Paladins

Ben

It seems retributors are flat out better in tournament settings. Teleporting them into someone's face is just too good. Auto-mortal wounds, exploding hits and good overall damage is so all-round effective that you don't need the special effects of the other paladins.

For less "cost effective" games, the other guys look like a lot of fun. Protectors are cool and have solid situational rules. Decimators are much more interesting in games with lots of infantry, which non-tournaments are likely to be.

I ran 5 retributors at SCGT and they pack a punch even with a small unit....having 10  protectors though....that hurt...the D6 damage vs monsters pretty much killed Archaon outright..? The 3" reach is fun too! 

Decimators for that game you really want to play with bravery, and stack their bravery penalty with that of the Celestant Prime for nefarious purpose. 

Protectors for when you are facing shooting heavy foes or for when yourmate has been bigging up how tough his new monster is *stab* 'how many wounds?'

Under clashcomp I ran 4 units of paladins, two retributors, one decimators and one protectors. I think my opponents appreciated the variety, although mostly they were just removing models :-D 

Bonus points for fielding SE Paladins alongside Bretonnian peasants as well, as the Paladin keyword amusingly buffs them. 

I plan on running one of each group of Paladins.
I like the Decimators for their large group of small infantry smashing capability.
Most people I play against have large number of some small horde, be they Plaguebearers, Bloodreavers or Skeletons.
I want to run some archers too, so the Protectors doing as their name describes can be useful, and they should be very handy for killing some big monsters (Got a friend with a Glottkin that keep smashing me atm)
Retributors are solid hitters, I unfortunately only have the starter boxes 3 atm, trying to get a full unit of 5. But the 3 of them took down a bloodthirster on their own, so they did quite good.

I have all three kinds of Paladins. If one is looking for the best overall damage dealers then yes the Retributors are the easy choice.

In my opinion though the best Paladin unit is the Protectors are easily the best. First of all they have one of the best abilities in the game. -1 to hit for shooting attacks is really powerfull as it lessens condiderably the ammount of attacks the enemy can score on your units. On top of that it also protects your guys behind which gives you the option to form a line with them and protect almost your whole army if you want.

Secondly they have the ability to slay monsters with ease if you have plenty of them which gives them an edge especially when we think that many monsters out there are really powerful advesaries. Finally they have a valuable 3 inch range with their weapons which enables them to fight even in 3 ranks in combat an ability that the army does not have generally (especially if you measure from bases). And not only that but at times and if the opponent is not careful enough you can attack units or characters who are "shielded" by other units since you can reach behind a line of models.

In my book at least these are very important advantages that make the Protectors the best overall Paladin unit...

Cheers, Sieg. :)

Ive been playing stormcast now since they came out and ive used all 3 variations, decimators are awesome against low armour save infantry blocks but don't really do much against anything else which is y I don't use them as much, retributors are awesome, I used 10 at the SCGT and while they are good they didn't win me any games; the low number of attacks hurts them but when you consider the fact they are still damage 2 even without the mortal wounds they're still a serious threat (especially with a knight vexillor :D or the hammerstrike brotherhood) and when it comes to protectors they are nice but ive found them to be better liberators with 3 attacks theat hit on 3's and wound on 3's they are nice, but it all kind of depends on your areas 'meta' cos they are all gd and bad in different areas. Personally I do want 5 more protectors but I think retributors are still the most all round imo. 

Main reason to take the others is to run the Skyborn Slayers. You have to take Protectors and Decimators. Aside from that they are great toolkits for dealing with infantry and monsters obviously. 

I have yet to run Retributors, I think on paper for sheer damage output you can't beat them to be honest. 

Like @Bedge I have been mostly running protectors and decimators due to them being required in the skyborn slayers.

I think Decimators are probably the most rock paper scissors of the paladins due to the attacks they get per model in reach, all it takes is to come up against an ogre player or someone who knows what they are doing in deployment or how to position their models to mitigate the ability and they have a hard time. Thats why I always run mine with two maces it gives you a little bit more damage out put against monsters or units with a larger base size. I love the bravery bomb ability they have and have found myself giving them up cheaply just to make sure they are in 6" of multiple units and then targeting those units with judicators and making them take the modified bravery test. If you combo this with the prime when he lands its amazing, against DOC Ive found this great too as the modified roll stops them getting models back.

I like protectors just because they can fight anything really they come into their own against monsters of course but with extra attack on their profile I think they don't mind fighting most things. Again I put two maces in unless I am playing a monster heavy list then I only put one in. Ive found them pretty good to shield characters that are in cover too the added -1 to hit when shooting over protectors  combo'd with the character in cover makes makes the squishy lord have a better chance of staying alive.

I think Retributors are still the best probably just for damage output, thats why I am painting another 5...

Protectors are the bees knees imo.  They have range, rend, and utility from the -1 shooting buff and D6 damage against the big guys, which is great with so many huge models on the tables these days.  Plus they look totally bad@**!

Archived