New World Wide Campaign Kicking Off Soon

So I was in my local GW this weekend, and manager was talking to me about an upcoming official GW campaign coming up later this month or early next month. He's yet to see all the details, but he believes it will be based in the Realm of Life (linked in to latest General's Handbook and Sylvaneth release?).

All results will need to be registered with your local GW though the games don't have to be played there. Results will shape where the fluff continues.

He got me super pumped for it at any rate.

Basically, the Storm of Chaos was meant to happen in stages. The winner of each faction (good guys, chaos, orcs + stuff) would determine how things went to the next step. What GW didn't anticipate was that both the good guys and the orcs thoroughly stomped chaos by silly margins. By the initial rules, chaos barely makes it out of the wastes. This is kind of lame, so GW changes the result. It ends with a mega-fookin-huge battle outside middenheim. Good and evil fight to a standstill. Then Grimgor comes in, 'eadbutts Archaon (but doesn't kill him), says "I'M DA BEST" and leaves. The end.

Even the orc players were annoyed after that.

Amazing freakin releases though. Slayer army, Sylvanian army, Teutogen guard, the new (current) chaos warriors. All round great stuff.

What GW didn't anticipate was that both the good guys and the orcs thoroughly stomped chaos by silly margins.

I can see this happening again - Stormcast and Seraphon on the one hand; and Monstrous Arcanum on the other.

2 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

Basically, the Storm of Chaos was meant to happen in stages. The winner of each faction (good guys, chaos, orcs + stuff) would determine how things went to the next step. What GW didn't anticipate was that both the good guys and the orcs thoroughly stomped chaos by silly margins. By the initial rules, chaos barely makes it out of the wastes. This is kind of lame, so GW changes the result. It ends with a mega-fookin-huge battle outside middenheim. Good and evil fight to a standstill. Then Grimgor comes in, 'eadbutts Archaon (but doesn't kill him), says "I'M DA BEST" and leaves. The end.

Even the orc players were annoyed after that.

Amazing freakin releases though. Slayer army, Sylvanian army, Teutogen guard, the new (current) chaos warriors. All round great stuff.

Yeah they did a couple of campaigns but they always had the problem that they could not permit too much change, i.e. you can't have the good guys thrash the Chaos hordes and invade the Chaos Wastes, because how is Chaos then a credible threat? "Oh no, here comes Archaon... look there he goes back to irrelevance. Alright who is up for a cup of tea?

With the new setting if played well we could have some impact on the setting, like making available to Chaos Players corrupted sylvaneth or some new character for Order depending on results, but given the immensity of the setting this would only represent a small tip in the scales one way or another.

Also it is a good opportunity to start getting players emotionally invested in the world.

I was chatting to a GW staff member last week and he told me pretty much the same, each continent is a different realm, NZ/AUS is Realm of Death , UK is Realm of Life. Results won't only impact fluff, but also the armies which are most strongly represented will also get new models / new ranges developed based on their perceived popularity. So you need to turn up and represent your favorite faction! I've been building up a Nurgle/Pestilens force, so looking forward to it, fits pretty well with the Realm of Life, hoping to turn up to some games

13329367_483120501884748_3798650062615440213_o.jpg

The old worldwide campaigns were great to play in. Particularly Storm Of Chaos and Eye Of Terror (Albion or Armageddon were less fun, IMO) It was exciting to be playing games and knowing that they were having some small effect on the lore and to interact with a community that was planning grand strategy for your faction then seeing how those plans played out.

The problems came after the event in making in-universe sense of the results: Chaos loosing SoC; what to do with Valten afterwards; how to explain Chaos conquering Cadia but not controlling the space around it etc. As @mhsellwood said the big advantage of the seven realms in AoS is that things can be changed in major ways and it will not effect the universe as a whole. Order may re-conquer Ghur but be pushed out of Ghyran and it won't matter to the over all narrative of the struggles between the gods and their agents. 

I can't wait for it to start. It'll be a great excuse to play lots of games! 

1 hour ago, Dangermouse425 said:

Can't wait for this, will be great to run an AoS campaign at my local club.

A campaign, especially a escalation-styled one, would be a fantastic way to try and build your AoS community at your local club too.

I've been running an escalation league at my club. Really helped bring people into AoS. So definitely do it.

I'm a bit concerned about how results and such are posted though. I heard somewhere that only results given to GW stores will count. That leaves out a lot of people and places. On the other hand, it's pretty open to skewing results if not.

9 hours ago, James McPherson said:

I was chatting to a GW staff member last week and he told me pretty much the same, each continent is a different realm, NZ/AUS is Realm of Death , UK is Realm of Life. Results won't only impact fluff, but also the armies which are most strongly represented will also get new models / new ranges developed based on their perceived popularity. So you need to turn up and represent your favorite faction! I've been building up a Nurgle/Pestilens force, so looking forward to it, fits pretty well with the Realm of Life, hoping to turn up to some games

If this is true... I don't know what to think. Stormcast will be well represented, obviously. Khorne and Nurgle likewise. But there's a lot of factions that need attention that won't make a mark in this system. It's pretty ambitious though. Considering new models have a 2 years or more lead time, this is the opening phase of a very long term plan.

32 minutes ago, Darth Alec said:

If this is true... I don't know what to think. Stormcast will be well represented, obviously. Khorne and Nurgle likewise. But there's a lot of factions that need attention that won't make a mark in this system. It's pretty ambitious though. Considering new models have a 2 years or more lead time, this is the opening phase of a very long term plan.

I think it's more for the story progression. All Grand Alliances will be represented in each Realm and depending on the results it will change the outcome of their standing in that Realm alone. It won't limit what factions you can play, as that will exclude a lot of peoples from playing and GW want to maximise the impact of the global campaign.

I didn't mean that any factions will be excluded. I just figured that if the armies with the best/most results will get more cool stuff in the future, well then it's going to be a Stormcast/Chaos-sausage fest for another few years.

5 minutes ago, Darth Alec said:

I didn't mean that any factions will be excluded. I just figured that if the armies with the best/most results will get more cool stuff in the future, well then it's going to be a Stormcast/Chaos-sausage fest for another few years.

Ahh, true. But Stormcasts aren't popular in my group at all.

I don't think they meant unfairly focusing on them more than other races, just that they will get a cool new mini or two, doesn't have to be anything crazy does it? As for the 2 yr lead time, maybe they already had them designed or fast tracked? I don't see why a GW staff member would make any of it up. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt seeing as, you know, he gets paid to work in a GW store ;)

it's hard for GW to actually manage, as they found out before, everyone's games so this was they have a center structure to record in. Not perfect, but cool enough. Maybe individual stores will work with area far from the GW shop to play and report games. Never know... :) 

5 minutes ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

So does this mean the campaign is starting on June 11th? My local GW manager told me it started in late July.

We don't know yet. They may do a lead up and give people notice of what to expect.

Also running it before releasing the General's Handbook would seem backwards.

oh man, my first large AoS event in the US is the weekend after this Muster weekend. Good timing. Though I need to get over to a game store quick to add some Fyreslayers reinforcements :) Wonder if that will be the weekend with more detailed info. It will make for fun hobby talk for all of us there.

Wouldn't surprise me to see something in this week's White Dwarf outlining what's likely to happen etc and then go live next month.  A month run-up time doesn't seem unreasonable and then it'll run over the School summer holidays in the same way previous get involved schemes have run.  I imagine each store will have it's own "progress" chart and I expect some stores will run their own little events alongside it (I know Swindon store will do extended hours for things like this).

Archived