Is the squig gobba the answer to Ironjaws problems?

Planar

Had this sort of "revelation" after my IJ were blown to pieces by warp lighting cannons and jessails last night :) 
Below you can see the damage output per round of two squig gobbas  assuming an average opponent save of 5+

image.png.5760592d78551966aaebf67268334127.png
On their plus they can stay comfortably hidden behind a terrain features as they don't need line of sight.

They are 280 points so they nicely fit into the allies slot.

What do you think?

13 minutes ago, Planar said:

They are 280 points so they nicely fit into the allies slot.

They are 140 now. I'd love to hear a battle rep where someone has used them, on paper it could be ace, however there are a few things I'd be concerned with...

One is range (18" isn't awful, but ain't great...)

And the other is cost - you'd want a few, and they're not cheap from FW!

6 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

They are 140 now.

Yeas I meant 280 points for 2 (I am greedy :) )

I ll throw them in on my next game and see how it goes. 

Cost could be an issue for many people. Personally it does not affect me since I only play with friends and we allow proxies . So I ll manage some conversion using  my  obsolete squig models or I ll simply use a rotten tomato on a round base xD

4 hours ago, Fungrim said:

They are 140 now. I'd love to hear a battle rep where someone has used them, on paper it could be ace, however there are a few things I'd be concerned with...

One is range (18" isn't awful, but ain't great...)

And the other is cost - you'd want a few, and they're not cheap from FW!

I've used them couple of times back in the days when they were the most terrifying monster in destruction range. Never shot a snotling with it...

17 hours ago, meet.the.doctor said:

I've used them couple of times back in the days when they were the most terrifying monster in destruction range. Never shot a snotling with it...

They seem REALLY improved now (on paper at least). Can't wait to test them and hear what other people say too.

They're defintely an improvement over the other ranged options available such as Moonclan Grots with Bows or Bonesplitta Arrow Boys, though the later get competative if you're looking at the whole 400 points worth (3 Gobbas vs 30 Arrow Boys gives 6d6 attacks vs 90)

are we talking about the 4D6" range D3 shots 5+ hit and 4+ wound no rend D3 damage creature? This seems like hot garbage to me unless im looking at non updated rules or something. Why would i ever take this over 20 shots 5+/4+ with 20 wounds of grots? Heaven forbid you compare it to an actual war machine.

Yes the model is hilariously cool, but the rules are terrible right?...I just cant wrap my head around a use.

17 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

are we talking about the 4D6" range D3 shots 5+ hit and 4+ wound no rend D3 damage creature? This seems like hot garbage to me unless im looking at non updated rules or something. Why would i ever take this over 20 shots 5+/4+ with 20 wounds of grots? Heaven forbid you compare it to an actual war machine.

Yes the model is hilariously cool, but the rules are terrible right?...I just cant wrap my head around a use.

Scroll was updated: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/aos-monstrous-arcanum.pdf

18" 2D6 4+ (3+ if did not move) 3+ - D3

6 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

well then i rescind my comment its actually quite good now. My app wasn't updated. Does anyone else not have up to date scrolls the AOS app?

You have to delete and re-download when things get updated

On 9/30/2017 at 11:06 PM, Lucio said:

They're defintely an improvement over the other ranged options available such as Moonclan Grots with Bows or Bonesplitta Arrow Boys, though the later get competative if you're looking at the whole 400 points worth (3 Gobbas vs 30 Arrow Boys gives 6d6 attacks vs 90)

Here's the thing. You can't get 3 gobbas as allies since they are 420 points as opposed to 360 for 30 Arrowboys. So in that respect the Arrowboys are definitely  better. Also the Arrowboys offer a nice meat wall of 60 wounds when it comes to objective holding.

On the other hand, if you look purely at damage output here's is the direct comparison of 30 boyz vs 3 gobbas:

30 Arrowboys:

Capture.PNG.6238941a2b1d45137e749123c265e284.PNG

3 squig gobbas:

Capture2.PNG.841ccae7f5daaa77008b91e43d7aebf1.PNG

That doesn't seem too bad  :)

I am planning to field one tonight on a 3vs3 1000pt game. Really curious how this will go.

9 hours ago, Planar said:

30 Arrowboys:

Capture.PNG.6238941a2b1d45137e749123c265e284.PNG

3 squig gobbas:

Capture2.PNG.841ccae7f5daaa77008b91e43d7aebf1.PNG

Curious about your model. Given there's 90 attacks from the Arrowboys, I've got the average damage at 15, with a theoretical maximum of 90

Ignoring the improbable that gives me just 1.16% to get 7 or less damage, 15 or less damage runs to 56.83% or less.

Admitedly, my statistics are rusty, but that Arrowboys graph looks like 60 attacks at a guess.

Asking not to criticise, but to learn more, particularly as I had to spend 15 minutes on Google to find the formula for Binominal distribution.

Squig Gobba's giving me more of a headache to model as I've got to run the distribution multiple times

On 10/6/2017 at 11:30 PM, Lucio said:

Curious about your model. Given there's 90 attacks from the Arrowboys, I've got the average damage at 15, with a theoretical maximum of 90

Its actually 90 attacks but I have assumed a 5+ save for the opponents (same for the gobbas).  It looks like the "average" case.

As for the distributions, its not a model I made. I have stopped doing this sort of (tedious) work for WH when I found this great site: 

http://tools.druchii.net/AoS-Combat-Calculator.php?q=r:335:10

TBH never double-checked the results but its on the internet so it must be correct, right? xD

Anyway last weekend I had a first run with the squig gobba. It was a fun game and the angry tomato did great. ll post  about it later!

So, last weekend we played a nice little 3vs3 TRIUMPH & TREACHERY game to test some new army settings. I played a semi-random mixed destruction list using a newly purchased Arachnarok, four Mournfang cavalry and lots of very of 5th edition gobo miniatures along with a very elaborate proxy for a squig gobba which can be seen in the photo.

On 9/25/2017 at 1:54 PM, Fungrim said:

Pictures or it didn't happen....

20171006_211311.jpg.b4d5e63a908ccafd63e20e6b3fb4c49e.jpg

20171006_211024.jpg.c3c6ad7ae292fb646df3aec77fab6f03.jpg

My goal among others was to see how well the gobba will fare.

My opponents were running a similarly unoptimized semi-random Seraphon list and a very-well tuned Skaven Pestilens battalion. The scenario we were playing was RIGHT OF CONQUEST

It was a weird game. Start of first round the Pestilens guy who was using 4 casters worked some vile magic (don't ask ) which wiped out entirely one of the gobbos unit! Immediately after that the action gravitated completely to the other half of the table.

On my part I managed to roll two 1s on a Mystical terrain leaving my arachanrok and the Mournfang befuddled for the first movement phase. By the time I was awake (i.e. one lost initiative and 6 battle rounds later) the Skaven and Seraphon were franticly wiping each other out on the other side of the table and I was running to catch up with the action.

My only interaction with the opponents during this period was the squig gobba.

Its  debut was poor, rolling  only 4 attacks on 2d6 on round1 and causing only one wound on one of the priests. But from round 2 onwards it did great causing 7, 8 and 8 wounds per shooting phase and essentially deleting all the Pestilens spellcasters off the table. Arguably I has some good rolls on 2d6 attacks but on the other hand in a more favorable scenario I feel it can perform even better.

I think I am buying one to make friends with my ironjaws B|

9 minutes ago, Planar said:

On my part I managed to roll two 1s on a Mystical terrain leaving my arachanrok and the Mournfang befuddled for the first movement phase. By the time I was awake (i.e. one lost initiative and 6 battle rounds later) the Skaven and Seraphon were franticly wiping each other out on the other side of the table and I was running to catch up with the action.

Oh that's tough! Love the updated t&t rules though. Look like so much fun. 

• 3 months later...

They have gone from laughable to...probable. 2d6 attacks hitting on 3's and wounding on 3's and d3 damage  without needing line of site is good! Where it comes up short, is 18" of range and no rend. The other item to consider taking is a Rock Lobba or 3, they fill in all the weak spots and only cost 100 points. 

7 minutes ago, Dez said:

They have gone from laughable to...probable. 2d6 attacks hitting on 3's and wounding on 3's and d3 damage  without needing line of site is good! Where it comes up short, is 18" of range and no rend. The other item to consider taking is a Rock Lobba or 3, they fill in all the weak spots and only cost 100 points. 

Workin on the rock lobbas already! Playing around with lists, thanks for the feedback Dez :)

Archived