Inhabitants of the Realms

Hey guys. I'm in the process of formulating background for my greenskins, and I am just wondering what do we know about the planes in terms of who lives where? Specifically, is ghur primarily greenskins, ogors, beastmen and skaven? Also just curious as to how you guys imagine each one.

I mean sure, the realm of fire is pretty easy to imagine, but how about ones like shadows, or life?

Are the realms not so vast that loads of races live in each one? I think the angle they've gone for is pretty much anything goes. GW have identified orruks etc as living in Ghur, but they'll no doubt link others to it as time goes on, as well as adding shiny new races. Basically, if they have a cool idea, it'll happen. I'd go with the same philosophy. 

In terms of the look of the Realms, I know what you mean. Fire, Beasts etc are easy enough to imagine.

Life is a massive garden I think. It's all jungle and forest. The majority of it is still Nurgle infested as far as I know (waterfalls of puss!) but I'd guess the Sylvaneth are going to start taking it back in the next release. 

Shadow is murky and...shadowy.

What about Heavens though? Is it a Mount Olympus affair, bathed in heavenly light?  

Every realm has every species. There's no limitations. The realms aren't infinite, but they are vast beyond mortal comprehension.

The realm of Life covers all aspects of life. Lush jungles and rainforests, obviously. But also snowy and sandy deserts, representing death. The whole realm is called cyclical, constantly living, dying and being reborn.

Shadow can be the pale valley beneath high mountains. Or the cold midnight sun over fields of milky white grass. Maybe it's a stormy sea, or endless darkened caverns? These are just some suggestions, and they aren't even far out there. If anything, AoS has more incredible terrain than we are used to.

There is an area of land described as being so vast that it would impossible to cross in one lifetime.

Considering a reasonable amount of distance travelled by a human you could go over 400,000 miles in one lifetime which is over 160 times the width of America or 12 times around the world.

So going by that the realms are pretty big.

However, I believe the descriptions of the realms in the books are best imagined as being written by various scholars or similar as their "understanding" or the realms. Much like in our history when people believed the Atlantic Ocean was endless and that the world was flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Considering a reasonable amount of distance travelled by a human you could go over 400,000 miles in one lifetime which is over 160 times the width of America or 12 times around the world.

So going by that the realms are pretty big.

However, I believe the descriptions of the realms in the books are best imagined as being written by various scholars or similar as their "understanding" or the realms. Much like in our history when people believed the Atlantic Ocean was endless and that the world was flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. If a book says "The Island drifts lazily above the clouds, raining endless torrents of clean water", then that's exactly what's going on. We've already seen floating, sentient island, chained dragons the size of continents, living embodiments of Winter as big as mountains, a vast ring representing all aspects of life attached to the ground by an umbillical cord and much more. The Mortal Realms are fantastical. Throw out your notions of what geography should be. Reality, Tolkein and the Old World have nothing on how the Mortal Realms work. It's High Fantasy, released from the chains of semi-grounded myths.

8 hours ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

The maps in Godbeasts also seem to suggest that the landmasses are not part of planets but rather strips of land floating in the aether and connected via the realmgates and other things (Scourge Privateers are described as being able to sail through the aether).

Yup. The Mortal Realms aren't planets or discs. They are separate realms, divided at the very essence of their nature. Physical, yet inherently magical in nature. The aether (or the void) separates both each part of a realm, and the realms themselves.

23 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

Nicely worded suggestions @Darth Alec

Thanks. It's a lot of fun to think of places in the Mortal Realms.

I think you can assume that wherever there is fighting you'll find Orruks...apart from Azyr as I think the book in the AoS starter box mentions Sigmar booting them out before he shut the gates.  

On 7 June 2016 at 2:39 PM, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

This is how I see it. Someone could easily exaggerate distances when they describe somewhere. We have all done it! 'I went on a 20 mile bike ride this morning!' translates in real terms to 3 miles round the block. 

Archived