Aelves - where do they go next??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I am strongly against a unified aelf race. For my Dark Elves beeing Order together with those High Elves and the wood elves was already shocking. The ally system gave use some breath now, but pressed together again even tighter? Please no...

I am really looking forward to the Shadow Kin. My Dark Aelfs feel much more love for Malerion than for the other aelfen races.

9 minutes ago, Kaleun said:

Honestly I am strongly against a unified aelf race.

First of all, hilarious out of context.

Second of all, I'm with you. At least two distinct Aelven races are needed, although it won't stop me from making a couple Peregrine Tenebraels for my Swifthawks in the meantime.

52 minutes ago, Kaleun said:

Honestly I am strongly against a unified aelf race. For my Dark Elves beeing Order together with those High Elves and the wood elves was already shocking. The ally system gave use some breath now, but pressed together again even tighter? Please no...

Seconding on that, old books are gone and not needed anymore. More factions and books = more fluff. Some could be merged, sure, but most of them would go better if remained. 

53 minutes ago, Kaleun said:

I am really looking forward to the Shadow Kin. My Dark Aelfs feel much more love for Malerion than for the other aelfen races.

It's very likely they will be the first elves who get a book of their own, and yes, a new sub-faction. But it is good that old ones are not forgotten either and get some attention nevertheless, especially the fluff in the Shadows over Hammerhal was welcome.

What they could do to make aelves have low wound count but still be a good army is to give them good saves (like Stormcast 4+ on troops, 3+ on heroes) and have them ignore rend. If straight ignore rend is too good, it could be something like what the saurus units have (ignore rend if it's -1). Of course they'd still be weak to mortal wounds.

I don't mind if they stay squishy in general as long as there is one unit that's capable of being used defensively - The Phoenix guard and eternal guard are not too bad in the current rules. I think they messed up the Black Guard in this respect - they just made them poor cousins to the executioners instead of making them into a bunker unit. The sisters of slaughter also make a good defensive unit if you have them in cover with mystic shield but its not a very thematic use for them!

I would be happy to see some kind of "always strikes first" rule come back into play for some units. I'm not sure how that would work with alternating combats but its a way to create an impression of skill beyond low "to hit" numbers and would make for interesting tactics and counters.

I'm sure the shadow elves will have lots of hit and run movement shenanigans which I'm looking forward to.

I'm quite enjoying the freedom given to the sculptors by the new high fantasy setting. I think the kharadron  overlords stuff looks stupid but i'm glad they exist to make the setting more unique than just a rehash of Tolkien. 

Its crazy to think that most of the new sculpts are already done if this release is happening next year - someone knows what they look like!!! 

If they have hoverboards and katanas i'm taking a month off work to paint them :) 

2 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I think the kharadron  overlords stuff looks stupid but i'm glad they exist to make the setting more unique than just a rehash of Tolkien. 

They are just too unoriginal for GW, as steampunk dwarves exist since the beginning of time. But carry on.

2 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Its crazy to think that most of the new sculpts are already done if this release is happening next year - someone knows what they look like!!! 

Aye, and most of them were done even before the Sigmar :)

On 9/25/2017 at 6:15 PM, TheNotebookGM said:

Oh I did. Tenebrael will definitely be joining my Swifthawks and probably leading my Skirmish/PTG forces. Might even grab like 3-5 of them just because I like them and won't be satisfied with the first one I paint since I'm a noob. 

That's how I ended up with 5/6 different dwarf lords back in the day. Luckily all different sculpts but I still have some need to repaint some of those. 

9 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Hahaha, can't you join the design department. That sounds ridiculous and awesome at the same time 

:) i'd love to as long as they don't actually expect me to sculpt anything!

The mortal realms already have floating castles, islands, mountains - and even floating dwarfs! So its not really that far fetched to have elves on floating surfboards :) 

Uh oh, I really want to go and buy some dark eldar Hellions now. 

2 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

I am sure you know have been having sky cutters since 8th Fb edition...

Yeah I kinda hated those models - and the whole idea of them! but yeah its sets a precedent. 

The whole storyline has become so much more high fantasy than medieval fantasy that anything is possible really. More so than in 40k I would say. The 40k universe at least pays lip service to the laws of physics! 

9 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

The whole storyline has become so much more high fantasy than medieval fantasy that anything is possible really.

It has not - it is high fantasy like DnD or Moorcock, since the initial launch, and in 8th already were such moves like Wood elves that were already high fantasy. 

10 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

More so than in 40k I would say. The 40k universe at least pays lip service to the laws of physics! 

Well, no, really, it's the same. 40k is not sci-fi by any means and never was, and even more so today.

• 1 month later...

The Elf is dead.

Long live the Aelf!

.....whenever they finally turn up that is...Someone said this summer? Nope just more storm cast :( Wake me in 10 years. that's how long we waited for a new Wood Elf army book and a year later they killed that too. Grumble Grumble Grumble.

Archived