:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/13/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/

Any tips for getting the focus right on pics of multiple models? It works okay for 1 but not a bunch of 'em. 

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

samsung telephone

Okay, don't know enough about samsung telephones to tell you how to fix it but heres the issue (very very boiled down and in a second language, haha). The depth of field is indecated by the F-stop. The higher the F value, the more is in focus. Meaning that things in the foreground and background can be both in focus, to a certain extend of course. But here's the issue: in doing so less light can come into the sensor meaning picture will become very dark. A simple way to negate this effect is buy lowering the shutterspeed. Meaning the sensor will be exposed longer to the light, therefore creating a better lit picture while still maintaining a high enough F-stop. 

Now, here's the phone's issue. Phone camera's usually do all this automatic. So three practical tips:

1. Try to google if you can manually set your F-stop on your phone. 

2. Use a very brightly lit room. Your phone will most likely do two things. One raise the F-stop and two use a higher shutterspeed. Hopefully, more will come into focus. 

3. By tapping the screen you can usually decide what your phone focusses on. Try not to focus on the closest model but one in the middle. If the Fstop is high enough it should help.

Hope this helps. 

edit: depending on you camera it might have a portrait/landscape/sport/etc setting. Try to use landscape instead of portrait or sport. The first will lower your f-stop to create a smooth picture and the second will try to get the fastest shutterspeed to catch movement. Both won't help your issue. If you take a picture of single model a low F-stop (portraid mode) will usually improve the picture. 

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Thanks,

My plan is to construct a mini photo booth aswell. But that has to wait at least next month till i get out of this bloodly wheelchair (it's doing my nut not being able to do things as i wish). 

And a new camera wont hurt, christmas is not to far away and a gift from me to me is always good.

53 minutes ago, ZeusLeDieu said:

mini photo booth aswel

You can do so and they will work but.... I'm going to save myself the trouble. You can buy them starting from €30,- which seem perfectly functional. Only thing is I haven't tested any yet and will probably go for a slightly higher price range one as I can claim the VTA as I will most likely use them businesswise as well in time. 

12 minutes ago, Kramer said:

You can do so and they will work but.... I'm going to save myself the trouble. You can buy them starting from €30,- which seem perfectly functional. Only thing is I haven't tested any yet and will probably go for a slightly higher price range one as I can claim the VTA as I will most likely use them businesswise as well in time. 

Just had a look, couldn't resist the temptation. Light-box, etc.. ordered. So in a few days better photos will follow. :D 

Well, last night I managed to get Agrax Earthshade on my Megaboss for my Maw-krusha, so he is getting close to done.

However, I may be done painting and playing for a while yet.  My painting station is in a room that is a converted garage, and aside from my painting area and wargaming storage, it also has lots of boxes and tubs of stuff of my and my wife's stuff.  And now it is having pest problems.  So I'm going to be spending my free time on deep cleaning that room and getting things squared away to keep critters out of my house through winter.  Blargh!

35 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

@BunkhouseBuster so you're saying Nurgle has invaded your garage? 

Leave a bright wizard in there to guard it for a while. Should clear them out pronto. 

More like a Skaven problem, actually.  Though some of Nurgle's agents are trying to get into the kitchen now as well 9_9

There goes my free time for the rest of the week...

37 minutes ago, Slave2Chaos said:

@Snoe That is an Amazing looking StarDrake sir, love that orange. How'd you do it?

Thank you! It's quite simple,

Jokaero Orange, base

Seraphim Sepia, wash

Troll Slayer Orange, drybrush

Fire Dragon Bright, light drybrush.

Disclaimer, it's a bit more bright in real life then in the picture. I did some of my Dracoths with a Mephiston Red base and they turn out abit darker, more like the pic.

14 hours ago, ZeusLeDieu said:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00DI3UZ3I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To test, doesn't cost alot, but probely better than nothing.

Looks perfect for photographing miniatures. Diffused lighting from both sides means you counter shadows on the model, adjustable background also means it should be relatively easy to place some artwork there for a different background! Well done, it's just sold out... So how many did you actually buy xD

11 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Looks perfect for photographing miniatures. Diffused lighting from both sides means you counter shadows on the model, adjustable background also means it should be relatively easy to place some artwork there for a different background! Well done, it's just sold out... So how many did you actually buy xD

Luckerly I got thé last one from that perticuler vendeur.

Archived