As mentioned above you will find a very cheap unit in the corsairs. I think they work better in large units and in combination with the realreavers battalion. With the units in the box you can build:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Black Ark Fleetmaster (40)
- General
Knight-Vexillor (140)
- Meteoric Standard
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Black Ark Corsairs (80)
- Vicious Blades & Repeater Handbows
- Scourge Privateers Battleline
10 x Black Ark Corsairs (80)
- Vicious Blades & Repeater Handbows
1 x Scourgerunner Chariots (100)

Units
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Allies
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- Allies

Behemoths
Kharibdyss (180)

Battalions
Realm Reavers (180)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1120 / 2000
Allies: 460 / 400

I would remove the Knight Vexillor for a 1000 Point army. On the first page of this Thread you find a build with that box for 2000 points.

PS: the whole thing might be flawed because the 2 Judis cost 320 instead of the allowed 200 allied points for matched play.

Edited by Kaleun

31 minutes ago, GammaMage said:

I like the idea of the Knight-Vexillor to teleport a group of Retributors into combat, as they are very slow and can't keep up with elves. Hmm...

Only lackluster. Your Chance for a successful 9" charge is only 27,80 %. Even worse then the chance of triggering the Anvilguard ability. If you want to teleport stuff over the battlefield, take a pure Stormcast Allegiance and their Battalions. The Skyborne Slayers are pretty strong.

I have definitely gone back to the drawing board with an Anvilguard army since the errata. Moving away from Darkilng Covens and more towards Order Serpentis + fulminators.

are drakespawn knights overcosted or am I missing something? Dragon blades have better stats for 20 points less, Goregruntas have way better stats for 20 points less! 

18 hours ago, GammaMage said:

as it stands the box has no generic battlelines in it...

I guess they made the boxes before they realised they were going to have to nerf it to GA Order !

5 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I have definitely gone back to the drawing board with an Anvilguard army since the errata. Moving away from Darkilng Covens and more towards Order Serpentis + fulminators.

are drakespawn knights overcosted or am I missing something? Dragon blades have better stats for 20 points less, Goregruntas have way better stats for 20 points less! 

I guess they made the boxes before they realised they were going to have to nerf it to GA Order !

I like that approach! I also see cav. as useful building-material for the Anvilguard. Chariots could also be a thing (the faster the better).

Regarding the Drakespawn Knights I woulnt call them overcosted, just on the high side (pointwise) compared to other Order options. However there is no discussion, as neither Dragonblades nor the Goregruntas can be Anvilguard right?

I simply love the Drakespawn Knights. They are some of my favourite models and I would field them even if there are cheaper options (neverevernevernever would I take pesky High elves :P ) -> You have to learn their strenghts and weaknesses and you will manage to play well with them.

Two things one might miss:
-) they reroll one die while charging -> insanly useful statistically!!
-) every increase to their to-wound statistics is very good (remember the Ebondrake Warhost)

@Kaleun

Yeah I was just comparing them to other cavalry in general really. They are less points efficient than every other heavy cav unit I looked at. I really like the models too - though my drakespawn came out a bit too bright green. I need to dull them down with a couple more layers of wash. I do have a chariot but its still in the box so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

17 hours ago, GammaMage said:

Their darkshields are also very useful.

This is true. They are quite a solid unit  

If you get mystic shield on them its really good! its their offensive capability that's lacking. 

Maybe i'm just playing them badly but I have never managed to achieve much with them.

Edited by Twitch of Izalith

You have to charge with them if you want them to actually hurt stuff, but I find they're fast enough to grab objectives, and, barring lots of mortal wounds or high rend, tanky enough to hold them.

It would be nice if they got dropped in points. They are a little expensive. Shadowblade Dark Riders are cheaper and faster, but tend to die horribly and don't deal more damage. I don't have much experience with the Freeguilds or Stormcast cavalry so can't speak to their effectiveness.

19 hours ago, GammaMage said:

You have to charge with them if you want them to actually hurt stuff, but I find they're fast enough to grab objectives, and, barring lots of mortal wounds or high rend, tanky enough to hold them.

It would be nice if they got dropped in points. They are a little expensive. Shadowblade Dark Riders are cheaper and faster, but tend to die horribly and don't deal more damage. I don't have much experience with the Freeguilds or Stormcast cavalry so can't speak to their effectiveness.

There is a difference. Dark Riders are light cav and Drakespawn Knights should be considered as heavy cav (a bit slower but sturdier). The Dark Riders are more a skirmishing/disruptive/shooty unit. With their ability they Support, but their damage Overall is very weak. The Knights lack rend so you have to choose targets with a low save as target (wont be effective vs. SCE)

I dont see that much value in the Darkshields as you. Statistically it gives them somewhat a 3+ save. Sure it is a great ability but I want to Charge with my cav. Not stay on combat.

I am totally freaking out because the Dark Elve Warhost Battalion was dropped in GH2!!! It made the Knights so good. Please GW if you here me, give us back the Warhost with 180 Points!!!

I find that, unless I retreat, it's unlikely I'll get to charge more than once anyway. By the time I kill the unit I charged, other stuff has charged into the knights. I dunno if maybe I should use them more as a flanking unit, keep them back till my Bleakswords are engaged and then charge in from the side?

For the dark elves and that also applies for their scions, there is only one rule that must manifest on the table and during the listbuilding:

What gets charged by you Forces MUST be killed!

-> That means every round you choose a target your forces must completly eliminate it or make it unable to fight back. This is the whole way of the druchii and even if we are named differently this rule still is the state of the art.

How to deal with threads now, which exceed the damage capability of a whole 2000 Point army?

1) if you cant deal with it we have to go back to the drawing board and improve our concept
2) tarpit the unit with cheap Corsairs/BSwords/DSpears or even Darkshards if necessary

...this is the reason why I see the Drakespawn Knights charging not defending.

Was wondering - if you run a realm reavers batallion, can you (in this sequence)

a) Activate the ability that lets you move/charge/etc troops in your hero phase, using this to encircle enemies

and then 

b) Make the dice roll for implacable march.

If so, then seems that Realm Reavers is the way to maximise potential damage from the Implacable March allegiance ability.  As I read it, Implacable March just says you make the roll 'in' the Anvilgard player's hero turn.  Doesn't say you have to make it at any specific point within it (Beginning/End).

I'm not sure I'm actually using the Knights for what most people would actually call a defensive strategy. I don't use them to hold objectives, though they can do that in a pinch. I mostly use them for ranging in front of my army, and engaging enemy forces long enough to for my slower foot troops (Black Guard and Executoners) to move up and charge. So they do often get in a first charge (though sometimes things don't work out and they get charged instead). Now maybe that's what Dark Riders are supposed to be doing, but so far in my games they die too quickly to actually keep the enemy in place long enough to get my elite foot units into charging distance. (The speed boost from Decanter of Egos might change this, will have to test it, but that is a DC artifact, so not relevant to Anvilgard.)

On a slightly different tack, we have spoken a lot about druchii, and mentioned Stormcast, but there are other Anvilgard options we haven't really spoken about, like the Devoted of Sigmar. The Excelsior Warpriest is only 80 points for a 3+ prayer that heals D3 wounds, or deals D3 mortal wounds to a Chaos unit. I played one of these alongside my Treelord for a while and he did quite well. Good support for Dragons/Hydras/Dracothian Guard. I've also used a Witch Hunter to terrorise the local daemon players. They can put out a lot of wounds against daemons or wizards, but their saves are pretty low, and anyone sensible will target them early, so I'm not sure how viable they are. The Warrior Priest is interesting. His attacks are not particually great, but he can be mounted, and if you give him a shield, he has a 3+ save, so if you want a mounted hero that's not on a behemoth, he is something to consider. His prayers only work on Devoted units, but he can always drop them on himself.

We also have access to Dispossesed units, but I don't know much about them. Irondrakes look like they might be useful due to their ranged attacks having rend, but we already have access to Judicators who have that and longer range...though the Irondrakes can put significantly more shots if they don't move.

Edited by GammaMage

disposessed don't really have a place. They have good chaff and okay shooting, but their shooting is all short range and their chaff are all very slow. Unless you are intending to keep your entire army in the very slow movement of the dawi, they would really hold you back.

On 18/10/2017 at 4:32 PM, Kaleun said:

You may use the abilities in the order you please during your hero phase. That makes the discussed Ebondrake Warhost also viable.

Realm Reavers definite seems like way to go - thanks!

Trying to work out how the combo in the Anvilgard box is meant to function when playing as Anvilgard, and thus how to assemble the Stormcast. Do you use the judicators with skybolt bow, and the Knight-Vexillor with Meteoric Standard, to hit the enemy with ranged attacks and force them to close in, and then once they have closed in,  whack the enemy with the scourge privateers using their realm reavers ability to try to encircle them and use the Anvilgard Implacable March ability? *OR* do you give the Judicators the crossbows, the Knight the pennant, and try to throw everything into close combat as quickly as possible, so that you get the maximum chance of encircling them and using Implacable March? As implacable March only comes off on a 5+, it is a bit of risk going all out for encirclement, but I suppose if you can chuck the Judicators into close range in the hero phase and fire the crossbows without moving, getting your extra shooting attack, and then try to charge it is pretty deadly.

Using the 'Vanguard Wing' Stormcast Batallion, with 3 x 10 Prosecutors and 1 x 30 Liberators seems a more effective way of encircling the enemy and using Implacable March.  But too cheesy?

12 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Am i right in thinking that when fighting against anvilgard i could flank with chargey cav units, be forced to retreat 6 inches by this allegiance ability, and be able to charge right back into combat with fresh charge buffs? Sounds great :D

Except they force you back in their hero phase, so could then charge you....

On ‎20‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 5:27 PM, Sheriff said:

Am i right in thinking that when fighting against anvilgard i could flank with chargey cav units, be forced to retreat 6 inches by this allegiance ability, and be able to charge right back into combat with fresh charge buffs? Sounds great :D

The Anvilguard ability Triggers in the Anvilguards-OWNERS hero Phase. So if you are able to Charge in your round the Anvilguard Player might have made a mistake in his round.

On ‎20‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 5:51 PM, wanderingrogue said:

So is there a "list" yet for anvil guard?

Or is it still all highly experimental..

look in the Posts above and find our suggestions...

• 2 months later...

My latest Approach to the Anvilguard:

Allegiance: Anvilgard
Dreadlord On Black Dragon (320)
- General
- Lance of Spite & Tyrant Shield
- Trait: Master of Defense
- Artefact: Quicksilver Potion
Dreadlord On Black Dragon (320)
- Lance of Spite & Tyrant Shield
- Artefact: Talisman of Blinding Light
10 x Drakespawn Knights (320)
10 x Drakespawn Knights (320)
1 x Drakespawn Chariots (100)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
- Allies
3 x Aetherwings (60)
- Allies
5 x Dark Riders (120)
- Allies
War Hydra (200)
Ebondrake Warhost (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 108

I will use old "Dark Elve Harpies" as the Aetherwings to Keep the clean druchii style to my army, The plan is to rush Forward as fast as possible. The Dragons and Aetherwings can fly over the enemy while Cavalry and the Chariot can take the enemy head on. The list lacks Mortal Wounds but the Implacable March should make up for it.

If I read it right, also the Shadowblade-Dark Riders should now make use of the Implacable March of the Anvilguard allegiance, because we have the right allegiance. Artefacts/traits are order related.

What do you think?

A friend is starting AoS with Anvilgard so I've been reading their rules and for what I've understood you can't take allies at all if you play a firestorm city as it specifically says that an army of "x city" can only have models from the following list of alliegances, and don't list any ally options, so right now you can't take Dark Raiders. You could ally aetherwings however as stormcasts are listed in the armies you can take with Anvilgard. That said I think the list, while solid, would be better if you had some chaff, maybe it's me coming from 40k, but screens are invaluable in my opinion, and in Anvilgard you should really benefit from having, well, an anvil :P, so that your faster units can surround the enemy while your infantry makes a frontal charge.