A drop in motivation, show me your early figures!

Tomir

Im feeling a little frustrated. Im struggling finding motivation to paint due to a lack of progress skillwise. 

I cant paint for longer than 1hour before having to take a break for atleast 20mins. Meanwhile all the paint ive mixed and blended dries.

i get impatiant and smear paint on without building up to wanted color or diluting the paint. Then i regret and try to fix it.

i do so many small errors that become time consuming to fix.

so i thought of a fun thread to help me.

i want to see your first painted minatures! The worse they look the better!

show me your newest one too love to see good figures and viewing other peoples progress is motovating too.

also how much time between your bad minatuee -- good minature.

I'm afraid the only photographed minis I have are from when I picked up the hobby again properly about 3 years ago. So the blightkings and  warrior are from then, Warchanter is probably my best to date:

IMAG0417.jpg.03303a3d887e70c2597efee98fef9726.jpgIMAG0418.jpg.b307d69d59d9c688c70181a831cd2739.jpg

16179097_1202381526506985_3741880171417404684_o.jpg.abdc8ad3ac5e98101232cb75352d607a.jpg

In terms of helping with drying paint, and layering in general, build yourself a wet palette :) 

I get where you are coming from. Some of your challenges are easily fixed, especially the paint drying too quickly:

Make yourself a wet palette - it sounds like you are not using one -  it is honestly super easy to do, there are plenty of youTube videos on this topic as well.

This Mega Brute was the first model I painted. I did once paint a dwarf model about 10-12 years ago or so but nothing since. I regret painting the "Boss" of my Brutes first. You can clearly see how untidy I am, paint splashes on the yellow armor, yellow paint on the face... it was messy.

b048522f44986c49ee8f627aa61b959c.jpg

I do feel like I am making Progress though, these are the rest of the Brutes and overall I am much happier with them than I am with their "Boss".

537e58f8924656b17b803d58718beb7d.jpg

a6404e30bcd419de2a7e81ae1711c66f.jpg

I doubt I will ever get as good as a lot of people on here are (there are some really damn good painters on here) but I think I will get good enough to not be embarrassed by the models anymore haha.

I started painting in May 2016. And that's my very first mini:

IMAG9132a.jpg.a086c0afd65b5c91ddb8481321

And that is not my last, but my favourite, painted in 2016 December. Eight months between the two. 

P1120537.JPG.f97561b7867901ba547ebe2cff1

Pretty happy with the progression :). However, not much more progression after that, the learning curve is slower now. 

A bunch of folks are telling you to "make a wet palette" well ... here's the video I used to make my first wet palette:

Take care of your brushes is also important...

I find that working "inside" the GW "paint system" helps. While I do some custom colors, I find that for tabletop+ quality the system does a good job to get me from point a to point b.

I have a pot of water, a regular palette, a wet pallette and a paper towel.

If I'm going to step away, I make sure to clean the paint off the brush (at least wash it out in the water pot and dry it on the towel.)

I typically only put out enough paint for the next couple minis. And I will work "assembly line" doing the same step for each of the 5 in the current group.

8 hours ago, Chillpill said:

This Mega Brute was the first model I painted. I did once paint a dwarf model about 10-12 years ago or so but nothing since. I regret painting the "Boss" of my Brutes first. You can clearly see how untidy I am, paint splashes on the yellow armor, yellow paint on the face... it was messy.

b048522f44986c49ee8f627aa61b959c.jpg

I do feel like I am making Progress though, these are the rest of the Brutes and overall I am much happier with them than I am with their "Boss".

537e58f8924656b17b803d58718beb7d.jpg

a6404e30bcd419de2a7e81ae1711c66f.jpg

I like seeing that the brutes get better and better.

?

here is my first 15 years ago and my newest ones now after a break of 11 years.

IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_2433.JPG

7 hours ago, Kessler said:

And that is not my last, but my favourite, painted in 2016 December. Eight months between the two. 

Pretty happy with the progression :). However, not much more progression after that, the learning curve is slower now. 

What a perfect display of progress! Must be so satisfying. :) great share!

6 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

A bunch of folks are telling you to "make a wet palette" well ... here's the video I used to make my first wet palette:

Take care of your brushes is also important...

Thank you, ive been looking for something like this. I knew there are alot of videos but that almost been the problem. Theres been so many videos and alot lf them are long. Hard to figure out which ones are good videos or not. ?

11 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

I'm afraid the only photographed minis I have are from when I picked up the hobby again properly about 3 years ago. So the blightkings and  warrior are from then, Warchanter is probably my best to date.

IMAG0417.jpg.03303a3d887e70c2597efee98fef9726.jpgIn terms of helping with drying paint, and layering in general, build yourself a wet palette :) 

Finaly made a wetpallet. Omg painting is gonna be so much fun. Showed the pallet with some color blends to her and she thought it was pretty genious (she's a really good canvas painter who also does alot of random art from glass to mosaic, cosplay and mask making) was fun showing her a trick ?

Is that warrior the old editon or do they still look like that in age of sigmar? 

This is my first one, from October last year. Not too dire but not up to my current standards either:

20170225_131006.jpg.af2f6bf823dc7f837bf06ff6a20c2ac7.jpg

20170225_131055.jpg.81b7abf4956b043300df27c3c095decb.jpg

And this is one of my more recent models, not quite finished yet though:

20170909_143609.jpg.e772d56c98bb1c3454ba2486f2024120.jpg

So while I don't make as much progress as I'd like to either I think I can now make some decent models.

You will get there, I am sure!

4 hours ago, Tomir said:

Finaly made a wetpallet. Omg painting is gonna be so much fun. Showed the pallet with some color blends to her and she thought it was pretty genious (she's a really good canvas painter who also does alot of random art from glass to mosaic, cosplay and mask making) was fun showing her a trick ?

Is that warrior the old editon or do they still look like that in age of sigmar? 

Hah my girlfriend is big into art as well, she was upset when she tried to teach me colour theory and I already knew it :PChaos warriors still look like that. Not the most dramatic poses, but easy to headswap/weapon swap.

16 hours ago, Kessler said:

That is amazing progress!

52 minutes ago, Wraith01 said:

The more you paint the better you get at it. If you give up now you'll never get to be good at it. Take it easy, be patient and like people have already mentioned use a wet pallet. 

Not giving up! :)

Im making the figures and stuff a part of a livingroom geekgasm display.  A section with all my doctor who stuff etc.

Once im done with my high elf, beastmen, greenskins, ogre and vampire counts army (in 2 years maybe ?) then im definetly making a Drwho universe conversion army. Daleks, cybermen, ood's. Diffeent doctors and masters as heroes. Allready started to scavange for parts and ideas. 

3 hours ago, Chillpill said:

That is amazing progress!

Thanks! If any new painters read it then best thing for me were tutorial videos in YouTube. Warhammer TV + several others. 

I started with Ogors which also helped: bigger models, smaller units. I later painted 20 savage orruks and got bored and therefore a bit sloppy. I think Ogors are best choice for beginners, easy to paint, fast to paint, but many possibilities to improve. 

Another thing I did was that with every new unit I wanted to try new thing: more thinning, try drybrush, wet blending with next one, then dry blending etc etc. It was easy to learn one thing at a time and more fun. 

On 9/8/2017 at 3:48 PM, Tomir said:

Im feeling a little frustrated. Im struggling finding motivation to paint due to a lack of progress skillwise. 

I cant paint for longer than 1hour before having to take a break for atleast 20mins. Meanwhile all the paint ive mixed and blended dries.

One of these days, I do need to take pictures to post because I do keep some of my early paint jobs around for nostalgia.  

I only wanted to add that taking a break is a good thing.  If you are static for too long, you could start to feel ergonomic issues.  If you are planning a long painting session, try to take a break about every 50 minutes to stretch, go to the bathroom, rest your eyes, or whatever.  Back, neck, and wrist issues are no fun and will make painting either a chore or impossible. *Former safety manager hat off*

Your mini looks good.  The only two things I would suggest are to look at the bumps on the front part of his cloak, between his legs, and to paint the gravel on the base.  Since the miniature is painted, it looks more natural to paint the base as well.  Mixing real world with paint often looks unnatural.

Archived