Building an army

ChrisT

Being time limited nowadays, i have let the whole AoS thing wash over me and have been watching and absorbing through osmosis all the various lists and discussions on forums etc. 

Is the new way to basically just take what you fancy or do you still need to stick with the factions?  i.e. Chaos / Destruction / Death / Order?

Also there seems to be so many new rules and books etc coming out, do you need to get them all?  How do you know what to pick and choose?  Are having the "forces" deployments the way to go to get some funky rules into your gaming?

You can do what ever you like but at events they are sticking to either Alliances, or Factions.

I used a single faction at SCGT even though it was an Alliance event

I'd suggest that your Khorne army is a good start

1 hour ago, Ben said:

No, but you can have Chaos grand alliance and a load of the 'Khorne' keyword stuff crosses over between Khonne Deamon and Khnone Bloodbound (2 factions)

Also you get so much synergy its really good to grab some stuff that crosses over from other factions. Looks cool too

Yes was browsing the GW website last night and the whipping guy looked a nice model, also saw another model that i thought looked nice...then i realised cost £140 from forgeworld!  

Can i get away with using my old bloodthirster model as the new types of bloodthirster? (he looks a little small nowadays)

It's a touchy subject Chris!  

I'd say that he should be the right model but other say the older ones are fine if on the right base.  Use what ever you are happy doing.  

For club nights no one will care either way. 

Ok, so does anyone have the starter set and willing to part with the chaos types that come with it?  Oh and Saarac does look nice.  Bit on the large size though!  Might be on a wish list or i just need to start saving / justifying 140 on one model, 80 for Skarbrand was bad enough!

Ok so if i take the Khorne deamons, rebase / buy some new khorne type warriors that counts as one faction?  

Wrathmongers. Any Khorne list (Daemons, Bloodbound, or Daemon Bloodbound alliances) needs Wrathmongers.

You could even do the Wrathmonger Bloodstorm formation (it is good, but it is a narrower list).

• 2 weeks later...

SKaarac is awesome for monster orientated khorne armies. Have a look at the Giant Chaos Spawn, Bloodthirsters and Daemon Princes if you get him :)

''Also there seems to be so many new rules and books etc coming out, do you need to get them all?  How do you know what to pick and choose?  Are having the "forces" deployments the way to go to get some funky rules into your gaming?''

Rules: All rules can be found online for free, or in the app (also free). In addition to that a lot of armies have battalions (formations). These can be found in the respective books, or the app. These need to be payed for oftenly.

Lore: Books only. You can google, but there are very few wiki writers for AoS at the moment, so you won't find an awfully lot of detailed info out there. The army specific books (like Khorne Bloodbound) hold the most info on a given faction. The Realmgate books hold lore specific to that part of the Realmgate Campaign, like army make up, colour schemes, lore on key characters, etc.

Battleplans: These can be found in the app (for a cost), and in books, As with the Lore, Battleplans that are based around a specific faction are oftenly found in the books for that faction (Like the Seraphon book, which holds a Battleplan where the Seraphon teleport unto the table during the game). More generic battleplans can be found in the Realmgate Books.

I personally use the app. I rather have money for more miniatures than buying the much more expensive books. I feel a bit sad by missing out on the lore, but i aim to buy a select few books in a few years, once AoS is more fleshed out lore wise. The app in the meantime is perfect, i can buy the battalions and battleplans i want, and ignore the rest, or buy a bundle if i know i want more than one thing from that bundle. However, it's a bit of a pain to play with that, so i also make statcards for the Warscrolls and Battalions and have made A5 sized reference sheets for each battleplan i own.  

Archived